[BTS] News: BOTM 224 - Ethiopia, Prince - Starts 1 Nov

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 224: Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia.

How much culture/tech can Ethiopia reach? That's right, you're playing Ethiopia this month, but with a twist: The only victory conditions enabled are culture and space. Will you abandon your warmonger ways for this game? Or will you just conquer anyway and go for the highest possible score?

Game settings:
Playing as: Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Prince
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
Spaceship, Cultural

Map settings:
Map: Fractal
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Zara Yaqob is Creative and Organized, and you start with Hunting and Mining.

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum, Library and Theatre

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

Unique unit: Oromo Warrior (replaces Musketman)
The oromo warrior's strength lies mainly in first strikes: Where the musketman has none, the oromo warrior is not only immune to them, but has one of its own. And it starts with the drill I and II promotions, which between them give 1-2 additional first strikes and 20% less collateral damage.

Unique Building: Stele (replaces Monument)
The stele gives extra culture: +25%/turn as well as the fixed +1/turn of the monument.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Challenger Class Equalizers:
You play on deity level (but the AI still start with prince level units, so it's more like, deity-light.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 Nov 2021, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 Dec 2021.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Settle 1S for extra corn and ability to build levees for Space?

Forgive me for this noob question, but are the other victory conditions still in play for the AI, or can they also only win Culture and Space?

The UB sounds kind of nice for a culture win

ORG is nice for a sprawling, huge empire, fitting for space. But the UB probably helps a little bit with cultural wins. If going for space, I'd probably want to move away from the PH so the capital can get a levee. It tends to be important for the late stage of the game, and building parts. Anyway, that starting area looks pretty great. Would have been a decent one-city challenge location too.

AIs can only win space/culture too, which probably means they will be messed about a little.

Good to see you, Pangaea.

Too bad the cooked Wheat tile is not 1N.

With no espionage victory possible, if I’m not mistaken, that means legendary cities are 100,000 culture each.

Edit: Never mind. I was thinking disabling an espionage victory turns off espionage but of course that’s the function of the No Espionage option.

Last edited:
In case DS wasn't clear. There is no land domination limit, so you get to (have to :( ) settle the entire map for max score. At least fractal has less land to deal with than most maps.
Similarly, I suppose without conquest you can kill them all and the game isn’t over yet.

With no espionage victory possible, if I’m not mistaken, that means legendary cities are 100,000 culture each.
Isn't that only if you disable espionage (turn it to culture) ?

I always play with all victory conditions, so not sure about all these details. Killing everybody and the game not being over would be super weird! :D

Probably not. The tech cost increase is hard to make up with a few extra AI tech trades.

And Espionage-Culture victory is still enabled unless DS prohibits it.

No, I don't prohibit it. The game actually makes no distinction between plain culture and espionage-culture. As far as Civ is concerned, a culture victory is a culture victory, no matter how it was achieved. There was a period after you (I think it was you?) invented the espionage-culture technique when we tried to manually distinguish the two, but we stopped doing that after a bit because it was extra work that we couldn't easily automate, and it became evident that almost no-one was playing espionage-culture anyway.

I've got an interesting choice here. I hate going for cultural victories. Maybe if you had included "Always Peace" as one of the conditions, but without that, I still feel that I'm setting myself up to be conquered by an AI that has raced ahead of me in tech. And my space victories have usually come after I've decided that AI are too strong for me to achieve a military victory. So, do I try to optimize my game for space or do I take advantage of not being able to trip the domination/conquest limit to milk the map for a Cow (being sure that my spaceship does reach Alpha Centauri before 2025)? :undecide:

Yep, Espionage-Culture is a fabrication, not a game mechanic. BUFFY does detect it now. It's not something that is "disabled" but rather "disallowed" by the staffer.

Is Time a valid win condition in GOTMs btw? Maybe not here if it's disabled, but in general? Not sure if I've seen it :think:

Is Time a valid win condition in GOTMs btw? Maybe not here if it's disabled, but in general? Not sure if I've seen it :think:

In general, it's a valid win condition: If you win a time victory, then your game counts and is scored as a win. We don't however give an award for the fastest time victory - for reasons that are hopefully obvious :lol:

In this particular game, time victory is disabled. (I have to admit, I don't actually know what that means the game will do if you do reach 2050AD without having won culture or space, so it might be best not to test it if you want to win :) )

Yep, Espionage-Culture is a fabrication, not a game mechanic. BUFFY does detect it now. It's not something that is "disabled" but rather "disallowed" by the staffer.

Interesting. I have to admit, I either hadn't realised (or possibly at some point had been told and then forgot) that BUFFY does detect espionage-culture victories. I'll try to mentally file that info away in case it's useful :)

In general, it's a valid win condition: If you win a time victory, then your game counts and is scored as a win. We don't however give an award for the fastest time victory - for reasons that are hopefully obvious :lol:
WHAT?! This is horribly disappointing! :lol::lol:

Think that change was the main feature about Buffy .005. Mainly for HoF play, but I'm sure a few of the top players have done spy wins in GOTM too. @Noble Zarkon has about 2000 games like that for the HoF :D

Top Bottom