News: BOTM 20 - Starts 17 July

About the gifting gold to the AI...
Does this mean if I have Monte or Shaka on my continent and I'd rather be peaceful - I can continually gift him/them 10 gold every 10 turns for peace? 1 gold per turn of peace sounds like a bargain!
Does the AI ever reject these 'gifts'?
Would I need to wait until the 10 turns have expired before giving the next gift? Or could I do it after 9 turns so that there is no chance of him declaring on that one turn in between?

There must be a catch - it seems to easy...
I haven't tested all the intracacies, but don't forget you can't do any gold trades till one of you has Currency and that's pretty late. By then you should be in pretty good shape anyway. If not, then this might be a useful ploy.

Gifting something to the AI doesn't enforce a peace treaty between you and him.
It only works :
- when he asks you something (either help or tribute)
- when he gives you something (either help or tribute)

Obvioulsy gifting 10 gold every 9 turns don't work, it would be too easy to exploit!

On the other hand, you can ask 30 gold to the AI (pleased or friendly), it will allways agree unless you ask too often. That way, you are safe from a backstab/bribe/dogpile when you prepare to dow another AI.
You can also use this when your friend is in a war with someone else. Then that other AI can't ask you to join its war. I'm not sure if it works to ignore an AP resolution of declaring war on the infidel though.

The Woodsman II promotion is the one I am also looking for asap in my Warrior. Not to steal Workers, but to speed up exploration. It also makes for a good chance to generate a level 4 unit, which you want by the time you research Literature, and later you can upgrade the Warrior to Axeman and have it spearhead an attack on a city, giving your vulnerable city attackers safe passage.

A Scout or a Chariot is far better as a medical unit.

The Woodsman II promotion is the one I am also looking for asap in my Warrior. Not to steal Workers, but to speed up exploration. It also makes for a good chance to generate a level 4 unit, which you want by the time you research Literature, and later you can upgrade the Warrior to Axeman and have it spearhead an attack on a city, giving your vulnerable city attackers safe passage.

A Scout or a Chariot is far better as a medical unit.

Woodsman III is also not that hard to get (especially if you are using the Woodsman II unit to explore and / or worker steal - so good chance of picking up a lot more XP than a medic warrior who will hide in a city somewhere). That gives +15% heal bonus, making the medic1 promotion path even less compelling for early warrior veterans.

My basic strategy in this game will be to beeline alpha (via AH), worker steals, and bureau. Then control the game and the AI by keeping most of the AI at war with each other throughout most of the game through bribes (works great on Pangea since you can control them all without worrying about runaway civs on other continents). And gradually take them all over by military conquest. :king:

Settling 2N looks like a good bureaucracy capital, due to the extra river tiles, and the early hammer will more than make up for the lost turn to move the settler. My second city will settle south near the expected iron / copper / horse unforested tiles. (Important to pick them up, but no need to have them in the capital itself).

I'll just move the scout 2NE to check out the plains hill site first just in case...

Good luck everyone! :D

I'm going to give this a try; never won above Prince, so I'll be doing the Adventurer save.

Sounds like 2N is the place to settle; I'll run the Scout up there first to see what's over the hill, and to give the Settler some protection just in case.

My plan...
Build worker while researching Animal Husbandry
Build Ikhanda while beelining Bronze Working
Build a couple of Warriors or Impi (hopefully Copper nearby) and a Settler while beelining Pottery for the Granaries and the riverside cottages.
REX like made????

Does the problem still persist? I just tried it (using Opera) without getting the problem you mention.

Let's just blame it on AlanH. :mischief:

I got my BtS through Direct2Drive and just patched it recently to 3.19. I hadn't patched the game since 3.13 (I've not bothered to play it on an online computer for quite a few months) and there is no 3.17 patch available on Direct2Drive. I'd like to give this GOTM a try, but...can I?

If so, what do I need to do?

Sorry, you won't be able to play this one, as it requires BtS v3.17.

BOTM 21 will be the first one that uses v3.19, and we have a new version of the HoF mod, called BUFFY, to support it.

When the results of this game are published in a couple of weeks, the World Builder save will be available to download from the Results page. You can play that for fun in any version of BtS, with or without a HoF mod, using Play a Scenario.

I got my BtS through Direct2Drive and just patched it recently to 3.19. I hadn't patched the game since 3.13 (I've not bothered to play it on an online computer for quite a few months) and there is no 3.17 patch available on Direct2Drive. I'd like to give this GOTM a try, but...can I?

If so, what do I need to do?

I probably have the D2D 3.17 patch somewhere. If you download the full installer from D2D do you know what version that is?

Top Bottom