1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Version - July 18th (7/18)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jul 18, 2017.

1. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I have a question about golden ages. If I'm not in a golden age, and a use an artist for a golden age, the cost of the next golden age increases. But if I'm already in a golden age, the cost of the next won't increase.

This makes just popping an artist questionable outside of golden ages, the increased cost of the next golden age is a substantial downside. It also makes spamming lots of golden ages in a row a really good strategy. Its actually much cheaper in terms of golden age points to stay going forever, rather than continuously enter and exit. In particular it means that using tradition's early artist for a golden age is a really bad idea

Is this intentional?

2. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

Year i noticed that too, forgot to mention it here. I believe Great Artists should not increase Golden Age cost

3. Funak

Funak Deity

Yeah this sounds right.

vyyt likes this.
  4. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

Agree with the GA thing.

The automatic tile expansion selection mechanism is still ignoring atolls (4f, 2p), it'd be great if this were addressed.

5. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

It's not exactly ignoring them in my experience, it just prefers all the resources instead but will go for an atoll over a regular coast if given the opportunity, so it's about fine.

6. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

I'll play closer attention in my next games, Enrico, perhaps you're right. But I think it should prioritize atolls over marshes, flood plains, cattle, bison, sheep. I don't think it does.

balinte likes this.
  7. joosegoose25

joosegoose25 King

Very small sample size regarding the free tenet change, but I just played a game where literally every civ in the game went Freedom. I've never seen that before.

8. droberts97470

droberts97470 Warlord

Is community patch (v.88) the newest? That's what shows up on the MODS screen on my machine. If not can somebody point me to the correct download?

9. HalfEmptyMug

HalfEmptyMug Chieftain

The file number usually stays the same through versions, it's the installer you want to make sure is current. The latest version's available through the link at the beginning of this thread, and the link on the "How to Install" page is updated when new versions are released.

10. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

11. Stryfe002

Stryfe002 Chieftain

This also has happened twice in a row for me as well. One of the games someone revolted into Order, dragged two others with them, but everyone appears to follow the first person here.

12. Jarula

Jarula King

Yeah It needs to change back I would propose 3 2 1 for ideologies and bring back 3 factories

13. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

In principle I don't mind the world eventually being dominated by one Ideology on occasion, but it seems boring for that to be the norm.

The easy answer would be to split the difference between the old and the new:
    +2 free tenet as a bonus to the first adopter of any Ideology, and +1 free tenet for any later adopters.​
    (unless I missed the patch changelog where this has already been tried!)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  14. Funak

Funak Deity

Giving extra tenets to the first person who adopts an ideology just means giving more advantages to the person in the lead.

Bromar1 and Owlbebach like this.
  15. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

We need some way to encourage diversification of ideologies, I'm also seeing a distinct lack of cold wars.

You could give a free tenet if you are the first to take an ideology, and you also gain a free tenet if all ideologies have already been taken. Basically the second and third civs to reach an ideology are encouraged to pick whatever remains unpicked, and the later civs still don't fall behind.

Bromar1 likes this.
  16. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

Sure, I understand that snowballing is a big problem. But up to 3 players get the extra "first adopter" tenet, which is nearly half of the Civs (possibly more if Civs were eliminated) on a Standard map.

Consider this: being one of the first Civs to research any given :c5science:Tech gives you some advantage (militarily and/or economically) throughout the game. In my mind, "first to adopt" bonus tenets achieve a similar "race" effect for :c5culture:Social Policies, but only once, for higher stakes, and only affecting the last 1/3 of the game.
    (edit: I guess World Wonders introduce "races" for SPs too, especially the Policy-unlocked ones.)

I think you mean "tenet" when you say "policy" and "Ideology" when you say "tenet"!

CrazyG likes this.
  17. Jarula

Jarula King

Maybe my idea could work...

4 3 2 policies but adopting a ideology makes x turns of resistance per city. and a rebel unit for each... First would be 4 times x turns, second 3 times x turns, subsequent 2 times x turns...

makes things pretty damn cool... adopting an ideology means the rest of the world will try to interfere... (which historically has always happened) and also slows down the late game treadmill... Adopting an ideology means you have to literally fight a civil war for a good amount of time... and very often an invasion.

Lets say the base is 2 right that means 8 turns of civil war on standard 24 turns on marathon. Real pain for the adopter but the 4 free tenets means in the end its worth it.

Plus with such a large number of tenets that means... that all of the AI actually have incentives to pick different ideologies...

And one more thing another way to diversify ideologies is to make more tenets... more policies to choose from... there are 2 extra in tier 2 what if you had 4 choices for tier 3 and an extra 3 choices for tier 1?

For example for Freedom
    Tier 1 adds
    Free Press Adds flat +1 tourism per 4 pop per city +1 culture per 4 pop per city
    World Stage Adds bonus to expending great diplomats and diplomats in city states
    Freedom of Movement Adds +1 happiness for 8 pop

For example for Order
    Tier 1 adds
    Workers Rights each active worker provides +1 happiness +5 culture globally
    Propaganda Department Each guild provides +25% tourism
    Liberation for the Oppressed Every time an opponents players unit is killed within your boundaries an additional +100% culture

18. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Edit fixed it

19. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

In the code, the 'value' of free tenets is actually not all that great. I feel like this is RNGesus playing a joke on us, but I'll look at the numbers. You can look at your own in the PolicyAILog file.

G

20. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

So if I open rationalism 5 turns before you do, I get some bonus science and food for 5 turns more than you do. Is it a nice bonus for me? Yes. But that amount of yields is something that can be overcome.

If I open freedom before you do, I get an entire social policy more than you do. If I remember the discussion that led to the change of all civs getting just 1 tenet, everyone agreed that it rewarded the current leader too much, while the current losers were punished too hard.

It might just be confirmation bias. Or it might be that tourism creates more ideological pressure than it should, faster than it should

Bromar1 likes this.