[BTS] News: BOTM 183 - Relive or Experience fresh SGOTM goodness

After my latest failed attempt to get back my CivIV strengths, I thought I'd stop again,
but this one sounds very interesting
Surely I'll do the edited version, though.

When I looked at the map, I thought: Settle 1E; but I guess, you are right, that for the short term settle on one of the ressources might be worth it...

After my latest failed attempt to get back my CivIV strengths, I thought I'd stop again,
but this one sounds very interesting
Surely I'll do the edited version, though.

When I looked at the map, I thought: Settle 1E; but I guess, you are right, that for the short term settle on one of the ressources might be worth it...
All joking aside, you definitiely want to settle on either marble or stone. The extra two hammers in the city center is a massive turbocharge to your empire.

Indeed I agree. When I designed the map I expected the only debate to be Stone vs Marble.... I was very much surprised some teams chose neither

lol not sure if i want that..most remakes are frustrating,
and World of Warcraft burried the whole mmo genre
:sniper:WoW

WoW did give a start to a few rather dangerous trends, yet I think that F2P and ridiculous attempts to fight gold sellers, resulting into destruction of in game economy - one of the cornerstones of MMO - did even more damage.

Never mind online games. I thought of doing something different, now that I've made a decent attempt at G-Major. Is with map OK for someone unfamiliar with GoTM? I wonder, what could possibly make Emperor so hard that two teams failed to win?

Here's a pro tip I'll just leave here.

Emperor AI need 21:hammers: to build an Archer, so they can't cold whip them at 0:hammers:.
That means gifting an Emperor AI a very valuable Size 3 city to wipe out that cities' whip anger or clear some unwanted great people points might seem like a great idea.
The city can be taken back next turn by a Warrior, and only the food bin and cultural buildings are lost.

BUT,

If the Emperor AI techs to Iron Working and advances to the Classical Age, then the Archer costs 20:hammers: and can be whipped every turn!!!
The city gift would then turn into an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions. :egypt:
(Whips for items with 0 hammers give 20:hammers: instead of 30:hammers: per population)

List of Techs to advance to the next Era
Spoiler :
Ancient Era Techs
FISHING
HUNTING
MYSTICISM
MINING
PRIESTHOOD
THE WHEEL
AGRICULTURE
ARCHERY
MEDITATION
POTTERY
MASONRY
POLYTHEISM
SAILING
ANIMAL HUSBANDRY
MONOTHEISM
WRITING
BRONZE WORKING

Classical Era Techs
IRON WORKING
LITERATURE
HORSEBACK RIDING
MATHEMATICS
MONARCHY
DRAMA
AESTHETICS
ALPHABET
CONSTRUCTION
CODE OF LAWS
CALENDAR
COMPASS
CURRENCY
METAL CASTING

Medieval Era Techs
THEOLOGY
MUSIC
PAPER
OPTICS
FEUDALISM
BANKING
MACHINERY
CIVIL SERVICE
PHILOSOPHY
GUILDS
ENGINEERING
DIVINE RIGHT

Renaissance Era Techs
GUNPOWDER
LIBERALISM
ECONOMICS
CORPORATION
PRINTING PRESS
REPLACEABLE PARTS
NATIONALISM
EDUCATION
CHEMISTRY
MILITARY SCIENCE
MILITARY TRADITION
CONSTITUTION
ASTRONOMY
RIFLING
DEMOCRACY

Industrial Era Techs
FASCISM
SCIENTIFIC METHOD
COMMUNISM (Civ 4 code calls it UTOPIA :high5:)
STEEL
STEAM POWER
BIOLOGY
COMBUSTION
PHYSICS
ARTILLERY
MEDICINE
ELECTRICITY
RAILROAD
ASSEMBLY LINE
FISSION
INDUSTRIALISM

Modern Era Techs
MASS MEDIA
REFRIGERATION
ROCKETRY
FLIGHT
ADVANCED FLIGHT
ECOLOGY
RADIO
SATELLITES
SUPERCONDUCTORS
COMPUTERS
LASER
PLASTICS
COMPOSITES
FIBER OPTICS
ROBOTICS

Future Era Techs
GENETICS
STEALTH
FUSION
FUTURE TECH

Last edited:
I wonder, what could possibly make Emperor so hard that two teams failed to win?
The games have a time limit. And it is more that the teams failed to achieve victory within the time limit. Teams spend a lot of time discussing. Also RL can impact availability of team members.
That said, this is a very :evil: map. I will be taking contender monarch save.
Spoiler How not to win :
What I often do:
Start game soon after release and play to around 1 ad.
Do other stuff. RL, other games, whatever.
Rush to win in last couple days.

On this map above is recipe for failure.

I followed it for botm181. 10 minutes from victory by my estimate when I submitted my incomplete game 2 minutes before the deadline.

Hmmmmm, I am back and playing but a new SGOTM map might be beyond me.

Top Bottom