[BTS] News: BOTM 141: Alexander, Emperor, Duel Map!

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 141: Alexander of Greece.

Alexander the (self-claimed) Great was in a foul mood. "Oh God!", he exclaimed, "Why does it have to take so long to conquer the World. I've brought my enlightened rule to the Syrians, the Mesopotanians, the Macedonians, and even to the little bunny-rabbits who run around the fields (not that the bunny-rabbits seem to notice). And still there is so much more to conquer. I'm FED UP! I'm bored! How am I going to do this before next months' game starts?"

And, Lo! To his astonishment, the (very intelligent) God Dynamicus Spiritus heard his cries, and replied.

"Very well", He said, "I will grant you a tiny little World that you might make your plaything for a month. Let's call it a Duel World."

Alexander thought for a moment, then said, "But Oh Mighty Dynamicus, generous though your offer is, will I not get bored if there is only one other civilization to conquer?"

"Fear not", replied the Great God. "I have given this World many civilizations".

Alexander thought for a moment, and then replied, "I thank you. But if World is very small, will it not lack resources. Gold, silver, jewelry, with which my people can prosper?"

Dynamicus the Magnificent looked a little irritated, but controlled himself, and replied, "Do you think I am incapable of perceiving your miserable needs? Can you not trust that I have already taken that into account? You will find on this map, a special island on which are placed all the luxuries and resources that the map generator might have failed to provide"

Alexander thought again. "But Oh Great God, will I have better access to this island than the AIs? It wouldn't be fair if they got to it first".

At this point, the great and handsome, and actually quite amazingly sexy Dynamicus grew angry. "Away from me you puny infidel!" he roared. "Cease your petty babbling!"

And with that, he waved his hand, and Alexander suddenly found himself standing by a river, accompanied only by a few hungry-looking settlers and a ragged scout.

Game settings:
Playing as: Alexander of Greece
Rivals: 5 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Fractal
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Duel
Climate: Tropical
Sea level: Medium

Alexander is Philosophical and Aggressive, and you start with Fishing and Hunting.

The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

Unique unit: Phalanx (replaces Axeman)
The Phalanx benefits from: 100% defence bonus against chariot. This compares with the Axeman which has: no directly comparable benefits.

Unique Building: Odeon (replaces Colosseum)
The odeon gives +2 happiness out of the box compared to the +1 from the colosseum. (Both also give +1 happy per 20% culture rate). Further, the odeon gives +3 culture, +1 happy from hit musicals, and can turn two citizens into artists. Not bad if you want happy, cultural, citizens!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 20 Oct 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 20 Nov 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited:
How tiny is a duel map anyway? CivFanatics is kind of lacking in decent info on mapsizes, unless one knows where to search. (I don't:old:.)
SIP? 1N would include the gold in BFC but is it worth moving with the time it takes to tech and build naval transport? I'm guessing the Dynami(ti)cus may have placed the promised (is)land close to ensure we have a chance to claim it? However since all mapmakers are by definition :evil: it may be another continent where some civ will quickly settle on or next to the gold. Maybe the island is surrounded with ocean and our rivals include Portugal with the ocean-going caravel or it may include a native and barbarious population that will have some free triremes just to annoy Alex.

It looks like the island is just off our coast. Assuming the gold on it is part of the luxuries the Magnificent Munificent (very intelligent and great and handsome, and actually quite amazingly sexy) God Dynamicus Spiritus gifted to us.

SIP looks best. DS's last map encouraged us to move. We need Sailing and Mining to use the gold. We lose a turn, a forested hill, fresh water, pigs and clams to get the gold in the bfc. I expect the Munificent DS to give us seafood off the island to let us work its mines. Or we could put a city west of gold and work the two clams.
Scout SE, SW to see a little move; then SIP.

otoh, in support of your contention that all map makers are :evil: - we have the Greek Alexander forced to bow to a Latin God long before it happened historically.

To be historical, we should vassalize all the AIs.
Thanks for the game.

That's poetic story-telling (on the basis that one settler unit is supposed to represent a group of settlers, not a single human being). To be absolutely clear, you start with one settler unit and one scout unit.

That's poetic story-telling (on the basis that one settler unit is supposed to represent a group of settlers, not a single human being). To be absolutely clear, you start with one settler unit and one scout unit.
Bummer. So it's a sad story. Starting with multiple settlers would have created very interesting choices, especially if they were women.

Animal Husbandry and worker first for the pigs.
Then, do we rush sailing and settler for the island, or grab a bigger part of our land before settling the island?
I think island for the economy, then can take AI cities by force.

I think Sailing and Great Lighthouse are on the menu. Sounds like fun! Hope I get a chance to play.

Spoiler threads are up.

Obviously, if there are any complaints that they should have been up several days ago, then you'll have to take them up with the Great (and very Busy) God Dynamicus Spiritus, with all the risks that entails... ;)

Spoiler threads are up.

Obviously, if there are any complaints that they should have been up several days ago, then you'll have to take them up with the Great (and very Busy) God Dynamicus Spiritus, with all the risks that entails... ;)
He can't touch me -- I'm a spiritual boing.

Are there results for this one yet?
I remember a nice game where i was interested in comparing with Wastin Time, but it feels like 1-2 months ago ~~
Not posted yet. DS is working on it but his RL is busy.

You did quite well. ;)
I was actually trying for fastest domination (and the gold) and was pretty annoyed with the BC Domination victories achieved by some players.

Top Bottom