New Units: Pterodactyls 4/16/04

OMG I LOVE YOU KINBOAT!

This is the only thing missing from the Dino unit line for NA! Yay!
I am a happy camper.
I love all your animal units, but this one makes me extatic!
:goodjob:

My only suggestion would be to make the shadows smaller next time you make an air unit (even if it's not an air unit, it's definitely a flying unit, hehe).

I mean, it's basic physics :) All the airplanes are done that way. Oh, if you're saying that they are just floating above ground, or they are ment to look huge on Civ3 scale, I can't say anything.

It's very well done, though. I mean, I can't argue against anyone else on this thread :)

Great stuff, I always enjoy seeing new kinboat graphics!

Now how about one of those salamander type units? A lizard on all fours with a big crest down its back, breathes fire... okay maybe I'm asking too much!

Actually the farther away the unit is from the ground the bigger the cast shadow would be (and less distinct but anyway). And there are a few problems with making the shadows smaller with my current method... Namely I really wouldn't be able to alter the size of the shadow without altering the size of the unit... I can't really mess with the physics of the cast light.

I told you there was some good demand for these, Kinboat - Thanks for making more than one variation - helps me tremendously!:goodjob:

Very Nice Kin, works perfect for a raken. It would be even more perfect with a Seanchan on it :)

I can't tell you how grateful I am for this. My mod is going to be so much more complete.

For the dinosaur resource, I've been using the C3C Rubber resource that came with the Mesoamerica scenario (the one that looks like balls), and calling it Dino Eggs.

Wow, these are great!

The Pterodactylus and Pteranodon, as well as the rattan-wielding Panda, can now be seen in action in "BBW, with Dinos" version 2.00.

Kinboat, you rock! ;)

-- Darryl

(Aaglo's "faux Plesiosaur" is in there, too!)

Originally posted by Sword_Of_Geddon
Why the panda? Its not a Dinosaur?

In "Bigger, Better Worlds," Genetic Engineering allows you to create the Dinosaur Park wonder, which produces Tyrannosaurs. But in "BBW, with Dinos," that wonder doesn't make much sense, since genetic engineering isn't required to bring back dinosaurs if they never left. So I replaced the Dinosaur Park wonder with the Panda Park wonder, which produces artificially-created sentient Pandas. OK, sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I really like the Panda unit. ;)

Of course, now I'm trying to figure out how to justify adding Kinboat's whole panda line....

-- Darryl

Well that's easy to justify... What happened in all the Jurassic Park movies? They escaped and 'found a way'... So the Panda's have escaped from the park and are now wandering around performing random acts of violence :D

Originally posted by Kinboat
Well that's easy to justify... What happened in all the Jurassic Park movies? They escaped and 'found a way'... So the Panda's have escaped from the park and are now wandering around performing random acts of violence :D

But pandas are lovable and cute! (Or at least, that's what they pay their publicists to say....)

Anyway, the problem is that the wonder can only produce *one* unit. I could get around that by dumping the wonder completely and just making various panda units available after Genetic Engineering is researched, but that still leaves the panda worker and the far-too-cute panda settler largely useless, since they'd only become available in the latter part of the Modern Age.

I need to come up with some justification for having Pandas available from the beginning. As the presence of dinos already puts the mod firmly into fantasy land, anyway, I'm leaning toward an "alien interference" angle, with sentient pandas and dinosaurs both being the creations of space aliens with too much time on their hands. But that would work best if the Saurians and the Pandas could be separate civs, since I can't really see them working together. But that would require a panda leader....

Hmm, let's see, now.... Who was it that created that T-Rex leaderhead I'm using for the Saurian leader? He could probably create a really good Panda leaderhead. Um.... Oh, yeah, it was you.... ;)

-- Darryl

(I'm not really trying to hijack your thread, by the way....)

Pandas..why am I suddenly reminded of that character in Tekken 3?

@ Ozymandias
I'm trying to recall an SF novel where some pseudo-supernatural disaster leaves different parts of earth in different eras. Perhaps there's a mod in this to utilize all your excellent work

Could it be the novel Darwinia?

I dont hink so- I know of the book hes talking about- though i too forget the name, it s has somthign to do with luek footprints of thunder or somthing, but this may be because it had a dinsoar foot on the cover, or at least the copy my dad got (and that I read)

Top Bottom