Newbie Questions - ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot sell Great Wonders, and you cannot sell cities anymore since the first patch.

Either starve it down, build culture and hope it won't flip or raze it (then, the wonder is lost forever) or simply kill France off - then the city cannot flip back to them :D

Yeah, that's right - was the server going really slow? Three times posted...

The strategy I use when capturing cities is to rush a Temple to give them a little culture. But it only works when you remain in peacetime economy - if you mobilize for war-time you can't build anything but military.

In that case, you could always garrison a sh*tload of troops in Orleans, which if numerous enough can prevent CF - although I have to say I like the Lt.'s idea about simply crushing the French to get 'em out of your hair.

Ok, Lt. another Q:

If the AI breaks a treaty, say for example flagrantly taking advantage of ROP in order to attack, does it suffer in rep to the other AI Civs?

And a Q edited in after reading one of your other posts:

3) The HE improves your chances - but as with combat, the RNG gives results that IMHO are a bit too random for Civ3. I'd like it to give a bell-shaed distribution, but it doesn't.

Really? That surprises me. It seems a bell shaped distribution would be almost self-evident. What kind of distribution do the typical outcomes plot, if not bell shaped?

Where (and how) did the term Vanilla Civ3 come about? And does it just refer to classic Civ3?

I've heard of the wonderful extras for PTW like a WWII and medieval Japan units, yet I don't know how to include them in a game. Can someone help me? :(

Originally posted by Raijer

If the AI breaks a treaty, say for example flagrantly taking advantage of ROP in order to attack, does it suffer in rep to the other AI Civs?

In theory. But i have seen AIs ROP raping each other, then happily signing ROP the next turn :(

Really? That surprises me. It seems a bell shaped distribution would be almost self-evident. What kind of distribution do the typical outcomes plot, if not bell shaped?

random generator IIRC gives an equal distribution, that is extreme results are NOT rarer than middle-of-the-road ones. I'll ask sumthinelse on this one - he did some tests.

Originally posted by Bruinesian
I've heard of the wonderful extras for PTW like a WWII and medieval Japan units, yet I don't know how to include them in a game. Can someone help me? :(

chec out the scenario section of CFC. The units are there, but there is no scenario for them - you will have to create one. How to do that can be learned from the scenario guys in their forum ;) It's a bit much to type down here and they are more qualified than I am to help you since I have not too much experience with new units.

Originally posted by Warlord Sam
Where (and how) did the term Vanilla Civ3 come about? And does it just refer to classic Civ3?

I means classic Civ3 unmodded!

exceptions are corrected names or color changes, but tampering with HP, unit abilities or building costs or so are :nono:.....

#1. How do I turn the debug on in the editor? Meaning, where exactly is that option? (NEVERMIND FOUND THE RELATED THREAD IN THE FORUM. THANK YOU!)

#2. Will it be possible (unmodded or not) to play as the same civ in PTW?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I couldn't get through the thread because the busy server screen was attacking!

Let me clarify #2. I just read it and realized I didn't make sense. : )

I meant, can both my friend and I play as Rome in the same game? As I said before, unmodded or not...

I know that would make somethings difficult, like diplomacy and war declaration pop ups, but just wondering if it was an option.

ainwood: yep, I think so.

roboz: no, same name will give trouble.

Sim_One: should be possible, but in peacetime the AI will ask you to leave :D

Ainwood, they don't count towards the domination limit. And you dont' get points for them in the territory part of your score. However, the food they provide (if feeding a happy or content person) do count for points.

Prima's Strategy Guide says you get -1 pts for each unhappy or resisting citizen. They might be wrong, or this changed in PTW, or we never realized this. Someone will have to test that out.

Question 1: What is an affect of nukes on NAVAL units?
Say, I play for Atzeck, and American Fleet is quite superior to mine, and right now a squadron of 3 BBs and 3 CVs is passing close to my shore. If I'll use a single nuke in a starting period of new war, will it wipe out a whole supreme naval force? Will it pollute a coastline 4-5 tiles away???

Question 2: How come enemy submarines can attack me in PEACETIME??? I am in peace with America (though we were in war 2 turns ago), my DD retreats, and in my OWN territorial waters an American submarine is on my path, attacking me. I sing it, and my crippled destroyers reaches the port. Am I in war again??? No, after I check it, I am still in peace. What was it???

SVAN

Any advice for the mid-game after calvary? I usually play on large continents and don't have the strength to go overseas before the over civs catch up. Although I can get modern armor before everyone else, I sometimes get beat when everyone I've backstabbed votes for somebody else via the UN. Anybody got any mid to endgame strategy?

Admiral K.: You HAVE to build the UN - period! It is a must for backstabbers! Save a leader for it or a sure-thing pre-build (i.e. choose a city that you can make revolt and turn back to halt production, let it *almost* complete the palace, then switch it over to UN - this is the safest way!).

Alos: try staying out of wars! While the Ais fight, stay in democracy and rush away in science. Sell them all the techs - you can outproduce them! Sell around luxuries - when it comes to war the enemy will face an immediate happiness problem! Also, try to use war weariness against them, force them into communism. let them bleed their empires out, then go in with Bombers, Artillery and MA :D

Hey Lt.

Do you have any insight on capital placement? Im currently playing on a large map. I swept France off the map in the middle ages, and built my FP right in Paris. This worked out fine, until now (the late-industrial age). I'm in the process of taking out Germany, and all this territory is pretty far north of my capital, with the FP even further south.

So my question is: Is it advisable to rebuild my capital? What's an ideal placement? And for that matter, when's a good time to build the FP? Or should I simply bite the bullet cooruption-wise?

Thanks.

make sure you have Courthouses in your core empire. once you also have Factories you can use a leader to jump the Palace somewhere else. i usually play this beforehand and use the FP for a core because i can't move it, then jump the palace to the troublespots.

Hi this is my first post and I just wanted to know if anyone you know of has beaten Diety without the editor
Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom