News: GOTM 147 Persia. Pregame Discussion

Lanzelot

In game number 147 of the classic GOTM series you will rule as Emperor Xerxes over Persia. The Persians are industrious and scientific, start with the knowledge of Masonry and Bronze Working, and their unique unit is the Immortal, an improved Swordsman at 4/2/1.
Note: for this game the Persian Immortal has the extra ability of being amphibious!

Civilization|Persia
Difficulty|Monarch
Map size|Standard
Map topology|I won't tell...
Climate|All standard
Rivals|7 pre-selected
Barbarians|Restless
Available victory conditions|All enabled
Required victory condition|Conquest
Starting Save Available|January 13, 2016
Submissions due|February 24, 2016

PLEASE NOTE THE CLOSING DATE

Starting location

Attachments

• gotm147.png
    gotm147.png
    121 KB · Views: 293
  • Xerxes_at_Doorway_of_his_Palace.jpg
    Xerxes_at_Doorway_of_his_Palace.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 332
HTH, am I? I feel less energetic day by day..

I'm almost quitting civ3 cause it takes so much time from me instead of doing productive things, then I found these game of the month things here which is kinda nice because I can get to share the gaming experience I have with all of you.

I think I play only once/2months.. with the exception of these game of the month.. this will be my third time joining just in case.. :D

I dont event know whats 2-ring core actually is, i have some idea though.

It's a difficult starting position. You'd like to send the Worker S and stay by the Wheat, but the coastline in the west and the mountains appear to make it impossible to set up a decent inner ring of cities. Move NE along the river and that problem clears up, but the Wheat tile is available only after 11 turns, in addition to becoming difficult to reach with Workers. I really don't know what's better. Use Forest tiles to jump Palace, somehow keeping the Wheat tile within the borders at all times?

Immortals are strong enough to be useful also after the discovery of The Republic, so I would ideally postpone military action until this time and enjoy a Golden Age under a young Republic. Apparently in connection with Galleys. This puts the focus on rapid expansion and research, aggravating the contradictions of the starting location.

Well done, Lanzelot!

What if I triggered domination instead of the conquest victory? Can that happen?

PS Just notice the color. No greeks! Yay)

How to you arrive at that conclusion? Every nation has two colors. So if the Persians start with the light-green color, the Greeks could still be part of the game with their "secondary" color... :mischief:

(Hint: you can use F10 to check your opponents right when you start the game. I only say this much: I made sure that you will meet some tough opponents... ;))

What if I triggered domination instead of the conquest victory? Can that happen?

Yes, that can happen. You need to be careful to avoid it, if you want full points for this game.

Every nation has two colors. So if the Persians start with the light-green color, the Greeks could still be part of the game with their "secondary" color...
May be this is just a lack of experience, but I'm never seen some nations, Greece included, beyond their "own" color.

Why does the main page with the date countdown have the wrong info?

Classic GOTM 147 36 days 12 hours
GOTM 146 England. Pregame Discussion, GOTM146 - England Emperor 100k - 1st spoiler - End of ancient times, GOTM146 - England Emperor 100k - Final spoiler - Game submitted, GOTM 147 Persia. Pregame Discussion, GOTM147 - Persia Monarch Conquest - 1st spoiler - End of ancient times

Just asking.:confused:

Why does the main page with the date countdown have the wrong info?

Classic GOTM 147 36 days 12 hours
GOTM 146 England. Pregame Discussion, GOTM146 - England Emperor 100k - 1st spoiler - End of ancient times, GOTM146 - England Emperor 100k - Final spoiler - Game submitted, GOTM 147 Persia. Pregame Discussion, GOTM147 - Persia Monarch Conquest - 1st spoiler - End of ancient times

Just asking.:confused:

Thanks for the heads up. Don't know why it happened yet, but I've fixed it.

Every nation has two colors. So if the Persians start with the light-green color, the Greeks could still be part of the game with their "secondary" color...
Unlike title screenshot in my game (gotm_147_ptw_open.sav) color of my units is turquoise (secondary for Persians). Something different between software versions? Mine is separate PtW (eng).

And I really never seen Greeks beyond light-green, even in modded scenarios with 30 rivals.

---
I forgot to look into editor! Things with secondary colors looks clear now. Rom Egy Gre Ger Rus Ame Fra Azt Irq Eng have secondary color = primary.

---
I made sure that you will meet some tough opponents... ;))
I have some fun already in 3500bc, thanks. :eek2:

Top Bottom