• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

News: BTS SGOTM 10 Sign-up Thread - Armageddon

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

BtS SGOTM 10 - Armageddon

Gyathaar wants to see nuclear devastation this time. Stalin of Russia starts in the Renaissance era in 1285 AD, in a world with five Aggressive AI civs. He is hell bent on world conquest, BUT he can only capture a city if he nukes it first.

It's a fight to the nuclear death in an Epic speed, Emperor difficulty game on a Small sized Big and Small map. There are no goody huts, no events, no city razing, no city flipping, no Vassals. Only Conquest is enabled.

It's a standard Renaissance start, so you get a lot of techs at the beginning. Cities are created with pop 2 and a few buildings. You start with two settlers, two longbows, one explorer and a worker. The AI start with two settlers, four longbows, two explorers and a worker.

Versions
This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the new all-singing, all-dancing HoF Mod BUFFY-3.19.001. This HoF Mod version is available now. You can download it here.

If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or create and update a separate copy.

Mac players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows game on their system.

Timetable
The start files will be published on Friday, August 7. As in SGOTM 9, I shall set a deadline for you to finish.

Please post in this thread as soon as possible if you wish to join a team and take part in the competition. The information required to place you in a suitable team is as follows:-

1. Have you played any Civ4 GOTM games before?
  2. Have you played any succession games or SGOTM before?
  3. Do you have a group of players you want to play with?
  4. If you are new to GOTM/SGOTM, which level (noble, monarch, etc.) are you comfortable playing in a solo game?

Starting Position
Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
  • Playable Leader/Civ - Stalin of the Russian Empire.
  • Traits - Aggressive, Industrious.
  • Unique Unit - Cossack (replaces Cavalry)
  • Unique Building - Research Institute (replaces Laboratory)
  • Renaissance Era start - turn 277, 1285 AD.
  • Difficulty - Emperor
  • Game Speed - Epic (473 turns)
  • World size - Small
  • Rivals - Five
  • Landform - Big and Small
  • Other settings - No city razing, No Culture Flips, No goodie huts, No events, Aggressive AI, No Vassals
  • Victory Conditions - Conquest Only
Notes
  • Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the Fastest Conquest victory, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher. You will drop down the final ranking table* one place for each city that you capture without nuking it with a direct hit first. A "Capture" is defined as any method of obtaining a city other than by building it yourself using a settler. A "Capture" also includes retrieving a city you originally built but lost.

*The final ranking will sort teams in the following order:
    1. Win, lose or retire. Wins go first. Retirements go last.
    2. For wins, the number of un-nuked cities captured. Zero missed cities go first.
    3. For wins, the finish date.
    4. For losses and retirements, final score will determine their rankings within those categories.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Please sign up for this game as soon as possible, in this thread. I shall publish draft team lists below, around the end of July.

Current team lists - live feed from the database.

Первыйнах

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. CFR
4. Immortal

What a strange game... I don't think I've fired a nuke in my entire Civ 4 career!
I'd laugh if all the sources of Uranium are already under AI cities :lol:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Gypsy Kings
4. Emperor

This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using HoF Mod 3.19.001. This HoF Mod version is not available yet, but you will be able to download it here when it is released.
So, we finally have a date for the new HoF mod.

1) yes
2) yes
3) Fifth Element
4) Monarch with some shot on Emperor

An unusual game.
Please see i f i got it: if a team has the best finish date but conquers a city before nukes it will drop to 2nd? and if 2 cities it will drop to 3rd? Not that i think we'll have the best finish, just to avoid woods.

Me making the effort to find a copy of BTS in the bush somewhere needed a little encouragement and a particular motivation. This is it. Gyathaar is surely one of the more creative beings around. I'm in...

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, XTeam

1) yes
2) yes
3) Chokonuts
4) Emp.

This should be interesting... :hammer:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. XTeam
4. Settler

Gyathaar has accomplished what I've been trying to do for a year, getting Mad Professor to get a copy of :bts:. :goodjob:
:lol:

Hmm.. does that mean if the civ has spies left, they are not counted as dead with this option on?

if so I may have to reconsider if this option should be left on or not

Yep, killing any civs with spies(which would be everyone) is a pain, making conquest a matter of placing spies all over the map, not actually killing all the civs the fastest.

I am going to go with

1. No
2. Yes
3. Gypsy Kings
4. Immortal

for now, but I might change my team if too many people sign up... This is a rather short game so with a lot of players not everyone would get two sets even.

1. yes
2. yes
3. I think this setup is your fault, rolo. :p Smurkz!
4. Monarch, I guess.

(What does complete kills actually mean? That you have to destroy all units as well as all cities?)

Yes. :(

----------------------------------------------------------

Have you played any Civ4 GOTM games before?

Yes but not submitted.

Have you played any succession games or SGOTM before?

Yes.

Do you have a group of players you want to play with?

Geezers.

If you are new to GOTM/SGOTM, which level (noble, monarch, etc.) are you comfortable playing in a solo game?

N/A

Nukes!

:dance: :woohoo: :banana:

Global Thermonuclera Holocaust, what a great idea!

:salute:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Smurkz
4. Finished one game at Settler

1. yes
2. yes
3. I think this setup is your fault, rolo. :p Smurkz!
4. Monarch, I guess.

And exactly what is wrong with a nice nuclear holocaust for a change ? :D Even yesterday, just for fun, I finished a game of other player ( in warlord, I must admit ) by capping everyone with the exclusive usage of nukes :p ( Now that would be a interesting variant as well ;) )

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Smurkz
4. N/A

On complete kills:

Paving the ground with spies will not make them seeable, but will make the odds of intercepting the spies higher. The real issue is the GSpies...

Checking in. :)

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Unusual Suspects
4) Immortal

I've never played with complete kills on...afaik, great spies are not detectable at all, that could be a problem. For regular spies, there's a bug in 3.17 that sometimes makes them visible, I don't know for 3.19. (Domestics button reveals them if they are close to some worker iirc)

:nuke: :shifty: :bump:

Top Bottom