• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

No copper.. hmm...

MrBanana

Prince
This website is the best site for civ5 info up to date. That's how know this stuff. http://well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html

ANyways, the point is that copper is no longer a strategic resources, and there is no axeman unit either. Small idfference overall, but for me, a warrior in classical age, I think it will affect the war in ancient period by a lot. Comments?

I just think it means rushes will be done with Warriors and Archers, and you won't have to keep restarting the game until you happen to get Copper in your starting city.

Warriors now have a strength of 6, and I think are quite capably of taking a city in numbers, even if it is defended by a few archers. Also, archers are now capable on offense, rather than being strictly defensive. So essentially, you can start cranking out Warriors from turn 1 if you really want to.

One of the things I'm excited about is the possibility of much more interesting combat in the ancient and classical eras, and much earlier.

With all the changes for strategic resources, i'm quite happy with having less different types of resources to keep track of. Copper is one of those things that I found were a game changer in civ 4 for me. If I had it within my borders when it was revealed, than it was 90% of the time predetermined that I would go for a conquest victory. If there was no easy copper, than I would always try to win with culture or spaceships.

Having no copper should allow me to keep my options open for longer as to how I approach trying to win.

In this case, I feel less is more, which it seems is a common theme in civ 5, and one I applaude. Complexity for the sake of complexity doesn't necessarily translate into fun.

It makes sense because you either got Iron or Copper anyway, preferably Iron. I am, however, sad about it, because searching for copper in the early game was very interesting. I guess with limited resources keeping track of iron is enough.

I just think it means rushes will be done with Warriors and Archers, and you won't have to keep restarting the game until you happen to get Copper in your starting city.

What? People do that? :eek:

I wondered the same thing. Maybe people do but don't admit it. Maybe it was only people too strategy-inflexible to do anything but a axeman-rush?

What will I use to speed construction of the Internet now?

Will it make you disappointed if I tell you what there are no Internet project now and you can't use resources to speed wonders up?

I've played plenty games where I had no copper, or iron for that matter, in my territory. I never have restarted a game myself for that reason, but then again Im not much of a warmonger :). That being said, I never really did get the point of copper, then iron right after. If there was no copper in civ 4, people would have just started their rushes one tech later. I'm glad to see it gone. If the Statue of Liberty is in V, least we know we dont need copper to build it! ;)

What? People do that? :eek:

I know i thought this was weird too! Finding resources (or taking them from an opponent) is half the fun!

I always liked the random quest where it tasks you with invading an enemy to take their resources - Awesome!

I know i thought this was weird too! Finding resources (or taking them from an opponent) is half the fun!

I always liked the random quest where it tasks you with invading an enemy to take their resources - Awesome!

I got that once for iron, because I had no copper or iron. The only offense i could make were warriors. Enemy has iron, I have warriors, who you think is gonna win?

I never get copper, I wait till I can get iron. If I have neither, then I go peacemonger.

You could also theoretically use a spearman rush.

So we'll jump from the Stoneage right into the Iron Age.

Dont like it how they discard a resource like Copper with its major role in History so easily.

Dont like it how they discard a resource like Copper with its major role in History so easily.

To be exact, to get bronze (for your axeman) you'd need copper and tin.

Who said anything about easily? They made a good case of why there are no axemen in the game anymore. With 1 UPT you don't need the fodder units. Given that there were only very few units that actually required copper, I don't see the huge distinction between copper and iron.

And welcome to CivFantics, Landiron.

civ4 extrapolated the assumption all civs would have access to tin and would smelt their bronze... Why can't civ5 run on the assumption that all civs have access to bronze and tin?

Spearmen (which are powerful and useful in civ5) come at bronze working and don't require a strategic resource from the map. Surely we can run on the assumption that bronze is simply far too common and just about every ancient army was able to supply their troops with it.

Spears are the new axe: They come at Bronze working, don't require iron, are stronger than warriors (by a mere 1 str, but still...) and are probably cheaper than swords too... In addition, unlike civ4 axes, they don't need to worry about mounted units. Honestly, I'm foreseeing the "axe rush" becoming a "spear rush".

Also, no; we don't go strait to iron ~ since we can only build as many swordsman as the Iron we have in our empire... Which means a decent portion of our ancient army may still be comprised of Spears (in addition to horses, archers, and catapults as you discover all of the military techs).

civ5 is about combined arms, and actually necessitates it, by the looks of things... Spamming 1 unit (the axe) isn't an interesting gameplay style. Regardless if anyone here did it; the axe due to it's advantages was easily the most versatile ancient unit and could be deployed to great effect by having an army almost entirely of them.

It is entirely seemly for a rival civilization to lie mangled by the bronze axe. In it's death all things appear fair.

Top Bottom