News: Current Game Schedule for GOTM and COTM

Sorry, I always forget which is which. If you look closely, you'll find a .biq file for C3C which I've posted. Iron is fixed etc. and the scenario properties prepared.

Bix versus Biq issues.

All of the changes listed by AlanH are already done in the standard biq file (by default) when you open the editor. Any additional changes that are made by the map creator would necessitate saving your working Biq file to another name.
My list of changes came straight off the release pages for PtW games, not C3C games, so they relate to the .bix and not the .biq.

@greatbeyond: If you started from scratch, all you have to do is make sure
  • that Iron is fixed
  • that in the General Settings, Starting Unit 1 is Worker and Starting Unit 2 is Settler
  • that COTM0112_OPEN is in the Scenario Description

When you open the scenario in the game, make sure
  • that preserve random seed is TOO ticked
  • that allow scientific leaders is NOT ticked

Apparently I never got around to posting the COTM.biq file. Sorry about that. Here it is (for reference):

Attachments

• COTM.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 232
I'm looking at the schedule of upcoming games and it looks really great! I was wondering though, has anyone been interested about taking input about some suggestions for certain things in upcoming games? Like just as an example, whether or not SGL is on, whether barbs are raging/roaming, etc?

I understand that I'm kind of the new guy here, so it's cool if you think this idea is dumb and I won't be offended. It's just that I've noticed there's really only a very small amount of people left playing the GOTM/COTM for civ3, and considering that, maybe it'd be interesting to get some kind of consensus or votes about settings like that.

I'm not saying I'm not satisfied with how this works. In fact, I like it a lot and I'm very thankful to all of you for the amount of work and effort you put into preparing these games for us. I just thought maybe myself and the others would also get some fun or take an interest in having a small input on some of the game settings for those games.

My thanks again for this great feature! Really looking forward to India Demigod.

You're welcome to comment the game setup and make suggestions. In fact game design is so much easier if there is feedback and creative ideas coming from the players.

Regarding Scientific Great Leaders specifically, the reason they are off and should stay off is that they can be used to rush Great Wonders, which makes them unsuitable for this competition, as the element of chance would increase for no real advantage. As you may know, the Scientific Golden Age is irreparably broken. It is one of the remaining bugs in C3C.

Well I don't know what others think, but personally I would really like less barbarians. Especially on higher levels, I feel like they strongly encourage a military-epmhasis playstyle. On Deity, Restless/Raging barbs force you to build up a substantial military- thus being less encouraging of builder-style and math-based play, especially since a lack of sufficient defense in larger empires against barbarians can lead to having your building progress destroyed. It kind of makes you build up a military even if you otherwise wouldn't in a peaceful game, because you need backup units everywhere, hurting your Republic due to cost, and then basically the mindset that since you're spending this much per turn on military you might as well go for Domination or something like that. It kind of makes you build up a military even if you otherwise wouldn't in a peaceful game.

I do understand that barbarians do make it harder for us against the AI, which is good, but then again, we do also have GOTMs that are on lower difficulty levels like Monarch and even below, which would lead me to believe that a higher challenge isn't always the greatest priority.

The best protection against Barbarian invasion in the core is to (i) have a line of newly founded small towns surrounding it and (ii) never have cash lying around. When these towns are sacked, there is no production, improvement or population available, so instead gold is stolen, preferrably at a rate of 0 gold per Barbarian, which is the case when there is no gold in the kitty. Once one has a sizeable army, these towns can grow and be improved. Gold can at this stage of the game often be used to establish Embassies or it can be gifted to backwards tribes and bought back later in exchange for, say, Technology.

Having (many) Barbarians is advantageous to the human player in some ways. It makes the AI tribes move Workers into the Capital, which can then be bought. Use the alert function of CivAssist II to know when. It means more Camps from which gold can be harvested. It provides opportunities to earn promotions, leading to a better ability to produce Great Leaders from subsequent Elite wins against AI troops.

Of course these advantages are less pronounced at higher levels.

It has also been found out how a Barbarian selects targets when there are more than one possibility. Sometimes it is possible to let a Worker stay next to a Barbarian if one knows that it will sack a town rather than kill the Worker. A Barbarian Warrior will select the its target at a one-tile distance following the well-known clockwise spiral beginning NE. It will however prefer a safe kill to a military attack.

Fewer barbarians at high levels will not reduce the need for a strong military. Unless you are isolated, the AI civs will typically take advantage of any military weakness.

Fewer barbarians at high levels will not reduce the need for a strong military. Unless you are isolated, the AI civs will typically take advantage of any military weakness.
Yes, but not without benefit to me. The passive builder approach has the added side-bonus of being an indirect baiting tactic for the AI to declare war on you. I'm always ready for that, and towns near my front will be response-ready. There is a great difference between military capability and a military presence. I don't need the latter if i have the former. Since I'm not playing a human player, there's no danger of a multi-layered invasion that can sweep all my cities in 3 turns. I don't care if I have to lose a border town to the AI if it means I don't need a bunch of units standing around all the time costing me money. I always play in such a way that I have just enough time to stop a further advance from the AI and slowly turn it around if need be.

Obviously this doesn't work if you have several borders to several civs, like typically is the case in Pangea games. In many situations, however, it's a great benefit.

Piu, you somewhere described how to set up a new GOTM... but i cannot find that anymore. :blush:
i dl the bix and have a new world open in the editor. but how do i change the starting Locations? (i see the delete option, but cannot find the option to set a new location.) and how to define the start for the human Player? (if i say "set active player") the editor gives me the options Barbarians, Civs and Player1... how do I define the HP as Rome for that game?

sorry, it is the first time i ever opened the PtW-editor...

t_x

This is a short instruction for creating a Play the World Game of the Month, especially for templar_x and Atishay Jain, who are creating upcoming GOTMs for summer. I write this from memory as I don't have an installation on this computer.

First you need to download GOTM.zip and unzip the archive to extract GOTM.bix, which should be placed in the <installation directory>/PTW/Scenarios directory so that it is loadable from the PTW editor and the PTW game.

Once you load this initial scenario into the editor, the PTW editor that is, not the Conquests editor, immediately hit "Save As" and choose a new name such as GOTM_143.bix or GOTM_144.bix.

The first required change is to open the Scenario dialog and on the first tab in the Description text box change GOTM0XXX to GOTM0143 or GOTM0144, respectively. This is important for the Civ Fanatics scripts to recognize submitted saves.

Then for the second required change, move to the Players tab and set Player1 to the playable civilization, Rome or Iroquois in your case. Make sure that "Human player" is ticked. It probably is. Set the difficulty level of all players to Monarch or Deity, respectively, by selecting each one, one after the other, in the drop-down menu. If you add more players, repeat this step.

Remember to always save changes, e.g. by pressing Ctrl-S. A small star in the title of the editor main window indicates that some change is unsaved.

Use the proper menu item in the main window to bring up the map creation dialog. Here you can start being creative, but please keep a balance between map size and difficulty level so that the game can be finished in six weeks by most regular players. Standard map size is most often just fine. Other settings are up to you, having the difficulty level in mind. We don't want to play Iroquois on Deity without easy access to Horses. Create a map by hand or automatically.

Now to change starting location, as templar_x found out, deleting one is easier than placing one. In the properties dialog for a tile, select starting location for Player1, which should now be the playable civilization. A starting location will now appear with the proper colour and designated by name.

Please take a look at all starting locations for the AI and move them if needed, e.g. if they are on a food bonus, or move the food bonus. The AI always settles directly. In order to move a starting location, you have to delete the old one and create a new one. There is no function to move a starting location. You can pair starting locations to AI tribes or not, it is up to you. The game will do any remaining allocation when you first load the scenario.

In the Edit Rules dialog, you can make all kinds of changes to Civilizations, Units, Wonders, Improvements and so on. There is no need to change anything, but for a special twist to the game, rules can be tweaked. This is where you can change the name of the leaderhead as I did in the Babylon game, or put the names of your colleagues in the office or of drones in Star Wars as Great Leaders. Take care and remember to explain all relevant rule changes in the pre-game discussion thread or in a PM to me.

When you are happy and ready to test, save the scenario and open it in the game under "Scenarios" instead of "Load game". In the dialog, all should be set alright. Here, you can select AI aggression level. Hit OK here and in the welcome dialog "You know roading and irrigation...". You have now created a starting save, so hit Save and make a screen capture for the starting location picture.

At this point, you can test the game by playing it, make changes in the editor to the scenario, create a new starting save with picture etc. until you are happy and ready to release the game.

The save from 4000 BC in the normal Saves directory is what you need to email to AlanH. He will put it in the database and it will be released automatically on the right date.

A pre-game discussion thread will serve as basis for the game release page. It should contain game details, descriptions of any rule changes, a picture of the starting location and if you wish a suitable illustration fitting to the civilization. The pre-game discussion thread should open three days before game release. You can create it yourself or ask me. Please keep to the given format. AlanH has to be informed so that he can make the thread sticky.

done! thank you so much for giving this step-by-step introduction. honestly, it still did not feel too easy for me to get along with the Editor. but i set up your game now and will publish it when the time comes...

only thing that seemed not to be right is where to set the aggression level. this i was not asked when opening the file, but seems already to be saved in the bix-file somehow.

t_x

Top Bottom