NHL Offseason 2013

Jarome Iginla to Boston, cause there is no limit on the craziness today.

Congratulation to Chelios, Shanahan and Niedermayer for their nomination to the Hall of Fame.

Sill disappointed that Pat Burns is still being ignored. How long before the coach who won the most Jack Adams trophy get in?

Cause this offseason just keeps getting weirder, Ilya Kovalchuk has allegedly announced his retirement...

TSN now has that story on their mainpage. Look like it's real.

He can't unless the NHL releases his contract.

If he is retired, then I don't think there is anything the NHL can do to stop him going to the KHL.

My understanding is that NJ COULD Have blocked him getting out of the contract, but they chose not to.

My understanding is that NJ COULD Have blocked him getting out of the contract, but they chose not to.

Lou is not a dumb man. Probably saw a chance to get a ton of money off the books and jumped at the opportunity. And lets also not forget how terrible the Devils finances are right now. Put all these things together, and it starts to paint an interesting picture.

Indeed. I figure someone in NJ figured that getting off the hook for money and cap space was worth more to the team than an unhappy Ilya,.

Yup, Ilya is playing in the KHL. Huh. Well, sucks for the Devils in the short term but awesome for their long term.

there's an article on the Comcast philly site lauding the ray emery signing as the best free agent signing in the whole nhl this summer. not sure I completely agree with that. it's pretty good especially considering how cheap he signed for (1 yr at M1.65 iirc). that and emery is now teamed with another guy with a year left on his contract (steve mason). but the best ? not so sure.

I don't understand Philly.

Sign and trade, sign and buyout, sign and trade, sign and buyout. When will it ever end? What's the long-term sustainable plan?

They are above the floor right now and need to get below it and correct me if I'm mistaken but it lowers again next year.

I guess the one saving grace is that they did go to the Stanley Cup finals somewhat recently...

there's an article on the Comcast philly site lauding the ray emery signing as the best free agent signing in the whole nhl this summer. not sure I completely agree with that. it's pretty good especially considering how cheap he signed for (1 yr at M1.65 iirc). that and emery is now teamed with another guy with a year left on his contract (steve mason). but the best ? not so sure.

IMO Nashville was smart this offseason. Cullen at 3.5 and Stalberg at 3. No superstars here but they always fly under the radar with their signings and then prove to be a tough team to face-off night in and night out.

They may not win the Cup but they sure are well-managed. But a Cup could be in their future - they have the sickest roster of blueliners in the league coming up the pipe:
-Weber, Josi, Jones, Klein, Ellis, Ekholm

No wonder the underperforming Blum was so expendable

IMO Nashville was smart this offseason. Cullen at 3.5 and Stalberg at 3. No superstars here but they always fly under the radar with their signings and then prove to be a tough team to face-off night in and night out.

Man, that's one thing I wish was different about Stalberg. The Toronto media and fanbase crushed him but he does a whole lot better in quieter markets. Shame.

Top Bottom