New Version - May 19th (5-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Railroads no longer provide a movement bonus? I've played three games now (played, ha, LOST) and units get eight tiles of movement of roads, and eight tiles along rails. Am I missing something? A better Civilopedia entry that shows the actual math instead of only the flavour entries would be greatly appreciated.

Also, on this latest play I set up a team, and I can't spread religion to my teammate, nor her allied city-states. She can proselytise to me, no problem, but I can't spread religion to her,,,

Do Railroads no longer provide a movement bonus? I've played three games now (played, ha, LOST) and units get eight tiles of movement of roads, and eight tiles along rails. Am I missing something? A better Civilopedia entry that shows the actual math instead of only the flavour entries would be greatly appreciated.

Also, on this latest play I set up a team, and I can't spread religion to my teammate, nor her allied city-states. She can proselytise to me, no problem, but I can't spread religion to her,,,
Could it be, that your ally was Spain? It's the Unique Ability of Isabella, is, not being convertable by outside.

Last edited:
Pfff... Ya, it was Spain. Dammit, that didn't even occur to me. Yeesh.

Any ideas what's going on with the RR's?
I think this was discussed a while ago, but the discussion died out unresolved if I remember correctly.

RRs should start with the same movement as roads and then get better than roads with certain techs. I think it is fine as they provide other bonuses (to villages), production, let you construct train stations. But the problem for me, unless I am mistaken, is, that they are actually 1 movement worse than roads at the very start (I think a 2- move unit moves 6 tiles on a road, but only 5 on RR).

Someone please correct me if my observation is wrong, cannot check ingame now.

Can confirm railroad is worse because new trade routes prefer a plains tile over a desert hill railroad (but not when it was still a normal road).

Currently road-railroad transitions are the same as road-no-road transitions.

That kills the efficiency until you have a full railroad network up.

The June 12 version may have changed this.

Last edited:
The same thing that happened to road-forest for Pocatello Hiawatha. Is this fixed, then?
You'll have to play a June 12 game to find out (Preferably as Hiawatha so both can be checked at the same time). The ticket is still open, though.

Whatever I'm experiencing, it's not an Rd/RR transition thing. Currently testing the Rd/RR efficiency from a RR tile with 16 RR's trailed out from it, beside a road trail of 16 tiles. I've got all of the Industrial Age techs except for Archaeology. Starting from an RR tile, my Worker (with three move points) can walk 8 tails along the RR, or, transition to the Road directly beside him and continue a further seven tiles (for a total of 8). A worker starting from a Road tile gets the same: 8 if he stays on Roads, and 8 still if he transitions to RR.

Thank you for the GitHub referral, I'll compile a list of everything I've noticed.

Whatever I'm experiencing, it's not an Rd/RR transition thing. Currently testing the Rd/RR efficiency from a RR tile with 16 RR's trailed out from it, beside a road trail of 16 tiles. I've got all of the Industrial Age techs except for Archaeology. Starting from an RR tile, my Worker (with three move points) can walk 8 tails along the RR, or, transition to the Road directly beside him and continue a further seven tiles (for a total of 8). A worker starting from a Road tile gets the same: 8 if he stays on Roads, and 8 still if he transitions to RR.

Thank you for the GitHub referral, I'll compile a list of everything I've noticed.
Are you saying that road-railroad transitions are not a thing for normal units?

It looks like trade route pathfinding may be explicitly different than standard unit pathfinding

It's definitely worth at least a checkout. You'd do us a great favor posting an issue on Github so G and ilteroi could take a look at it.

Erm... I'm not 100% sure we're all talking about the same thing...

I was expecting RR's to increase movement speed, as they have always done. ie: Road's increase movement by a factor of 2, and RR's increase movement by a factor of 3 (or whatever the factors are; I'm simply providing an example).

In my games, they are not doing so. Whatever the movement increase factor for Roads is, RRs have the same factor. So, if I were to lay out to parallel straight lines, one of Roads and one of RR's, units are able to get the same amount of movement along them both. So, if a 2-move unit gets 4 tiles along of Roads, that same unit is also getting 4 tiles of movement along RR's; whereas what I would expect is for that unit to proceed along more tiles in one turn when using RRs, 6 or 8 or whatever. Whether I use the auto-move function with the mouse, or manually move the units along one step at a time using the numpad makes no difference. I have tested this with Workers, Settlers, and various cavalry and archery units.

On long trips along the continent, I have not noticed the "go-to" function taking any weird routes or trying to avoid RR's or Roads or transitions 'twixt the two. Nor have the ranges of my caravan routes seemed odd, though I Have not directly measured them.

Edit: could I get a pointer to the post with directions of how to submit things to the GitHub?

Erm... I'm not 100% sure we're all talking about the same thing...

I was expecting RR's to increase movement speed, as they have always done. ie: Road's increase movement by a factor of 2, and RR's increase movement by a factor of 3 (or whatever the factors are; I'm simply providing an example).

In my games, they are not doing so. Whatever the movement increase factor for Roads is, RRs have the same factor. So, if I were to lay out to parallel straight lines, one of Roads and one of RR's, units are able to get the same amount of movement along them both. So, if a 2-move unit gets 4 tiles along of Roads, that same unit is also getting 4 tiles of movement along RR's; whereas what I would expect is for that unit to proceed along more tiles in one turn when using RRs, 6 or 8 or whatever. Whether I use the auto-move function with the mouse, or manually move the units along one step at a time using the numpad makes no difference. I have tested this with Workers, Settlers, and various cavalry and archery units.

On long trips along the continent, I have not noticed the "go-to" function taking any weird routes or trying to avoid RR's or Roads or transitions 'twixt the two. Nor have the ranges of my caravan routes seemed odd, though I Have not directly measured them.

Edit: could I get a pointer to the post with directions of how to submit things to the GitHub?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/bug-reports-–-please-read.566461/

It's pretty simple actually, you just need to create a Github account. Don't forget to provide logs if possible ;)

OK, I see that now. I just moved on to the Modern Era, and RRs are now providing 12+ tiles of movement.

If I may, it does not make sense, from neither a technological nor a flavour perspective, for RRs to provide zero movement bonus in the industrial age. I understand the value of having them improve and "level up" age-over-age, however, historically, they most certainly provided vast improvements to the ability to transport goods and people as soon as they started to be lain down.

Thank you for the GitHub link.

You can always build a road into the forest for Hiawatha to preserve the movement speed. Same as how you have to build a road into a river tile for Askia. Not sure if that's intended though.

OK, I see that now. I just moved on to the Modern Era, and RRs are now providing 12+ tiles of movement.

If I may, it does not make sense, from neither a technological nor a flavour perspective, for RRs to provide zero movement bonus in the industrial age. I understand the value of having them improve and "level up" age-over-age, however, historically, they most certainly provided vast improvements to the ability to transport goods and people as soon as they started to be lain down.

Thank you for the GitHub link.
The early railroad was very slow. It was used for bulky commodities such as coal and iron, not for troops movement.
Its main benefit was economic, therefore industrial rr boosts villages and allows cities to build a train station.

In fact, in previous versions building a rr actually slowed units movement, which made no sense since it is understood that where there's a rr there's a common road all along.

Industrial railroad is designed now to provide only economic benefits and leaves extra movement for the modern railroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom