NiGHTS: General Discussion

Great to hear, Markus - I was hesitant to try launching the game following the recent Steam update.

It's fully working again - although I have come across a bug where new units added to the game, (the Knights, Explorer, Grenadier, among others), aren't having their new unit graphics displayed correctly.

I've figured out how to fix this and will be uploading a revised version to the Workshop and CivFanatics later tonight, (within the hour actually - as the patch changed the way new unit graphics are added to mods). Sorry for anyone expecting to get a Teutonic Horseman and instead currently getting a Spearman. :crazyeye:

EDIT: v12.0 uploaded to the Steam Workshop with the graphics fix.

Really excited for G&K, though I am wary. I don't think it will really change the game enough to how it needs to be. Since they didn't add in individual happiness rates for cities, health, and switchable civics....

Anyway, can't wait to see what you cook up with the new material Markus! :goodjob:

The latest version of Nights (11.9) is now on the Steam Workshop for anyone that prefers to get the mod from there. It's compatible with the latest patch, (barring the exclusion of the CLOSE key on the tech tree screen - so you'll have to escape out of this for now).

V12 will be released after G+K comes out, as both a standalone version for vanilla CIV V, and as a companion for the expansion. This'll take quite a bit of re-balancing and probably won't be released until later in the summer. :)

How can you make a Vanilla and a G+K version? Do you own two CIV V games, one where you buy the xpack and one without?

And can you now have bigger files than 10 mb? Wasn't there a problem with your mod if the size is greater than 10mb?

I dl the update and even uninstalled and re-installed the game and the regular game screen works fine but (I downloaded the mod from the steam workshop) but on the mod setup screen when I try to make selections the game crashes. Anyone else have this problem?

Stand corrected. When I start to play a regular game it also crashes so there is something else going on. :(

Encountered a new bug last night in which I was unable to add anything to any city's build queue. Saving and reloading from the main menu fixed it. Had to do that twice.

When I quit playing for the night, Windows wanted to reset my display settings, indicating a probable memory leak. That would obviously be a Civ problem, not NiGHTS.

Saw a complaint on another forum from a vanilla player who can't load saved games at all -- any saved games.

Looks to me like Firaxis is going to need to patch their patch.

after this Nights a few games. i think that all the support for ocean tiles is FAR too much.

i had a game with 3 cities with all of em having 2 resource ocean tiles (pearls and fish) and the combination of of organized religion perk,docks, burial grounds and moai statue gave me a ridicilous advantage early on in the game. bacially making it that research was far too slow to give me more buildings to construct. giving me the chance to build an army in a matter of few turns on standard without any disbenefits because i already built everything.. and this wasnt even the moai city,...(was playing on emperor) and also mix in the fact that coastal cities also have their own tree to help em the entire game. just too much benefits. making it that if you want to try a deity game. you are going to need a coastal city structre if you want to make sure you win..

in short the ocean tiles are just too beneficial early game and will not lose their effect later on thanks to all the cultural tree support. the combined support they provide is far too many benefits compared to other types cities and resources. ( and ahead im sorry for any grammar mistakes. not my native language..)

I dl the update and even uninstalled and re-installed the game and the regular game screen works fine but (I downloaded the mod from the steam workshop) but on the mod setup screen when I try to make selections the game crashes. Anyone else have this problem?

Stand corrected. When I start to play a regular game it also crashes so there is something else going on. :(

Yeah, the latest patch destroyed the game for some people. I can play vanilla game fine, but I can't activate any mods at all. I don't get the option on the "Mods" page in game. Only buttons I have there is "Single Player" and "Back". Hope some fix will come, can't play civV unmodded...

this is my "Mods" page:

markusbeutel, do you have a download link for the latest version of Nights pre patch?
I would like to play it on my other PC thats offline and hasn't updated to the latest CivV version.

Really excited for G&K, though I am wary. I don't think it will really change the game enough to how it needs to be. Since they didn't add in individual happiness rates for cities, health, and switchable civics....

Anyway, can't wait to see what you cook up with the new material Markus! :goodjob:

I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing what I can come up with. :)

How can you make a Vanilla and a G+K version? Do you own two CIV V games, one where you buy the xpack and one without?

And can you now have bigger files than 10 mb? Wasn't there a problem with your mod if the size is greater than 10mb?

It looks like Firaxis has set it up so that we can essentially "swap" dll's, which would allow me to work on a copy for both. Worst case scenario, I do have separate Civ copies on multiple computers.:crazyeye:

Did you clear your cache and moduserdata? Also, I've had people report that they stopped having crashes when they subscribed to the mod through the steam workshop web page instead of through the in game "get mods" steam overlay. You could also always try and manually put get the mod here from Civfanatics.

And make sure you physically check your MODS folder and delete any files in here that might be corrupt, (they'll be the ones with long variable names).

Encountered a new bug last night in which I was unable to add anything to any city's build queue. Saving and reloading from the main menu fixed it. Had to do that twice.

When I quit playing for the night, Windows wanted to reset my display settings, indicating a probable memory leak. That would obviously be a Civ problem, not NiGHTS.

Saw a complaint on another forum from a vanilla player who can't load saved games at all -- any saved games.

Looks to me like Firaxis is going to need to patch their patch.

Loading games from the main menu is necessary now, as the patch switches up some load orders, so this'll be the new norm for most larger mods unfortunately.

after this Nights a few games. i think that all the support for ocean tiles is FAR too much.

i had a game with 3 cities with all of em having 2 resource ocean tiles (pearls and fish) and the combination of of organized religion perk,docks, burial grounds and moai statue gave me a ridicilous advantage early on in the game. bacially making it that research was far too slow to give me more buildings to construct. giving me the chance to build an army in a matter of few turns on standard without any disbenefits because i already built everything.. and this wasnt even the moai city,...(was playing on emperor) and also mix in the fact that coastal cities also have their own tree to help em the entire game. just too much benefits. making it that if you want to try a deity game. you are going to need a coastal city structre if you want to make sure you win..

in short the ocean tiles are just too beneficial early game and will not lose their effect later on thanks to all the cultural tree support. the combined support they provide is far too many benefits compared to other types cities and resources. ( and ahead im sorry for any grammar mistakes. not my native language..)

Coastal cities are indeed strong, but they aren't necessary for higher difficulty levels, and they're also pretty circumstantial in regards to if there are any ocean resources nearby. What difficulty were you playing on? Also, if you managed to run out of things to build, that's more a case of choosing inefficient tech paths than anything else. Beelining techs isn't as viable an option in Nights compared to vanilla Civ V, where you more or less have 2-3 lines to choose from. At some point, even though you might not need an early tech, if it takes 2 turns to research, you should probably just grab it.

Having said all that, the next update will attempt to balance out coastal cities a bit more, while boosting policies in branches like Honor, for example.

markusbeutel, do you have a download link for the latest version of Nights pre patch?
I would like to play it on my other PC thats offline and hasn't updated to the latest CivV version.

Have you tried clearing out your cache and moduserdata folders? Also check your MODS folder and delete anything in there, as sometimes files are corrupted when you first attempt to install them.

If all of that doesn't work, I released a Mac version of the mod, which is essentially just the pre-patch version of v11.8, (although it doesn't have all the balance tweaks for the economy), so you might end up having more gold than you would in v 12.0.
It's listed on the first page of modpacks here on CivFanatics.

On a side note, what are people's thoughts on G+K's? I have multiple midterms and essays this week so I won't get a chance to try it out until the weekend.

Also, sometime over the next couple of weeks I plan on releasing a stand-alone version of Nights - essentially a hardcore version, where the policy branches will be mutually exclusive, the AI will act more aggressively, and gold will be harder to maintain. Essentially a Sid level difficulty for the mod for anyone that wants a challenge.

Yes, I even deleted the game on steam. Manually deleted all folders that remained. Redownloaded, and still nothing. I can't choose any mods at the mods page, and I also doesn't have the options to choose the DLC's. It's not there in the menu. I really don't understand whats up with that.

Thanks for heads up on the 11.8 version, gonna test it on my other machine :)

Markus, do you have any plans to release a general compatibility patch for G&K in the near term so we can continue to play while you work out the greater changes you wish to make? I realized, too late, I forgot to disable updates so that I got the expansion in the middle of a good game that was, if not corrupted, severely impaired by it trying to run alongside G&K. It's fun to play with the new features, but I do miss NiGHTS.

Yeah, I've always thought coastal cities, with bonus resources, are VERY powerful. With all the bonus's they get it almost feels as if they are balanced to be your 3rd or 4th city. But if they are your 1st, with capital bonus, or 2nd, they just blow your enemies away.

Yeah, the latest patch destroyed the game for some people. I can play vanilla game fine, but I can't activate any mods at all. I don't get the option on the "Mods" page in game. Only buttons I have there is "Single Player" and "Back". Hope some fix will come, can't play civV unmodded...

this is my "Mods" page:

I re-installed windows 7 (I was putting this off for a long time) and everything seems to work unless I find a further problem with the comp. :)

On a side note, what are people's thoughts on G+K's?

Based on the reviews I've seen, Firaxis did not address Civ 5's biggest flaws: AI tactics and diplomacy. I am not enthused. I might get it after it goes on sale, but certainly not before there's a NiGHTS version. Don't hurry on my account. :king:

Yeah, I've always thought coastal cities, with bonus resources, are VERY powerful. With all the bonus's they get it almost feels as if they are balanced to be your 3rd or 4th city. But if they are your 1st, with capital bonus, or 2nd, they just blow your enemies away.

I'll be tweaking them a bit, or at the very least boosting land-locked cities in turn.

I re-installed windows 7 (I was putting this off for a long time) and everything seems to work unless I find a further problem with the comp. :)

Good to hear. :)

Based on the reviews I've seen, Firaxis did not address Civ 5's biggest flaws: AI tactics and diplomacy. I am not enthused. I might get it after it goes on sale, but certainly not before there's a NiGHTS version. Don't hurry on my account. :king:

That was my impression as well. Once the shininess wears off, I think that's the refrain that'll be coming through loud and clear again.

Hope I don't have to try to reinstall, the vanilla game works flawlessly. Also seen some others with similar problems, so hope it will be fixed :)
It's just so hard playing vanilla civ, instead of Nights.
Saw that the version on my other PC is 1.0.1.348 GOTY edition, will the 11.8 work on that one, or do you have another version that works for it? I really don't wan't to take the chance to update that PC CivV to the latest version..

That was my impression as well. Once the shininess wears off, I think that's the refrain that'll be coming through loud and clear again.

Sounds different from http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=464730

I'm not saying all is perfect, but most critics don't have the time to play civ so much that they could tell about AI and so on. I mean, what tells you one match, maybe on low difficult and only played for a few hours about civ and specially AI improvements?

And would it be perfect, there would be no need for NIGHTS :D

(I had re-installed windows 7) I now find that with the new patch if I try to load a save from the mods/single player window (which is what I used to do) the game crashes but if I load off the main menu/single player it does not. This is only true in off-line mode. On line mode either method of loading the game seems to work.

BUT (I'm not a techie so I really love this) I went online to re-check this -- note: I had downloaded the mod from the "workshop" and unchecked the "subscription" and the mod disappeared i.e. it automatically uninstalled itself.

So I reinstalled the mod from the workshop I went on and off line and was able even to get the saved game but with the same above results.

I suppose if you are a programmer this is real fun.:)

Hello,iam new at this game and i want to play the mod with the Gods & Kings addon on.But i have a KEY_TXT problem and i cant choose a production. I did the installtion several times with the instruction

Hello,iam new at this game and i want to play the mod with the Gods & Kings addon on.But i have a KEY_TXT problem and i cant choose a production. I did the installtion several times with the instruction

Nights only works with the vanilla version(s) of the game right now and hasn't yet been updated for G+K's. It'll happen eventually, though. :)

Top Bottom