NiGHTS: Governments

markusbeutel

NiGHTS
The following is the list of Government types that can be temporarily adopted following a successful Cultural Revolution in your Empire.

Despotism
Everyone starts with this tech unlocked at the beginning of the game and it allows you to build Workers, Scouts, Settlers, and Farms.
  • Adopting Despotism increases the rate that Workers build Improvements by +50%.

Feudalism
The only other Government that's unlocked in the Ancient Era, (although it takes more techs to research than Republic). Researching it adds +1 food to farms beside freshwater, (rivers/lakes), Indentured Servants (build Improvements faster, and the Pavillion - a Wonder that each Civ can build once which improves Happiness.
  • Adopting Feudalism causes each of your Cities to carry +30% of food over after growth, and adds a +1 food yield to every bonus resource.

Republic
The first Government tech you're able to unlock in the Classical Era. It unlocks Caravels, Lighthouses, and allows you to cross ocean tiles.
  • Adopting Republic increases your current influence with City-States by +100%, and also boosts Wonder construction by +20% in all of your Cities.

Oligarchy
The second Government tech that you're able to unlock in the Classical Era. It unlocks the Temple of Solomon Wonder that instantly grants +1500 Gold and a Happiness bonus, the Black Market (1 per Civ - adds +10 Gold to each local luxury resource), and it allows for the conversion of Production to Gold (Wealth).
  • Adopting Oligarchy increases the amount of Gold you get from trade routes by +100%. It also adds +1 gold to the yield of worked luxury resources in all of your Cities.

Theocracy
The last Government tech unlocked in the Classical Era. It unlocks Abbeys, Cathedrals, and one of the 3 early Knight variant units.
  • Adopting Theocracy gives you a free policy, and increases the rate at which Great People are generated by +100% in all of your Cities.

Monarchy
The only Government tech unlocked in the Medieval Era, it unlocks regular Knights, Castles, and the Himeji Castle Wonder.
  • Adopting Monarchy increases the rate of Production when constructing buildings by +40% in all of your Cities and also initiates a Golden Age.

Democracy
The first Government tech unlocked in the Renaissance Era, it unlocks Odeons, the Magna Carta Wonder, (1 per Civ - +33% Wonder boost in the City it's built in), and the Porcelain Tower.
  • Adopting Democracy increases the Culture output and Cultural border expansion of all your Cities by +30%.

Communism
The last Government tech unlocked in the Renaissance Era (and in the game), it unlocks the Kremlin, the Ironworks National Wonder, and the Motherland Calls Wonder (+50% local building production in the City it's built in).
  • Adopting Communism increases the rate of Military and Spaceship production by +50% in all of your Cities.

Each Government, (except Despotism), also has buildings and Wonders that can only be constructed while that Government is active. If you fail to complete the Wonder while your Government is active, it'll disappear from the build queue.

Did you get to look at my Government Buildings mod in the end? Been away for a good while, so I've completely lost track of most things Civ5, but remember mention of possibly incorporating some of it's elements with NiGHTS(?)

May be a stupid question but I can't seem to find the screen to choose governments anywhere.

Not a stupid question. :) Governments work a bit differently than what you might've been used to in CIV IV. As soon as you build your first World Wonder, (not National Wonder), your culture points start pooling towards a Cultural Revolution. (There's an icon in the top bar that explains this and tallies your points). You're in a competition with other Civ's to get these Cultural Revolutions, so there's an added incentive to build up culture points beyond just going for policies.

Once you win a CR, you can choose any of the Governments that you've unlocked through their named Techs, (you start off having only unlocked Despotism - Feudalism/Republic/Oligarchy are the other semi-early unlockable Government types).

These Governments all give unique bonuses to all of your cities, and last for a certain amount of turns based on your game speed. Each Government also has a unique Wonder that can only be built if the specific Government is active (ie the Apostolic Palace for the Theocracy Government).

When the Government expires, the process starts over again, only all the other Civ's (including your own) keep any culture points they've pooled towards a CR, so that everyone will eventually experience one regardless if they're playing a a heavy culture game or not. Also immediately after a Government expires, you'll have some malus points attributed to your Civ that slow down the process of pooling culture, just so there's no runaway situations revolving back-to-back-to-back Governments.

1 - Theocracy is overpowered since it gives a policy. Once I get it the only reason to take one of the other governments is to build a wonder.

2 - Is there any way of seeing which wonders are buildable with the governments. Right now I have to check to see if I have the tech required for the wonder, if the wonder is built and which government builds it.

3 - Can you make some way of building the government specific wonders without the building process ending when the government expires. It is a bit annoying to choose oligarchy twice to get the magna carta when my best city can build it in 1 turn more than the duration of the government. I've actually gone so far as to disband my entire happiness dependent army to to rush buy the production buildings I needed to finish a wonder before the government ends. The annoying bit was doing the math to see if it worked.

4 - You might want to consider including some malus' for each government while beefing up the benefits. e.g. -10% production when government x is active.

1 - Theocracy is overpowered since it gives a policy. Once I get it the only reason to take one of the other governments is to build a wonder.

2 - Is there any way of seeing which wonders are buildable with the governments. Right now I have to check to see if I have the tech required for the wonder, if the wonder is built and which government builds it.

3 - Can you make some way of building the government specific wonders without the building process ending when the government expires. It is a bit annoying to choose oligarchy twice to get the magna carta when my best city can build it in 1 turn more than the duration of the government. I've actually gone so far as to disband my entire happiness dependent army to to rush buy the production buildings I needed to finish a wonder before the government ends. The annoying bit was doing the math to see if it worked.

4 - You might want to consider including some malus' for each government while beefing up the benefits. e.g. -10% production when government x is active.

1) I find that interesting. :) I rarely go for Theocracy, but I generally play more of a culture game so policies come more frequently. I would be curious what others think about this.

2) Good point. This will be included on the Governments screen in a future update.

3) Its true that there is a bit of min-maxing going on here, (although Civ V could probably use a bit more of this), but there isnt any way around this currently.

4) Thought about this for a long time, it might still happen - having said that, I do like the open-endedness currently in place, and the malus effects are more in the form of your opportunity cost of choosing one policy over anothger. Will have to wait for the expansion to come out, as there are just too many new modifiers being introduced that would make any changes to policies at this point kind of pointless.

1) I find that interesting. :) I rarely go for Theocracy, but I generally play more of a culture game so policies come more frequently. I would be curious what others think about this.
i mainline culture, and barely bother with theology. republic, now... that's some abusively broken stuff!

i just always choose Oligarchy cos it practically almost doubles my gold in just a few turns :p
just wondering though how come none of them boost science?

Well, it seems my point is mute given the posts about other people taking other governments ALLWAYS. How about nerfing oligarchy and changing the effects of theology and republic to boosting faith growth by 100% and reducing the decline in relations with city states as well as a smaller boost in relations.

2) Good point. This will be included on the Governments screen in a future update.

3) Its true that there is a bit of min-maxing going on here, (although Civ V could probably use a bit more of this), but there isnt any way around this currently.

This could be fixed by making the government dependent wonders really really cheap and quick to build.

4) Thought about this for a long time, it might still happen - having said that, I do like the open-endedness currently in place, and the malus effects are more in the form of your opportunity cost of choosing one policy over anothger. Will have to wait for the expansion to come out, as there are just too many new modifiers being introduced that would make any changes to policies at this point kind of pointless.

Yeah, you make a good point there.

Top Bottom