News: BOTM 200 - Zeus, Immortal - Starts 18th Sept

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
BOTM 200 - Zeus of the Olympians
Welcome to the 200th instalment of BTS Game of the Month, read on for some special details!

The gods have left Olympus to rule on Earth, each in their own domain, scattered to the four corners of the Earth. Some of the other gods regard you with fondness, others with emnity, but shockingly few bend the knee to mighty Zeus and his rightful role as allfather and chief of the gods. You are determined to put that right and bring them all under your rule again with the help of the ever faithful Poseidon.

Of course with the gods of Mount Olympus walking the earth human religions cannot be allowed to thrive and they have been consigned to the underworld where no living being may go, even if you could get by the fearsome Cerberus.

Mighty Zeus your first order of business was, of course, ensuring New Olympus was home to the mighty statue named after you. Next you turned your mind to the raging barbarian tribes outside your city, you thought of building a Great Wall to keep them out unfortunately Arges built it whilst you were working on your statue, still there were enough stones left from their project to build a small wall around your city and you do have a strong guard of honour on hand.

How will you defeat the challenges posed by both the human and the divine and establish yourself once again as ruler of all the worlds?

Scope of the Game:

• Civilization: Olympians - Unique Unit: Janissary (replaces Musketman), Unique Building: Hammam (replaces Aqueduct)
  • Leader: Zeus, Organized and Expansive.
  • Difficulty: Immortal
  • Map size: Standard
  • Map Script: Custom Continents
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Speed: Normal
  • Options: Raging barbarians, no vassal states, no goody huts, no random events
  • Rivals: 9
  • Victory conditions: All enabled
  • World wrap Cylindrical
  • Dates: 18th September 2020 to 6th November 2020
Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Your team mate is Poseidon (Philosophical & Imperialistic) and this is their start:-

Adventurer Class Starting Bonuses:

Arges
, Leader of the Cyclopes (Protective & Industrious) ) much as you like Zeus you do not agree he should be ruler of all in fact you rather fancy the position yourself! You start in a glorious location with many materials on hand to help you build magnificent wonders.

Here is your starting location:-

Your team mate is Brontes (Protective & Expansive) and this is their start:-

Challenger Class Equalizing Obstacles:

Cronus
, King of the Titans (Aggressive & Industrious) you despise Zeus for the terrible place he has put you in charge of, from here it will be very difficult but you too are determined to rule the world!

Here is your starting location:-

Your team mate is Atlas (Philosophical & Expansive) and this is their start:-

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 18th Sep 2020, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 6th November 2020.
Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions
Windows:
This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited:
Special arrangements for BOTM200

In this game everyone plays on the same map but the Adventurer and Challenger saves see you playing different Civs in their own starting locations (if anyone wins at Challenger I will be very very impressed!).

For each of the starting positions (Contender, Adventurer, Challenger) there is a pair of teams so you will have a team mate whose research you can direct, share war with etc. Homework for you guys is to test and look into this - I couldn't find any good threads, I do recall something weird happened in a SGOTM that had teams so well worth a bit of research!!

BOTM 201

Once this game is finished BOTM201 will be played on the same map but with you playing the other half of each team! Obviously if you play both you will have map knowledge hence announcing this now!

Finally Zeus, my favourite leader but I seem to have forgotten his traits.

:popcorn:

9 rivals, that's a lot for standard size. Is the map larger than normal or should we expect a pretty crowded experience?

Teams, huh? Never played with that before.

Do elephants enjoy life that close to tundra and ice? :hmm:

Challenger looks a little brutal :lol:

Also, how many units does the Adventurer start with? There are a lot of "dots" in the screenshot.

Also, how many units does the Adventurer start with? There are a lot of "dots" in the screenshot.
Standard Immortal units for both Adventurer and Challenger - 3 archers, 2 scouts and a worker (who will be kept really busy in the Challenger save lol)

(who will be kept really busy in the Challenger save lol)
Cronus: "We do not sow!" (apparently) :help:

Well... With raging barbs and Great Wall pre-built, probably a good thing the map is crowded with 9 AIs (and that we have walls pre-built if they start streaming in). With stone settled as well, Pyramids will probably go pretty soon in that city. Hopefully we have a good chance for Oracle, so I may actually have to try to get it this time. Depends what happens with the barbs and all.

It's a bit over the top without the ice. My will still kill it here ;)

The Titans were not Olympians.

Very interesting having the different start locations.

Last edited:
To be honest, I prefer our super-productive New Olympus to the partly jungle-covered Cyclope Hometown. Looks like the poor Titans have been shipwrecked with the "Titanic" :) not even reachable fish would me convince to play challenger this time

So we are the turkish Zeus and do the other guys have different traits? Arges could be Qin and the Titans from Russia...

Will be super fun, that anniversary map

I can remove the ice if there's a consensus, it is possibly a bit over the top :lol:
I would appreciate that. Normally I find a reason I prefer the contender game over the challenger, or I'm trying to break a speed record, but I always try to consider the challenger. This time, my name has been invoked, and I have no choice but to play the challenger! I'm sure I'll be the only one, especially if you don't remove that ice.

Is my teammate in a similar position?

Top Bottom