New Units: Trenches July 1, 2004

Kinboat said:
That's an excellent idea Neomega... I couldn't figure out how to have them stay on the map and it was sort of bothering me :D

I'd give them a fairly good bombard so you are almost assured of a hit. Maybe even give them an increased rate of fire so they have a chance to really wound (maybe even kill) the attacker. After all they would only get that shot once per turn so a determined attacker could sacrifice a junk unit and then swarm with their more powerful stuff.

I guess it would depend on the era as to the bombard value of the trench.

But only firepower of 1 works on 0-range bombard units. (I've tried :( )

If this was made with a 3d model it would be neat for a couple of them, (maybe the standalone, and a x shape trench), to have flying flags.

I think I will throw in a flag or two...

Ooh ooh.... and the capture animation on the flagged units can have the flag go down.

Neomega's idea is best except there is problem: if you make the trenches passively bombard with zero range, they can only do max 1hp of damage thanks to the hardcode put in by some hardhead. Is it worth having the unit given this lame restriction? I'd say yes but more for the graphics effect than anything else. They're going into the Vietnam mod. Non-buildable, immobile, preplaced at beginning.

It would be funny if some modders who insist on making static defense units like firebases, bunkers etc airdroppable, make this trench also buildable and airdroppable.

"HEADS UP!!! Trench incoming!! Bob, its coming your way!! Move you idiot!!!" :crazyeye: wtf?

Thanks for this, Kinboat.

unscratchedfoot said:
Neomega's idea is best except there is problem: if you make the trenches passively bombard with zero range, they can only do max 1hp of damage thanks to the hardcode put in by some hardhead. Is it worth having the unit given this lame restriction? I'd say yes but more for the graphics effect than anything else. They're going into the Vietnam mod. Non-buildable, immobile, preplaced at beginning.

It would be funny if some modders who insist on making static defense units like firebases, bunkers etc airdroppable, make this trench also buildable and airdroppable.

"HEADS UP!!! Trench incoming!! Bob, its coming your way!! Move you idiot!!!" :crazyeye: wtf?

Thanks for this, Kinboat.

Oww, oh god, that trench just shot me in the ankle!

Trenches really cannot do much damage anyway.... It's not like a trench could kill someone, it is the soldier, fortified by the trench, that does the killing, the trench just adds some protection.

THANKS KINBOAT!!! YES! im so glad you finally did them!!! ill put them right to use!!! Thanks agaiN!!

I have a question... Has anyone actually added these into their game yet? I just took a few and replaced some other unit animations to make the preview (instead of going through the whole process). I'd like to know from someone who has added them how they look. Are any smaller or differently proportioned. I made up a quick and simple flag animation and went to add it to some of the trenches and I noticed at least one looks wierd. So before I go through and redo the whole thing I'd like to know if anyone can see a difference.

Great! Is there a simple way to utilize it? Without the NWTrench, SETrench?
Plus. We put it there, but it shold be Immobile right? So how do we get it to it's place :)

I'm missing the NW, SE trench line? I was sure I had them all.

Yeah immobile would be the ideal situation :D It's designed to be used by scenario creators placing it when they make their scenario's... not actually able to be built in the game.

Top Bottom