News: WOTM 10 Pre-Game Discussion

I can attest to this being true. Tried a test game last night (well, actually several since this world war variant is not exactly a walk in the park... :D ) and got a Longbow to 300+ XP in the early ADs. Fortified in a hill city with combat VI, CD3, Guerilla 2, Drill4 and just about all other possible promotions, this guy all by himself defended against the combined armies of 17 enraged AIs. Maces, trebs, elephants, cats, berserkers, blablabla, they couldn't even scratch him. :lol:

Then finally a war elephant managed to bring him down to 12 HP in a 0.00% battle and all was lost... :(

My 93xp longbow seems a liitle bit lame now. He wasn't a warlord though.

the way the vassal system works is very complicated. There will always be some other civ who will backstab you to become the master of the civ you are harassing (but which one, there are too many civ from around the world map). With 17 agressive AI on, expect more backstabs as AI have nothing to build but miliary units in mid game. If this game is in Vanilla, this game could be much simplier.

i noticed as i was about to submit WOTM 9.. "You may only submit one entry for each game, and it must be your first attempt at the game, played without reloads." no reloads, i saved that game when i went to bed and finished next day, and as said no reloads, i didnt submit.

I expected no reloads made a lot of sense as people can reload from a save after someone loses a city and wants the battles to be redone and hope they win if they think they should have without bad luck the first time. So yes, i thought this rule made sense? am i misinterpreting?

@Piko, You should read the thread that is linked to the starting file download page for new users, those new to GOTM's. The basics are that you CANNOT REPLAY ANY MOVES. You are allowed to save your game and start from that exact point.

@Piko. In other words, you can load, but you can't re-load.

Loading is starting today where you left off yesterday. Everything is new, nothing is re-done, you don't repeat a single detail of your game.

Re-loading is going back and re-starting at an earlier point because you want to re-do something you didn't like, for whatever reason. That's a no no.

In other words, it's like real life. In real life there are no time machines allowing you to go back and change your past. Same thing is true in GOTM. No time machines. YOu can't change your past. youre' stuck with your destiny and all the b.s. that involves. ;)

i noticed as i was about to submit WOTM 9.. "You may only submit one entry for each game, and it must be your first attempt at the game, played without reloads." no reloads, i saved that game when i went to bed and finished next day, and as said no reloads, i didnt submit.

I expected no reloads made a lot of sense as people can reload from a save after someone loses a city and wants the battles to be redone and hope they win if they think they should have without bad luck the first time. So yes, i thought this rule made sense? am i misinterpreting?
I have always thought the term "no reloads" was misleading, as you have to load the game to start a new play session. As Ronnie1 said, the prohibition is against REPLAYS. But not just of unit moves, you should not "do over" any irreversible decision. So if you declare war and wish you didn't, or refuse a tribute demand and then wish you hadn't, etc. you cannot load up the turn before and REPLAY that decision differently.

So no REPLAYS or DO-OVERS (no Mulligans if you are a golfer :D )

RESUME events are permitted: save the game, exit (without any changes since the save), do those distracting tasks like eat, sleep, earn a living :lol:, and then RESUME the game by loading the save you made just before you exited the previous session. Nothing has to be replayed.

The easy way to do this is to activate the save on exit feature of the HOF mod (Tab HOF 3 in the options). It makes a save at the time you exit, which is the perfect save to load for the next session. The save on exit gets named with three letter chunks of the game parameters, such as Chu_Mon_Epi_... for Churchill, Monarch, Epic etc. I think the game year is also in the name by default ... that or the save date in real time sorts them out.

For completeness, what to do if you have a crash? First of all, set autosave to autosave every turn (default is every 4) if you plan to play (S)(G/W)OTMs. Then if you have a crash, load up the last autosave, and if that is earlier than some decisons, play those again just as you did the first time (yes, repeat any mistakes). Send a PM to the gamemaster about when the crash occurred, and how old an autosave you had to load.

Crash tip (voice of experience): if you computer is prone to crashing late in the game (often a video issue), use low graphics, and create a file called, say, "GOTM9 running save" and save right before you hit end turn. Or make troop moves, save, inspect cities, then save, then hit end turn (I had video crashes in the interturn and in the new turn during city pop-up windows ... this save pattern copes with those without any replays). The autosave happens just before your next turn, so without a save before you hit end turn, an interturn crash means replaying the last turn.

If I have any of this wrong (unlikely), I am sure the mods will correct me. ;)

Hope it helps.

dV

@ LC (formerly LtC? :lol: ) You beat me by what, seconds? :D

dV

Moderator Action: WARNING: Please do NOT discuss any active game outside the spoiler threads once you have opened the starting save.

very sedatively...if I didn't have [censored] :)p) open at this moment, you woulda put me to sleep :p
I fell asleep writing it! :lol: Maybe that is why LC beat me to the punch ... er ... post?

Maybe I should sell my posts as a treatment for insomnia! ;)

Do you suppose that AlanH has that comment running on autopilot? Your post seemed pretty harmless ... just the game name. Or maybe he is just nipping you in the bud ...?

dV

Do you suppose that AlanH has that comment running on autopilot? Your post seemed pretty harmless ... just the game name. Or maybe he is just nipping you in the bud ...?

dV
Yes, bud-nipping, though there was a more marginal case in another thread. :)

The rule is simple. Don't post here once you've opened the save. There should be no need to do so. That saves lots of worrying about gray areas on spoiling between innocence and guilt. Technical or administrative questions once you have opened the save should normally be taken up by PM with the staff, not aired in the public forums.

yer not prone to crash = ) just didnt like sitting in the background all day, thanks for the info guys! see me on the leaderboard next month *wink*

I can see I am late for the party ... Have never played Warlords before, but I finished the GOTM 19 recently, and was getting "cabin fever" needing to get out and explore the Civ World again ... so I figured this forum might be a "fix."

I have owned CivIV and Warlords 3-4 months, but just loaded Warlords this weekend. RL will prob prevent me from finishing this WOTM as I wait for GOTM 20 to be released, as I will travel a lot in July, but I figure, what the HeQ, give it a try. Start learning the nuances of Warlords v. vanilla Civ.

Thanks to everyone posting in the pre-game thread above, I have at least some idea of what to do. The EEO post about the CS slingshot was very interesting, as I certainly wouldn't have thought of that on my own. If I understand the replies and comments re: his post, when the human player, I.e., me, starts off on a faster tech track, somehow the software puts the AI civs on a faster track than they would normally be, I am reading between the lines here, but is that correct?

My first Warlords, first WOTM, so wish me luck. I'll be in the Adventurer Class for this one, but that's no guarantee of success for a noob.

Adama
Military Leader of the last remnant of the human race

Crash tip (voice of experience): if you computer is prone to crashing late in the game (often a video issue), use low graphics, and create a file called, say, "GOTM9 running save" and save right before you hit end turn. Or make troop moves, save, inspect cities, then save, then hit end turn (I had video crashes in the interturn and in the new turn during city pop-up windows ... this save pattern copes with those without any replays). The autosave happens just before your next turn, so without a save before you hit end turn, an interturn crash means replaying the last turn.
Good decription of crash prone points. :goodjob:

You know, I don't know why it never occured to me to add a "Save on 'End Turn'" option. I will have to look and see but I bet I can make that work. A few other save points might also be possible but one step at a time.

Of course, people with lower end machines will have to wait through an extra save. But if you are crash prone it might be worth it. I'll have to make that suggestion to myself. ;)

Good decription of crash prone points. :goodjob:
Learned from painful experience! :sad:

I think I had the most crashes (video related) during reveiw of city screens (opening one and moving through them in series with the next arrow at the top). This is managed by a manual save after all troops have moved and before going into the city screens. Second most common was in the interturn, or during the city popups announcing completed construction. This is managed by the save on end turn. Rarest was the crash during unit movement or combat. But a save after a significant combat locks it in.

Regarding automatic saves, the save at end turn seems feasible, but I don't know how you could automate the pre- city review save, or the post- major combat save. What would be the trigger?

Replaying combat exactly with huge stacks is always a challenge. Fortunately, the autolog can give you hints as to which units attacked first.

dV

Learned from painful experience! :sad:

I think I had the most crashes (video related) during reveiw of city screens (opening one and moving through them in series with the next arrow at the top). This is managed by a manual save after all troops have moved and before going into the city screens. Second most common was in the interturn, or during the city popups announcing completed construction. This is managed by the save on end turn. Rarest was the crash during unit movement or combat. But a save after a significant combat locks it in.

Regarding automatic saves, the save at end turn seems feasible, but I don't know how you could automate the pre- city review save, or the post- major combat save. What would be the trigger?

Replaying combat exactly with huge stacks is always a challenge. Fortunately, the autolog can give you hints as to which units attacked first.

dV

I have a crash prone machine too.
I could make it better though (clean reinstallation would do, I know I had a lot less crashes last time I did), but I'm a bit lazy.

In my case, it's alt-tabbing to take notes or having the game idle which makes the game crash. It's probably a (virtual) memory problem.
The good thing is I don't have to worry about the multiple saves. I must remember to save before alt-tabbing and before leaving the computer though, but at least I don't fear the city screens.

I have a crash prone machine too.
I could make it better though (clean reinstallation would do, I know I had a lot less crashes last time I did), but I'm a bit lazy.

In my case, it's alt-tabbing to take notes or having the game idle which makes the game crash. It's probably a (virtual) memory problem.
The good thing is I don't have to worry about the multiple saves. I must remember to save before alt-tabbing and before leaving the computer though, but at least I don't fear the city screens.
I suppose you have a good video card? My crashes were almost all video-related, until I got a new computer with a much better card ... now it never crashes.

dV

Top Bottom