No-Wonder Kublai Khan do Immortal

Where I left off, I was planning to burn down a city, because there is a location further south with fish as a food source. I left off, because somebody might think it’s a bad idea.

I would definitely keep it. In general, attacking cities to raze them is not a great idea, as you are losing units for not much in return. I don't really understand the question, as the city doesn't kill the fish.

to Turn 82

All right, the Zulus are gone.

Spoiler :

upload_2020-5-27_20-29-7.png

upload_2020-5-27_20-29-26.png

upload_2020-5-27_20-29-40.png

I did not think I was supposed to wait for the city to grow to capture it intact. So a Settler will go out there eventually.

The economy is almost completely crashed. We are grinding our way towards Currency.

Attachments

• No Wonder Kublai Khan do Turn 82.CivBeyondSwordSave
    125.8 KB · Views: 29
Congratulations on your win!

WOW your power is 1.7 compared to Izzy! Go forward and smack her too with your veteran Axes. Taking a few cities will give you some much needed gold to reach key techs and soften her up for later if you don't finish her off.

Most likely, I could have saved several turns be being more efficient. Maybe it comes with more experience.

Spain? I don’t know how far away they are.

All those axes - worth keeping at 6 gpt?

Played quickly all the way to turn 114 (25 BC). Played kind of sloppy but I think I'm in a good position.

Spoiler :

Axepult was a success. Didn't even bother with Elephants because he has Impis plus somehow forgot that I needed HBR for that. Took nMung, Nobamba, and of course Ulundi all of which were settled in same locations as Harv's save I believe.

Economy is kind of a mess but less then Harv because I already have Currency to build Wealth plus Libraries in all of core cities means I'm running some Scientists. Badly need Workers though to improve land and got to disband some Warriors who cost me gold. Even 2 GPT is stupid to waste. I'm thinking of taking Shaka's peace offer as he's willing to pay through the nose to call the dogs off and I can just come back in 10 turns anyways while my troops take a barb city or two. I have a GS ready to bulb Philo right after this peace treaty and considering there is no religion on this continent, I should convert Izzy to Confu once I found it with Philo. Come to think of it until I get her to Friendly I might leave Shaka alive with one city so she will trade techs with me.

Attachments

• Kublai Khan BC-0025.CivBeyondSwordSave
    165 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
That is one of at least two problems I have right now. The Zulus are gone, so I cannot grab a whole bunch of free tech from them. However, I went Mathematics and Currency and not Alphabet. A couple of games ago with Napoleon, we grabbed a whole bunch of tech, just like you did.

The other problem you mentioned is the crashed economy. I think Currency is about 12 turns away.

Palace chopped into Mgungushakalalala will do wonders for your economy ;)

And yup you removed Shaka before thinking about that carefully, teching Alpha is much better than any other tech when Axe rushing and knowing only 1 other Civ (if they also have no Alpha).
Also you can build research for currency, if we take Karako as example: 12:hammers: into beakers.

Last edited:
You've kinda overbuilt axes, so I think you should use them now to take something from Isabella. Your city management could be improved quite a lot... Granaries first, and try to always get them up asap. Slow-building a worker in capital (has a granary) is horrible, should've whipped it immediately when available (whipping away marginal tiles: 4:hammers: and 1:food:3:hammers:1:commerce:).

I’m still not in slavery, so have not whipped anything. I don’t think capital is going to gain anything from a whip. The granary won’t do much for that city, maybe save a few turns going up to the next size. It was a place to dump hammers, but worker might have been better.

I was saving the change to slavery for a convenient turn when the war is over. It was probably a few turns ago. This turn might be okay, because we have a large gold expenditure for unit supply.

The axes - I find it hard to decide exactly how many are needed. 8 was probably not enough against Ulundi and that attack was pretty lucky. I think I lost less than average number of units.

Biggest issue might have been back at T55, research mathematics. I was thinking I was going to need construction. Alphabet might have been a better choice.

Ah, yes, you are not in slavery. In this case the granary is moot. You shouldn't build it unless you plan to grow or to fluctuate in size. Dumping some :hammers: into it is fine, but definitely should have switched to worker immediately at size 4.

I think I only whipped Karakorum once in my playthrough. The city grows too slowly to make whipping worthwhile. Beshbalik and Ning-hsia on the other hand... :hammer:

Played to turn 141 (620 AD). And I'm in pretty good position I think.

Spoiler :

Redeclared after the 10 turn peace treaty and Shaka is down to his last city and I should be capturing a lot of Workers too. War weariness is getting crazy but it's almost over. Gotta try and get a barb city up north before Izzy does.

Tech-wise doing well if not a bit behind where I should be. I'm popping a GS in 9 turns to bulb a big chunk of Education so I should easily win Liberalism. Thinking of grabbing Nationalism In the mean time as to not waste beaker from the bulb and then going for Mil Trad for Cuirassiers or maybe not because I still don't have Music. But either way Izzy doesn't even have Feudalism yet so I should have a solid window to attack her with whatever I choose. She ended up founded Christianity and spreading it to me so I converted. If she builds the AP, I could go for a cheesy diplomatic win with that but at this point I'm thinking about Domination.
Shaka's land is largely good but he put up some ridiculous improvements that I'm having to tear down like Farms on Flood Plains. I like my cities already with proper make up! :hammer:

Attachments

• Kublai Khan AD-0620.CivBeyondSwordSave
    198.3 KB · Views: 102
I have actually played this a bit a few weeks back. Economy completely crashed but I recovered this quite a bit in future saves.

Spoiler 660-1200ad :

Up to 18 cities and losing 13 gold a turn but in control and whipping/chopping CH's. Micro allows break even.

I used the Keshik but was late out door around 375bc I declared on Shaka. He had no metal. Took peace for techs. Then wiped out.

Have also taken 2 key cities of Spanish. Again took techs for peace. Now wiped out.

Now up to 24 cities at 1210ad. Not yet met other continent but grabbed lib for nationalism due to late date. Caravels are now out scouting.Can't see myself losing this as none of the AI will have 10 cities. Should be able to cap most AI by taking capitals.

Axes would of been quicker for Shaka but there is some decent land down south. My old capital was pretty poor. Size 14 in Shaka's old city.

Attachments

• Kublai Khan AD-0660.CivBeyondSwordSave
    201.1 KB · Views: 103
Kept on playing to turn 191 (1310 AD). Contains lots of spoilers about the other continent.

Spoiler :

The economy is doing ok but still not that well because a lot of Cottages that I put down haven't matured especially in former Zululand. And the bozos on the other continent are running Mercantilism despite knowing Economics. Douchebags denying me commerce! The tech situation is pretty good. Izzy is of course Friendly and I pulled a bunch of nice trades with her earlier. Now I have a Defensive Pact with her although the other continent doesn't know her yet so it probably doesn't matter.

My plan actually isn't to invade Izzy but that backwards bastard Suryavarman (he's also worth enemy of both Roosevelt and Wang Kon) with Rifles which will give me a foothold on the other continent. I don't even have to take the entire continent there and I could win a UN victory because Izzy will vote for me. Either way, the other continent is very divided on religious lines not a damn lovefest like in the Izzy game so it should be doable for sure if I play my diplomatic cards right. I could also smash Izzy with like tanks or something later. I haven't met Zara yet but I know he's the big dog in terms of land.

Is it a barrel of monkeys like my last game?

I won't open the spoiler, because I will revisit the game and I got caught up with.... stuff.... over the weekend. I was going to see what we look like if we research Alphabet instead of Mathematics, because it appears we could have had Alphabet at the time of my last save.

Is it a barrel of monkeys like my last game?

I won't open the spoiler, because I will revisit the game and I got caught up with.... stuff.... over the weekend. I was going to see what we look like if we research Alphabet instead of Mathematics, because it appears we could have had Alphabet at the time of my last save.

I think your game is going just fine. You could have had Alpha to trade techs with Spain before Shaka died but I think it's not a big deal. You have 1.7 times the power of Spain. You ought to declare war on Izzy and cripple her and get a bunch of techs in that peace treaty. The Axerush was definitely the right play here considering Shaka had no metal till after 1000 BC.

1842 Conquest Victory

Spoiler :

Attacked Sury and took 4 cities in 3 turns against his medieval junk and he capped. The important thing is I used these cities as a base to supply my troops on the continent. Then attacked Wang Kon and started smacking him took a city then Izzy made it interesting by backstabbing me the next turn. She was Friendly but hated my vassal Sury cuz he has a different religion and I'm sure she was bribed by Wang Kon because I had higher power than her as well and she gained Replacable Parts plus something else that turn. Anyways Wang capped after three turns and Izzy was on her own and started losing cities. She capped soon after. Then went after Roosevelt who offered the most resistance because he was a bit ahead in tech with Infantry but it was no problem. The war was a stalemate for a bit until reinforcements came. By that point I had massive stacks of Artillery and I lured his SOD into capturing Sury's city then decimated them and that was it. Then Zara was the only one left and he had Tanks and Bomber which I didn't but it's no big deal. I had a couple of Anti-Tank for stack protection plus lots of SAM Infantry cuz I went for Rocketry before Assembly Line.

And I also got... Fission

Softened the stacks with nukes then hit with Artillery and that was that. No one survives that kind of beating.

And then predictably...

All in all, this was a really fun game! A bit of a slog to finish but hey you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Attachments

• Kublai Khan - Danko AD-1842.CivBeyondSwordSave
    396.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Top Bottom