[BTS] News: BOTM 195 - Rome, Monarch - Starts 5 June

I remember a Mansa AW forum game (NC maybe) where an Ottoman leader could only enter through 1 hill tile. As soon as I fortified it with a unit he didn't attack any more, just incidentally when some unit(s) wandered too close.

Have you seen that one? I used to play it on Immortal.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/occ-always-war.27798/

As you can see on the starting screen (highly cooked map), the opponents can only enter by one forested hill tile. But this did not prevent them from attacking at all. I took so many fights on that hill, that my best Samurai ended up with 280 exp points :)

Spoiler Augustus of Japan, AW :
Start.jpg

I am so looking forward to this. Anyone else who will start playing straight away after the release?

Probably me ;) even though I should finish other games first. But the beginnings and discovering a whole new world is my favorite part of civ, and here especially things be very unusual (for me).

Currently I have an OCC/France/earth18civs ongoing in between forum games (not AW) pursuing conquest. Enemy stacks moving to Paris go through Turkey or across Russia. If I place a unit at ''Istanbul'', nothing shows up there anymore. They redirect. Then several head for the Balcan from Russia. If I block the passes there they turn around/bend to the German entrance. If I block everything it's very well possible stacks stay idle or turn around, because now entering from the sea might become the preferred route. Maybe if I leave a tile of my culture accessable they will keep moving. AI behave just like barbs (only less suicidal). Land units never pursue units, just attack them when they happen to be in range. Lining up over multiple tiles is just an extrapolation of choking. So in the case of an OCC city surrounded by units, I think stacks can enter your borders looking to destroy improvements, or they won't enter Then they can ''accidentally'' end up next to your units, attack them and find access to the city.

I remember a Mansa AW forum game (NC maybe) where an Ottoman leader could only enter through 1 hill tile. As soon as I fortified it with a unit he didn't attack any more, just incidentally when some unit(s) wandered too close.

Hmm, I tried to test it in a real game, not WB situation. Early on, indeed any unit put in the way of AI stack seems to stop it. But then at some point, when the stack got reinforced, they would suddenly move and attack my units.

Also early on they seem never go around my counter-stack, but later on it was more 50/50. The only clear rule I saw from my very limited testing is that AI stack are much less suicidal then barbs. But sometimes, they would start highly suicidal attacks - with 6-8 units dying in a row, no unit winning - for no apparent reason :confused: I mean, their stack was always there, city defender the same, etc

I have played only 2 short test game and I was surprised to see that I enjoy AW a lot :D. Seems like a great way to learn how to choke an AI, something that I practically never did

EDIT: I tested AI marching routes mostly when they were next to my units already, not what @Powerfaker said. Makes more sense now :).

Last edited:
OK so I'm not changing the saves - so diplo win remains enabled. I can see the arguments on both sides, but the bottom line is... saves open tomorrow and I don't have time to change anything now.

If I do another always war game, I probably will disable diplo win, because it seems a bit too random that the AI might suddenly win a religious win, even if the player is playing well, when there may well be nothing the player can reasonably do to prevent it. But too late for this one.

Anyway, enjoy the game, everyone!

@Tobiyogi
The AI is more unpredictable when there is no other way around your blockade. They might try to force through anyway when they are ''on a mission''.

I find it a fun goal on the side in AW to create a super high-XP unit. I usually try that with a GG-unit with the extra XP promo. 280 that is really extremely high. I've reached 180 or so at best. After combat5+CR3+drill they are invincable.

@Tobiyogi
The AI is more unpredictable when there is no other way around your blockade. They might try to force through anyway when they are ''on a mission''.

I find it a fun goal on the side in AW to create a super high-XP unit. I usually try that with a GG-unit with the extra XP promo. 280 that is really extremely high. I've reached 180 or so at best. After combat5+CR3+drill they are invincable.

I was wondering what is a good use of GG in such a game? I seem to be getting a ton of them in a test game :D

I was wondering what is a good use of GG in such a game? I seem to be getting a ton of them in a test game :D

Depends.... If you see the chance for an early HA rush, a medic is perfect, because he will allow them to keep on going, and with HA, speed is important. Otherwise, I would settle the first 2 guys before even thinking of a medic. Never in the capital, but directly in a place that looks like a great HE spot for the future. 2 promos are better than one and promo-civics are usually a long run, so barracks + GG is the way to go.

Besides the GG medic, GGs are always good for quick health in the field by applying some XP to a few dudes while making a general.

@Tobiyogi

I like that idea too. A Combat 5, CR3 Praetorian, that'd be an unstoppable unit.

Hey, it's like almost 2am tomorrow on the server. Saves are available! Doh, fake news.

Last edited:
Notes from test game:
Iron working T62.
Borders are 4 rings deep already. Many AI archers have been circling, but not one will enter my culture.
I wonder if Henge/borders is keeping them out. I don't see how you could lose your capital early. Maybe if I left it empty?
Might want to detour to some other tech cus there is nothing to build (unless we get copper)
Barbs are still just animals.
Don't bother trying to hunt AI archers with longbows. I finally cornered one in the flat land with no fortify and it was 94%. I lost.

Last edited:
TestGame:
barb archers are slightly annoying T80+
GS could bulb Math for 550
settled artist is 3gpt and 100 turns fly by, so that's 300:gold: Kinda lame.
One way to steal workers is probably Guerilla II longbow, so take hill defense promo.

One AI archer entered my borders T94

In the T90's Full barb invasion started (when 18 cities exist)

Someone built great wall T99

If you also settle the prophet, you might get Construction T110 or 120. Or you could Oracle it if you really want Catapults.
Aren't they the best way to make a stack stop, heal, split up, or go home?

Another interesting use of the first GG would be attaching it to the (hopefully) Woody II warrior. By doing so, we could upgrade him to Axe (if copper) and get a Woody III Super-Healer that in addition to that can keep on stealing workers + pillaging + taking out archers in the forest (a bit risky).
Optional: Spreading the GG over Warrior + starting Longbow, making the Warrior GG (for free upgrade) and keeping possibly enough exp points to get eventually a Guerilla 2/Cover Longbow (after a couple of easy fights).

Last edited:
Woody Super Medic is definitely going to be helpful, but since we have no starting warrior, it's probably easier to start one as an axe. By the time you have built a warrior, probably animals and scouts are mostly gone.
Guerilla2 on the longbow sounds great, especially because (1) it's rocky climate and (2) promos help with worker stealing AND with city defense (should all be on hills anyway)

I plan to build warrior first and then worker. Not only because of AW but also because Hunt/AH takes too long and what would the worker do? Improve the gold and stagnate growth?

Not very familiar with epic speed, but it's very unlikely that 2 techs finish after 17-18 turns. The worker in the screenshot takes 18T.

If promotions work the same on epic, it is even more crucial to get out a unit first. More time to farm exp before AI builds its workers. The longbow needs to protect the city, I guess. Because of archers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom