News: TSG65 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 65
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Sixty-fifth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Culture victory turn.

In this game you will play as Polynesia and lead the Polynesian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Culture is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until Aug 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V G&K - TSG65 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Kamehameha - Polynesia
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat and Quick Movement are enabled. (You may turn them off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.3.18. Polynesia and Korea/Ancient Wonders of the World DLCs are required for this game.

**Make note of the game version. This reflects the new patch released July 03, 2013.

In this game, you will be playing as Kamehameha, you possess Wayfinding. You can embark and move over Oceans immediately. Units gain +1 Sight when embarked and +10% Combat Strength bonus if within 2 tiles of a Moai.

You can train the Maori Warrior. They possess the Haka War Dance promotion which strikes fear into nearby enemies making them less effective in combat. It replaces the warrior and only Polynesia may build it.

You can improve tiles with the Maoi when you unlock Construction. It provide culture bonuses and only Polynesia may create them.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Thursday, 15 August 2013.

The Save can be found here.

I think I'd move the warrior to the salt then the southern sheep hill to see if there is any stone/marble nearby. If so, then moving to settle on the desert hill would allow the stoneworks. If no stone/marble spotted, then settle in place.

The problem with not settling in place is that the Cow tile will be out of reach and you won't have a single 2+ Food tile to start with making early growth extremely painful until you reach 25 Culture. I guess it forces you into Monument first if you go that Route (unless you get lucky with an early Culture Ancient Ruins).

Settling in place also gives you an extra Desert Hill in what is already shaping up to be a great Petra city. But by moving the Warrior to the south, you can check whether you might get an even better Petra city!

Dang, was hoping for a Brave New World map =/

That's for the next one on August 1st. We wanted there to be enough time to play with the new mechanics and maybe find the bugs before jumping into it. This is likely to be the last GnK map if there isn't some surprising turn in the poll (or an executive decision, haha).

So playing two BNW Culture VCs in the last week completely destroyed my ability to play a Culture VC in G&K. Note that I only started playing G&K about 2 months ago though, but still...

**QUICK CORRECTION**

I forgot to change the game version after the patch on July 3rd came out. It is 1.0.3.18 and is required for this GotM. If you have Steam updating disabled you will need to enable it to allow the patch.

My apologies and it is now corrected in the OP.

HR

I will definitely move the warrior first. This looks like an attractive OCC spot, but NOT on the coast. The desert tile next to the salt is also not a bad start. But it has one less hammer. OTOH, that would seem to be ideal to put some Maois on the coast.

The polynesians should appeal to me as that's where I live. Near Kamehameha Highway :) But the unique abilities aren't exactly my favorites. I haven't built a Maoi in my Civ life ever.

Gonna need some workers, ideally free ones. I wonder if on Emperor one can go for GL, via Terracotta and still get Petra?

Top Bottom