Newbie Questions - ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Lt. - Can The AI offer you more money per turn than they are capable of giving you?
Check out this screen shot.

Is it possible for the AI to make a bogus offer simply to get the techs it needs to mow you down in a turn or two. I didn't think so, until I saw this. What gives?

Yep, had that happen a few times. If they have the GPT atm, they can offer it. So if the money comes from deals and they run out, they are out of money and will usually declare war on you.

Where is the option that causes (or inhibits) the "what do you want to produce next" popup that appears when a city finishes producing something?

It must be in the preferences menu. I remember having to turn it on, since I don't trust the governor at all.

If you have PTW, I think it's in the first tier of preference options. Something to the extent of 'show pop-up at end of production.'

Originally posted by sumthinelse
If I host a pbem game, how can I control what order my civ plays? The game setup always forces me to play first. :(

I can't change the first name. The only way I know to control this is to edit a .bix file and make "player 1" the guy who goes first (player properties -> player 1 -> Leader Name), then, when I set up the game, mode -> load scenario.

Does anybody know of a way to make the 1st player somebody other than the host's "Net Name" in ptw.ini, besides loading a scenario?

Does anybody else think that pbem setup is kind of hokey?

Hey!

I gotta question or something.

I know about optimal cities, but what exact effect does it have on the game? I was thinking about trying ICS for the first time, but I was wondering what would happen to my cities after I got over that limit?

Hello all. I'm a democratic civ and my cities keep going into civil disorder because they say it is too crowded, how do i stop this?

yoyoyo5, cities go into disorder whenever you have more unhappy citizens than happy citizens.

To avoid disorder, you must take one or more of the following actions:

* build improvements and wonders that increase happiness of your citizens, like temples, cathedrals, Hanging Gardens, Sistine Chapel, etc.

* connect your cities to luxury resources on the map by building networks of roads.

* develop trade networks with AI civs and trade for luxury resources.

* use the luxury slider in the domestic advisor screen to increase happiness in your cities.

* take some citizens off the land and make them into entertainers.

* in governments other than republic and democracy, garrisoning troops in your cities can increase happiness up to a point.

Happiness is one of the most basic and essential concepts of Civ III gameplay, and as you can see it is complex and is affected by many factors. Understanding how to balance these factors to achieve a happy and productive civ is the key to playing the game and building a great civ! It is worth your time to read the relevant sections of the civilopedia and the manual that came with your game.

Originally posted by yoyoyo5
Hello all. I'm a democratic civ and my cities keep going into civil disorder because they say it is too crowded, how do i stop this?
You need to either increase the number of "happy" citizens or decrease the number of "unhappy" citizens in the affected cities.

You can increase happiness by:
(a) Increasing your luxury tax on the F1 screen; that will devote that %age of each city's income to happiness in that city. Which may be wasteful if not all cities are unhappy/revolting.
(b) Make some of the citizens entertainers. (Right click on a citizen, I think). Each will make another citizen happy, plus it is one less unhappy too. But if they are entertaining they aren't producing food or shields or gold, so there is a penalty. But you can tailor it to each city.
(c) Get more luxuries! Each lux makes one citizen in each city happy. Great for big empires. Of course the AI "knows" this and will charge you an arm and a leg for each. You could always just take them instead ;)
(d) build the improvement that adds happy faces: the marketplace (in combination with lots of luxuries, this is awesome).

You can decrease unhappiness by
(a) building various improvements, such as temples, cathedrals, colosseums, etc.
(b) getting the various wonders which either multiply the temple/cathedral effect OR just make lots of people content anyway
(c) generating excess happiness (after all the content citizens are happy, each "wasted" happiness makes an unhappy citizen content instead.
(d) making entertainers (see above)

And of course, starving your cities down to a smaller level stops them getting so many unhappy people. Or build settlers and workers to use up population. Or draft, if you can stand the unhappiness that will cause instead. Or don't let the cities get so big - once at a decent size where unhappiness is starting to mount, move the workers from e.g. grasslands to e.g. hills. You'll reduce the food production and hopefully slow or even halt population growth. Don't build aqueducts or hospitals in a city that isn't ready to absorb the extra population. Don't build granaries unless you can cope with the population growth being twice as fast.

sorry, satchel beat me to the post :(

I can't get my naval units (clippers and galleons) to be able to port on enemy soil so my units can unload (L)...

the computer let me do it in earlier turns but now does not allow it...did the foreign nations do something? am i doing something wrong?

"Port"? You mean, like, sail into the ground? :confused:
You can always activate your units in a transport by a simple right-click.

I'm playing as the Zulu on Cheifian and am very culturally strong. I have persian and babs on both sides. Is it possible for me to win over their capitals culturally?

How fast is the usual domination victory?:tank:

no, you cannot culture flip a capital (good thing to remember: a very vialble strategy is to build the FP close to home, in maybe even a better position than the capital, then move the palace out with a leader to captured land. improves flip risk for other towns there, too).

I once found a unit chart that included upgrade costs. I cannot seem to find it now in the downloads area. Anyone have a link to this?

check the FAQ, I think Nethogs has them..... the link to it should be either in genreal Qs or in Military and unit related Qs.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
no, you cannot culture flip a capital (good thing to remember: a very vialble strategy is to build the FP close to home, in maybe even a better position than the capital, then move the palace out with a leader to captured land. improves flip risk for other towns there, too).

So then you should build your capital next to a border to engulf cities?

actually, yes! I tend to think ahead: what will i try to capture? usually my direct neighbour(s). So I choose two sites as the centres of an ellipse or so that will span my productive empire. Then, I 'manually' build the FP close to my capital (where one of the centers will be), then use a leader to rush the Palace in conquered land.

Side benefit: the starting area will ALWAYS be a core area, but what about conquering several islands? I can move ma Palace severyl times, take it to the recently taken lands, bring them up to Courthouses and Temples and size w7/o rushing, then jump the palace on to the next island and do the same!

UPGRADE UNITS
I am currently playing Monarch being in Democratie and at war.
Having 'art of war' wonder, I caught three cities with knights one round before I got cavalry. The three cities were of course full of opponents and set up on starvation. As I said having 'Art of War' all three cities are already equipped with barrack.
Next round, having now cavalry, I decided to upgrade knight to cavalry, no problem with units inside all cities beside the three cities I took the past round were no upgrade was possible.
Could it be possible that upgrade cannot be done within a city having opponents inside ?

nope, but maybe these towns were not connected to the road network and thus lacked the resource necessary (saltpeter)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom