1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit: Yellow Submarine

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Orthanc, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

OMG You did it! :clap:

2. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

:lol:

Nah, the Yellow Submarine is too advanced for our navy, it uses gasoline. Honestly, when I was in Halifax (over a year ago) we had our subs parked there, they were quite pitiful.

Reminds me of when someone was playing Axis and Allies they kept moving around the lone tank in Canada going "Squeaky,Squeaky,Squeaky,Squeaky", it was funny but true.

3. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Ha ha, I forgot you were Canadian. Glad you got the joke. (If it is a joke!)

I might get around to playing some Axis & Allies this week, I'll have to remember the "squeaky squeaky" part for sure! :lol: (Although in WW2, we did make some really nice Lancaster Bombers, I hear.)

4. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

[offtopic]
    The entirely canadian CF100 was also a very good (and extremely fast) fighter for its day.

5. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Canada had a good military until the 1950's, pretty much the instant the government destroyed the Avro Arrow :( :mad: project our military became a joke.

Yeah we're off topic but I don't mind if it's about Canada

6. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Wait, Canada is Real? I thought it was Make-belive!

7. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

They got rid of the Arrow for Faulty American Missles. :lol:

8. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

The Avro Arrow was not a missle, but an interceptor. It looked as if it would be quite capable.
    http://www.avroarrow.org/

9. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

from those shots i dare say it was amazingly modern looking- i mean for a end of the 50s plane (I have seen the mainstray of British planes of that time- nothing to do with this beauty- the sixties were comming and this was the look of the decades to come)

10. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Yeah the Avro Arrow could have made us the leading air power aside from the states as long as they didn't steal our design or something, it would still be at the very least a decent aircraft even today. Destroying the program to replace it with missiles which never were used was definately the stupidess thing our government has done, probably ever, and that's saying something. Hopefully government agents aren't after me right now for saying that. :mischief:

Yeah, the states ignore our existence to such a degree that they even started testing missiles over our oil rigs:

US General: Ok, we need to test these missiles somewhere, but all the deserted islands were taken out during our nuclear tests in the cold war."

Some ignorant McDonalds worker: Hey there's nothing to the north except a bunch of trees and rocks! Let's test missiles over there!

US General: Sounds good! We only get gasoline to fuel our fleet of anti-nature SUV's from there, start the tests!

Some guy on an oil rig: Darn it, not again!

11. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Oh now, it is not that bad.
    Not the cancellation of the Avro Arrow, that was unfortunate.
    But USA <> Canada relations aren't so bad south of the border. Any animosity is purely on the northern side. No American statesman has ever insulted anything Canadian (I seem to remember the opposite not being the case). Most Americans are well aware of Canadians (and favourably disposed), just less thought is devoted to the Canadian state.
    The problem for Canada (the state, not the people) is the lack of a presence on the world stage. Considering that they have a population larger then all of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland and all the Baltic states combined, Canada is remarkably quiet on the world stage; they seem content to focus most of their money and time on their own affairs. On the flip side, Canada has roughly 1/10th the population of the USA and 1/3 that of Mexico... can you say that the attention other North Americans pay to things Canadian is all that out of proportion?

Have a real beer and pity those of us who live south of the border.

12. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Wow, I had no idea we out-populated the Scandinavians, Baltics and Alpines! I did know that California outpopulates us, but then it's typical for Canadians to think about how relatively unimportant we are than the other way around. Shows, don't it? ;)

13. Commodore

Commodore Deity

C'mon, you Canadians aren't unimportant, at least not in my mind. I think you guys do a lot of things that should be done here in the States(*cough, cough* healthcare :mischief: ). Anyway I personally am a fan of our neighbors to the North :goodjob: .

14. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

~1/4 of Mexico- and about 10 million less population than all those states added together (leave out Sweden and Estonia and you got it) still I am surprised of finding 32 million Canadians running about this planet- must be all those Mexican friends o mine who said they wanna study someplace exciting outside Mexico city... and then they chose Canada :lol:

15. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Unfortunately with all of the recent scandals etc. we'll probably be losing our free health care system, or at least most of it. It's really quite depressing.

Yeah, considering our quasi-recent self centeredness (again, government's fault) your probably right, Canada does contribute to the UN more than any other country (I read that about a year or two ago, might have changed since then) but they don't seem to be doing much (or at least nothing noteworthy) right now.

16. Corn Shucker

Corn Shucker Great Khorn

Who doesn't like Canada?! Good fishing! lol. I also enjoy vacationing there which I've done on several occasions. I must say Vancover has to be one of the cleanest cities I've visited! And Victoria is just lovely :) lol. I love Canada!

17. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

I got my numbers from the CIA, a reasonably reliable source so long as you're not looking for WMD.
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2119.html
    They have 2005 estimated population numbers.

For example, Mexico has 106.2 million and canada has 32.8, so 1/3 is indeed closer then 1/4.

For the other, I simply added wrong in my head.. as I was not off by 10 but 15. oops.

@Orthanc,
    No nation pays even close to what the USA pays to the UN. Canada is 7th in contributions, paying around 40.6million (77.8 incl peacekeeping), while the USA is the special payer for the UN paying more then all others combined. In 2005 the total the USA is expected to contribute is 3.7 billion. This does not include several billion the USA loaned to the UN, which is unlikely to be repaid. Nor does it include additional specials costs associated with hosting the UN. And the USA contribution to the UN peace keeping (not included) is even more out of wack.
    Considering how hostile the UN is to the USA, I am quite surprised that the USA bothers to send any money let alone so much.
    I'm not saying that a single place to meet and talk about stuff is bad... I'm just saying that the American government seems to be more altruistic then I might be if I were King.

18. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

Encyclopedia Brittanica, 2005 estimates as well. Lemme C what I got here (not that it matters):

~2005 est. (in millions)
    Estonia: 1.4
    Latvia: 2.5
    Lithuenia: 3.6
    Austria: 8
    Norway 4.5
    Sweden: 9
    Denmark 5.4
    Switzerland: 7.4
    ----------------
    ~ 41.8 mio

Edit: As I thought you probably just missed out one when counting them together: Your source estimates 41.920958 million. Still just about 10 million off, relax.

As to Orthanq's quote I can only imagine the contribution was seen in terms relative to either GDP, military capability and size or seen as per/head figure. The greatest contribution with regards to % of military made available to the UN is made by Austria, btw. (being a neutral country without enemies at its borders it signed off most of it its army for possible UN duties- again a relative point of view, since Austria has a tiny military).

19. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Yeah as I said the figure I heard was probably outdated, it probably was also relative as you suggest. As also before mentioned our current state of affairs has probably vastly hindered any international involvment, the only significant contribution to the world we've made in the last while that I can think of is the funds and supplies sent for Tsunami relief back in December/January.

Canada probably does best just providing services like education, though apparently in Alberta we have potentially the second largest oil supply in the world, sorta a recent event.

PS: How did we get to talking about Canada again?

20. Level

Level Prince

I like the yellow submarine, somebody should make a strawberry field resource.

Canada is the second most favorite country of most people in the US and the first for a quite a few.