Newbie Questions - ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, sorry if this question was in this bench of forum, but i am russian and it is hard to me to read English text - so i am too tired to read whole topic

Plz, answer - how in Play the World can i play using special units like WW2 units or dinasaurs? i thought there must be scenario like WW2. but there are not :(

drag: you only have the unit files, but you need to make a scenario in the PTW editor that USES these units!

go to the C&C forum (customization and creation) - they will help you!

drag79- Here, this thread may help you out:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31576

The PTW units (WW2, dinosaurs, etc) aren't in the game, just the art, sound, and .flc files are in a folder. You or someone else would have to make a mod or scenario to add in the units. So you'll have to create civlopedia.txt, pedialicons.txt entries, make the necessary changes in the editor and move the art/sound files to where you need them to be.

You can also post any other questions about how to use the extra units or any help with the editor or changes you make to the Creation and Customization general forum, and look in the Completed Modpacks forum to see if anyone has already made a mod with these units. (I dont' think anyone has yet).

Capture the Princess
Has anyone played this? I'm playing and have captured 2 princess. I take them back to my capitol. When I do this, the game tells me nothing. I'm supposed to get 10,000 victory points, but I dont see those anywhere.

kojimanard: I don't have PtW yet, but i think you could check via the F8 screen. Go there and check your points, then take the princess home, then check again.....

Ok, I've seen this question before, but not the answer to it. How can I move my Princess to another city? Have tried everything (well probably not everything) but no success.

Hi, I have several questions after my 5th day of playing Civ3 - at 8h/day :)

1. is it possible to command multiple units as one (I mean to group them somehow), 'cause it's just so annoying when you have 10 artillery that you want to move to the same place

2. in which case is it useful to build an army (in early stages) ?
Because I was playing Russians (on Regent), got a Leader and built an army with three Elite Cossacks in it. The result was that I could only attack once per turn for the rest of the game, which was really really useful only 400 years after, when the enemy has riflemen etc. I thought that I should've left the 3 Cossacks on their own to deal with the enemy spearman/cavalry/archers

3. How many workers one should have ? In my case, on size default, all settings default, difficulty regent I had about 15 workers when entering modern age (with about 12 towns and crappy territory like jungle). Is it too little ?

4. can you put the workers on Shift-A and not bother about them or the result is bad? 'cause I put them on automatic for several turns and they started doing a lot of stupid things (each of them clearing a parcel of jungle for 48 turns etc.)

5. In the F1 tab, taxes from citizen are always 0 cause i don't have any taxmen. Instead, I built marketplace / bank in almost every city. The explanation is not clear, are these buildings related to the taxes payed by your citizen or not?

Thank you,
Adrian

Originally posted by adi24
Hi, I have several questions after my 5th day of playing Civ3 - at 8h/day :)

1. is it possible to command multiple units as one (I mean to group them somehow), 'cause it's just so annoying when you have 10 artillery that you want to move to the same place
It is if you have downloaded the latest patch (v1.29). It's available on the official Civ3 website. You then use the "J" key to move a stack of units of the same type.

2. in which case is it useful to build an army (in early stages) ?
Because I was playing Russians (on Regent), got a Leader and built an army with three Elite Cossacks in it. The result was that I could only attack once per turn for the rest of the game, which was really really useful only 400 years after, when the enemy has riflemen etc. I thought that I should've left the 3 Cossacks on their own to deal with the enemy spearman/cavalry/archers
It's generally useful to build an army with your first Great Leader, just so that you can build the Heroic Epic as early as possible. This will give you a greater chance of getting more Great Leaders in the future.

Other than that, armies are very good as seige units since they will usually get you past that tough first defending unit in the city you're trying to take. Having two or three of them can be handy as well, since the AI really doesn't deal well with a multiple army assault.

3. How many workers one should have ? In my case, on size default, all settings default, difficulty regent I had about 15 workers when entering modern age (with about 12 towns and crappy territory like jungle). Is it too little ?
The general rule I keep to is about 1 worker per city in the ancient and medieval eras, then increasing to somewhere near to 2 per city once you discover Steam Power. You can then add some of them back into your cities when you've finished railroading your territory.

4. can you put the workers on Shift-A and not bother about them or the result is bad? 'cause I put them on automatic for several turns and they started doing a lot of stupid things (each of them clearing a parcel of jungle for 48 turns etc.)
It's far better to direct the workers yourself. You'll get much better results that way.

5. In the F1 tab, taxes from citizen are always 0 cause i don't have any taxmen. Instead, I built marketplace / bank in almost every city. The explanation is not clear, are these buildings related to the taxes payed by your citizen or not?
Not quite sure what you're asking here. :confused:

This is probably a stupid question but.. how does stacked movement work? I thought if you moved more than one unit together, and if they got attacked, the strongest defense unit would defend. If it lost, the whole bunch would die (the only exception being if you put the units in an army). But if I'm not mistaken, I remember the AI move towards my city once with about 50 Infantry in a stack, and when I attacked them I could only kill one and the rest survived. Is this possible?

No, only one unit would die, and then the rest of the stack would still exist. The strongest unit would defend, as I have moved settlers and spearman. At least how I remember it.

Psylocke, how come you have a custom avatar though you do not have 30 posts?

Psylocke: You're thinking about Civ2 rules. In Civ3, you have to defeat every unit in a stack individually before you can be rid of them, as hbdragon88 says,

hbdragon88: that's not a custom avatar. :)

Thanks for the replies. So instead of dividing your forces like Civ2, just move them all together and you're pretty much invincible. I'm still a bit confused though..If that's the case with stacks, what advantage does an army give?

And no, that's not a custom avatar, though I had to look around a bit to find it :)

Originally posted by psylocke
Thanks for the replies. So instead of dividing your forces like Civ2, just move them all together and you're pretty much invincible. I'm still a bit confused though..If that's the case with stacks, what advantage does an army give?

psylocke, an army is different from a stack because an army pools the hitpoints of the units loaded into it.

So if you have (say) three veteran swordsmen, they'd each have 4 hitpoints, and you'd attack with them one at a time. As soon as one swordsman lost 4 hitpoints he'd die, and you'd have to attack (or defend) with the second one.

By contrast, if those same three swordsmen were loaded into an army, it would attack and defend like a swordsman with 12 hitpoints. So if it lost more than 4 hitpoints no units would die.

(One thing to be aware of with armies is that they can only attack once per turn. So if you load a unit with multiple attack capability (like a tank) into an army, you are sacrificing one of the benefits of that unit for the benefit of pooling hitpoints.)

Quick question on the civ3 editor. Somehow I seem to have turned off the overlays (such as barbarian camps, etc.). So now they never appear on the maps while in the editor even when they are really there. How do I turn it back on? I can't find the button/pulldown/option/preference/etc. anywhere.

How was that turned off? I dunno how that could be turned off...first, you're running 1.29, right?

hbdragon88:

How was it turned off? You got me. Have I inadvertently discover a new feature of the editor? If so, I'd like to un-discover it please. Yes, I am running 1.29f. My example is below:

This a sample scenario with 5 goody huts surrounded by a ring of barbarian camps. Because I have "tile owner" mode turned on in the editor, its possible to see that there is barbarian-owned "stuff", but neither the hut nor the camp icons are visible on the map. However, opening this scenario in the actual game results in a completely normal scenario with huts and camps where they were originally placed.

Before I get referred to a bunch of other threads, let me assure you that I have even used to search function to find a solution to my problem, to no avail. I HAVE read most of the other threads about this, and I have not yet been able to fix it on my computer.

My problem is the "fuzzy, blocky" font problem, not the oversized one. I am running PTW 1.04, Win ME, and I have moved all my Lucida fonts out of the C/Windows/Fonts folder (btw, I have no 'Lucida Sans' fonts), and I do not have more than 60 fonts total. I get the font bug about one time in 5 of loading up the game. There is no error message or quitting out of the program; I have played a few turns without problems, but reading becomes irritating on the eyes.:eek:

My (imperfect) way of dealing with this is to quit, wait a couple of minutes, and restart the game. Most of the time it reverts to the correct font, but I have had to reload the game up to 3 times in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

one idea on the editor: make a full copy of your civ3 directory, uninstall, delet all that remains in the original thing. Then, reinstall, repatch, the works. Now compare the files - anything different might point to the cause! Especially different sizes of graphics files OR a strange 'last edited' date on a file might point to something. have you installed any modded units?

cromagnon: this sounds like interference from another program you might have running in the backgound. I got something similar (inverted colors for text) using ICQ, since I switched to Trillian I do NOT experience it anymore!

Yes, yet another newbie question by yours truly:

In the previous Civs if you conquered a city, you got to steal one of their techs. In SMAC, this was an option you could turn on or off. I can't seem to find any documentation in the manual regarding this, but it seems to be non-existent in Civ III.

Anyone know why? It seemed to make sense to me to have it, even though I was on the short end of that business transaction several times.:p

ps. Thanks for the advice, Killer. Pls check your PM.

I've heard nothing about it on the forums, not even people complaining about the free tech when conquering a city thing being out, which almost led me to forget about it being gone, except those times I took over a smaller civ that had a tech I didn't have and I stupidly forgot to extort or trade for. :ack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom