[BTS] News: BOTM 203 - Korea, Monarch - Starts 23 Nov

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 203: Wang Kon of Korea.

This time you have the challenge of raging barbs, a potentially slow start because your starting techs aren't suited to the land around you, and I've made the game Epic, just to give the barbs extra turns to spawn in. You can see from the starting area that you are on the coast which will give you some protection, but I'll tell you for free that there is still a lot of land nearby for the barbs to spawn from.
For what it's worth, I test-played to 10AD without building the great wall (there isn't a 1AD turn on epic - it's 5BC then 10AD) and survived, so it is possible!

Game settings:
Playing as: Wang Kon of Korea
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Monarch
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Epic
Options: Raging barbarians, no goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Custom continents
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Wang Kon is Financial and Protective, and you start with Mysticism and Mining.
The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce
The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls

Unique unit: Hwacha (replaces Catapult)
The Hwacha benefits from: 50% combat bonus against melee units. This compares with the Catapult which has: no directly comparable benefits.

Unique Building: Seowon (replaces University)
The Seowon gives an big science boost: +35% beakers as opposed to the +25% the University gives you.

Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
Raging barbs? Eeek! Help!!!! - You play on noble level (except that the AI still starts with monarch level starting units)

Challenger Class Equalizers:
Monarch!?! Difficult?!?!? I can beat monarch with both hands tied behind my back and and Baby Trump stamping his feet on my keyboard and screaming 'But I have to win! It's not fair!' into my ear every 10 seconds! - You play on deity level (except that the AI still starts with monarch level starting units).

To Enter the Competition:
This competition will open at 00:01 am on 23 Nov 2020, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 4 Jan 2021.
Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions
Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
While playing...
Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.
We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

I can certainly beat Monarch even with hands and feet tied to a Trump doll, but I would not want to engage Deity Raging Barbs coming down from the arctic tundra. Will definitely be interested in that one. Are you planning to release Mac saves as well? (Joao game didn't seem to have them).

Blocking access to your city-tile will keep the barbs away, at least for a little longer I think. Fishing first, before archery should be oke.
Because you can block, there may be no need to settle on the hill. It could be handy though to let ships pass there from one side to the other.
Maybe a test game is in order to see how long it takes before the barbs come. Baby Trunp may stamp, those barbs are not going to be fake-news......:)

Those Ice flood plains, can they be cottaged, or farmed?

Are you planning to release Mac saves as well? (Joao game didn't seem to have them).

Would like to but the Mac situation is kinda difficult at the moment because AlanH, who used to always make them, is no longer able to do so, and I don't have access to a Mac. Noble Zarkon has kindly done them for a few games but he plays as well. Will keep you posted. (And I'm open to any suggestions if anyone has them).

Would like to but the Mac situation is kinda difficult at the moment because AlanH, who used to always make them, is no longer able to do so, and I don't have access to a Mac. Noble Zarkon has kindly done them for a few games but he plays as well. Will keep you posted. (And I'm open to any suggestions if anyone has them).

Ok, we will see. Take it easy. I "have enough on my hands right now" :lol: but Botm with a nice extra challenge is always very tempting.

I'll be taking the Monarch save. I'm very tempted to move onto the hill. I'd be giving up one turn and one chop, but even if the defense bonus proves unnecessary, that canal looks nice. And moving might uncover some more fish to the east. The warrior is out of position to scout that, so it's up to the settler.

Okay, will start this.

Kinda doubt the mapmaker has ensured sea food will be killed with SIP, so think I'll just go with that instead of chancing there is something good in the fog with the PH move. Warrior doesn't really help with settling decision, though it's nice to know about those ice "FPs" north. Will take a long time with improvements there, but will be good once done. It's double the turns, isn't it? Plus the Epic addition. So err... many :D

Awkward starting techs, but I suppose start with Fishing, and then work the PH for an 8-turn workboat once borders expand. Then BW maybe? :think: (edit: oops, that was standard build time, probably 12 turns here then).

Last edited:
Are you planning to release Mac saves as well? (Joao game didn't seem to have them).

Hi. I've replaced my Apple external DVD player, and I can now run BtS for Mac. So I have built the Mac saves for this game. Sorry about the delay and missed games. Let's hope this drive and the CD keep working ... at least until I feel compelled to upgrade to Catalina, when BtS will no longer run.

Top Bottom