[GS] New units in Gathering Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Televangelists.

There's no real leadership there. It's just a fleece. What do you call a person that could wield mass media and social media masterfully and rather than grift his or her followers, exact meaningful change for the better in the world?

I don't think we've seen such a thing on the side of good, but hopefully we will.

There's no real leadership there. It's just a fleece. What do you call a person that could wield mass media and social media masterfully and rather than grift his or her followers, exact meaningful change for the better in the world?

I don't think we've seen such a thing on the side of good, but hopefully we will.
They could add influencers haha. The model should be a teen girl with her phone held up for a selfie.

What if each future era government unlocked a unique unit for it? That would fill out 3 of the remaining units. Most likely non-combat units, but I could see them wanting that as another way to differentiate the final era of governments.

More units equals more immersion which to the average player is more important.
Not if you don't ever use them, it doesn't. You could have the next one researched before the previous one finished building. The only time I ever used WWI Infantry was when I happened to be at war at the very moment it was researched. Otherwise I was always on to Infantry by the time they saw combat.

More is not always better, especially when there's an opportunity cost; units eat up art and design budget. Every superfluous unit you add is a another potentially interesting new unit that you have to give up. I'm not against having more units, but I think they need to fit in the game's pacing to be useful.

I prefer televangelists to be a policy card that produces faith from broadcast towers and slowly pressure nearby cities to convert citizens to the respective majority religion of each city with broadcast towers.
As much as it doesn't make sense to be a policy card for a government, I like the idea.

I prefer televangelists to be a policy card that produces faith from broadcast towers and slowly pressure nearby cities to convert citizens to the respective majority religion of each city with broadcast towers.

On it's own, I'm cool to this idea, but in a game world with culture-spreading rock band tours and mountain leaping movie-robots, this fits right in.

Plus I'm on record for arguing that more religious buildings should generate some culture and vice versa, and this fits right in with that. Overall, it would probably be a positive addition to the game.

Okay, I just had another ugly thought: what if the 4 unknown generic units are actually just the different graphic states for the 4 modular upgrades for the GDR?

Sorry to be a downer, but if it's true that there are no other Future Era units, I don't see where in the tech tree they're supposed to fit. It seems unlikely that all 4 would be unlocked in the Civics tree, since that would double the number unlocked there.

Okay, I just had another ugly thought: what if the 4 unknown generic units are actually just the different graphic states for the 4 modular upgrades for the GDR?

Sorry to be a downer, but if it's true that there are no other Future Era units, I don't see where in the tech tree they're supposed to fit. It seems unlikely that all 4 would be unlocked in the Civics tree, since that would double the number unlocked there.

To claim the upgrades are units of their own would be quite the blunder. I really hope this is not the case and that the remaining 4 units are not in the scenarios either.

They might have excluded them from the build altogether, personally I think they might have decided to make the civics tree more on par with the tech tree by including units along the civics, after all we have seen very little of it compared to the tech tree.

I really hope this is not the case and that the remaining 4 units are not in the scenarios either.
I'm quite sure that the WWI scenario at least will have some own units. You don't want to have Musketmen or Infantry as it looks right now fighting in that scenario. I doubt that it counts towards the 18 units though - the Huskarl and Janissary weren't advertised as new units and it would be stupid to do so.

Another possibility: FXS miscounted :p Miscounting by 4 seems very unlikely though. I wonder if one or two supply units might get a future era upgrade though. Healing a GDR with a supply truck seems somewhat odd.

I'm quite sure that the WWI scenario at least will have some own units. You don't want to have Musketmen or Infantry as it looks right now fighting in that scenario. I doubt that it counts towards the 18 units though - the Huskarl and Janissary weren't advertised as new units and it would be stupid to do so.

Another possibility: FXS miscounted :p Miscounting by 4 seems very unlikely though. I wonder if one or two supply units might get a future era upgrade though. Healing a GDR with a supply truck seems somewhat odd.

Similarly, at least two unit lines (Ranged and Light Cavalry) end in Atomic instead of Information, so there's that.

A thought occurred to me while looking over the statements about the WWI Scenario. It is supposedly based on a 'Guns of August' scenario in 1914. IF the scenario has scenario-specific units that are accurate (never a sure thing with Firaxis, admittedly), then the German and French infantry would both be in uniforms virtually identical to what they wore in 1870: French in dark blue with red trousers and kepi, Germans/Prussians in pickelhaube helmet, dark blue (or early feldgrau, but in Civ VI scale that's scarcely noticeable) uniform and jackboots.
That means, regardless of Firaxis' intentions, both units could also represent the black powder Rifleman as well as the 'Great War' infantry.
Just a thought to start some Modders salivating...

The only thing that makes me slightly optimistic about this is that they have specifically related the scenario to the 'open field' battles of August-September 1914, before the ugly trench warfare set in, and the traditional 'look' of WWI infantry with steel helmets and drab uniforms didn't start until a year later.
For the trivia-pursuit among you, the British 'Brodie' helmet, the one used for GWI in Civ V, was adopted in late 1915 by the UK and in 1917 by the USA, the French 'Adrian' helmet also adopted in late 1915, and the German 'coal scuttle' Stahlhelm wasn't issued until 1916, so there's no legitimate reason to have ANY of them in their WWI scenario as it has been described.

Boris G: Didnt the French use also lots of cavalry at that point of the war ?

-----

Someone thought of this one: what if the new three future goverments have a unique unit for each

Boris G: Didnt the French use also lots of cavalry at that point of the war ?
:D Who DIDN'T use cavalry charges in the opening stages of the war?

That means, regardless of Firaxis' intentions, both units could also represent the black powder Rifleman as well as the 'Great War' infantry.
Just a thought to start some Modders salivating...

I have been lurking on this forum since civ4 and have seen you posting for years, but i only just realized your forum handle was Gudenuf (good enough) and not Gudendorf.
Anyways, I really miss riflemen - so maybe this scenario means a quick and easy mod to put one of my favorite units in at rifling!

Of course, I hope they'll add units relevant to the scenario but I also hope these are not counted toward the global unit additions to the main game.

The problem I have with introducing a Rifleman unit is that it turns the Melee class into the relative overloaded mess that the Cavalry class will become in Gathering Storm.

At least at the moment there's a Era gap between Musket and Infantry that allows a few Unique Units to shine, namely RedCoats and Garde Imperiale (and maybe Janissaries?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom