Nobles' Club CLXXIX - Qin Shi Huang

@Metaslab

Great win. Seeing you guys pulling it off, I am considering worker stealing in some of the next games.

it was sometimes possible to switch between the top-defender that would be faced by each unit by giving it Cover or Formation. A unit can attack an LB without scratching it, which is always really annoying.

Generally, even if you don't have cho-ko-nus, to ensure some damage to the top defender by switching targets as you have demonstrated, promote a unit along the drill line. First strikes are a better guarantee of some damage done, that is the only way I use that promotion.

First strikes are a better guarantee of some damage done, that is the only way I use that promotion.

I always strongly consider going down the Drill line with units having that possibility just because Drill III + IV help quite a bit when getting caught by collateral in enemy territory (plus it gives more XP in fights). Of course, if I could plan out everything accordingly I wouldn't get caught by collateral anyway...

shakabrade - thanks! Lucky with
Spoiler :
the late Oracle,
would have been much slower otherwise.

Workerstealing is great when it works, but it's bitten me on the ass before. Had a nasty protracted war with
Spoiler :
Justinian
in a Bismark NC a few months back, and yesterday I tried it on
Spoiler :
Genghis
in the Immortal Student game Takesitez has up and got pwned.

georgjorge - do you mean that a unit with Drill 3/4 will earn more XP from each battle? I don't see it mentioned here. Sorry if I misunderstood.

shakabrade - thanks! Lucky with
Spoiler :
the late Oracle,
would have been much slower otherwise.

Workerstealing is great when it works, but it's bitten me on the ass before. Had a nasty protracted war with
Spoiler :
Justinian
in a Bismark NC a few months back, and yesterday I tried it on
Spoiler :
Genghis
in the Immortal Student game Takesitez has up and got pwned.

georgjorge - do you mean that a unit with Drill 3/4 will earn more XP from each battle? I don't see it mentioned here. Sorry if I misunderstood.

You are yet to perfect the art of stealing and yet you managed! Bright future ahead.

Regarding drill promo, I believe that the game doesn't value it right when calculating odds and then you get the experience of lower odds battle (higher XP).

I have been playing Civ on and off for the past 15 or so years. However, I am a chronic saveloader. This means if I get an outcome I am not satisfied with, I just reload the game.

I'm trying to break this pattern now, and discover how I can really play better.

My experience with this particular game:

I played on Noble and Standard with huts and events both on.

Diplomatic Victory, 2000 AD.

In the beginning, I had some trouble deciding where to put my capital, and then where to put my other cities while keeping up competition with other civs for land and resources. In the end, I resorted to founding some 'filler' cities at suboptimal sites.

I was going to go for Cho-Ko-Nus and conquer Julius Caesar's cities, however he had Praetorians by then. I beat him using a mixed infantry force along with Cho-Ko-Nus and Catapults. Bismarck wardecced me along with JC so I went for him next. I had Musketmen by then.

While taking Bismarck's final remaining cities I got wardecced by Ragnar, whom Asoka had become a Vassal of. I focused on building up my industrial base (Forges, Factories) and conquered Bismarck. I then went for Asoka's cities. I noticed that my supply lines - unit wise - had become very long and tried to research Railroad ASAP to cut down on the time it took troops to get to the front.

Observations:

-The AI puts their cities in odd places at times. I saw a city surrounded by almost only ice and another one surrounded by almost only desert.
-I completely forgot about the +25% to defense when being attacked from across a river. This is one of the reasons why I had so much trouble taking Rome.
-Is it just me or do wars tend to become long, drawn out affairs? I was basically at war constantly from the time JC and Bismarck wardecced me. It seems that cities can be conquered faster through coasts than going through large land masses moving 1 square per turn through enemy territory.
-I have a tendency to just get a turn over with ASAP. Basically I click all of the popup lists away as soon as possible and put little thought into what I am actually building, researching or training. I need to be more focused and disciplined and think things through instead of clicking myself into oblivion.
-I had doubts with regards to which religion/at all to adopt. I decided to wait for Free Religion and declined all offers of converting to a specific one from other civ leaders, however only very few religions spread at all in this game.

Nothing wrong with re-loading unless you're using it to essentially 'cheat' with advanced knowledge of the map or pre-rolled combat results (or with the 'random seed on re-load' option selected to get different results). It's a good way to refine your game. It can help you identify mistakes you made and avoid repeating them.

Observations:

-The AI puts their cities in odd places at times. I saw a city surrounded by almost only ice and another one surrounded by almost only desert.
sometimes there are resources, later in the game they are just filling the land.

-I completely forgot about the +25% to defense when being attacked from across a river. This is one of the reasons why I had so much trouble taking Rome.
yea small differences matter, especially when it tips the defender just a little over your strength, then the chances get very loopsided.

-Is it just me or do wars tend to become long, drawn out affairs? I was basically at war constantly from the time JC and Bismarck wardecced me. It seems that cities can be conquered faster through coasts than going through large land masses moving 1 square per turn through enemy territory.
try a mounted warfare game, with horse archers, then cuirassiers (try to get to MT quickly). It's a lot of fun too.

-I have a tendency to just get a turn over with ASAP. Basically I click all of the popup lists away as soon as possible and put little thought into what I am actually building, researching or training. I need to be more focused and disciplined and think things through instead of clicking myself into oblivion.
yea that's not the most effective play.
But, this game is built in a way that you can just play it on a lower level like noble where you don't HAVE to be extremly effective and still have a lot of fun, that's the main thing :)

-I had doubts with regards to which religion/at all to adopt. I decided to wait for Free Religion and declined all offers of converting to a specific one from other civ leaders, however only very few religions spread at all in this game.
You can use religion to gain diplomatic benefits with some of the civs.
Being on good terms is important on higher levels, the 2 most important things are: not being attacked and trading techs, both which require certain attitude thresholds.

Hi guys!

Had a relaxing weekend and managed to play this one to finish!

IMMORTAL 1350 AD Conquest victory!

Spoiler :
SIP and teched straight for BW, the start needed it and maybe I could finde Bronze and harass one of my neighbors!
Met JC early.. so early that i managed to snag his worker.. little later i found Bronze close to my cap. So it was on! :D:spank:

A great start!

Milked for JC for workers with axes, and pillaging his tiles to keep my research rate up.

Oracled MC and, kind of just wanted to see if i could get the mids, with an early forge and a decent production city.. ended up loosing it to bismark.. but got 450 failgold! In retrospect the gold helped me more than the mids would! With the gold I easily, HA rushed JC, got his elephants.. and then got a kind of nice snowball/techball going.. so I always was far enough in millitary tech to crush my opponent without much truble.

The guys capilulated in this order:

JC (set him to 1 iceland city, capped him 1200 AD)
Bismark
America
Netherlands
Asoka
Vikings
Elizabeth

Great game! HAd a go at the NC 180.. but hm something about creative leaders i find boring! But thats just me :)

Love the NC series! So pleace you mapmakers! Keep the good ones rolling! :)

I also want to start record my games again.. had some issues with my recordings since win10 came along! Anyone have any experience with a stable recording software that works on win10 and Civ4?

Emperor marathon.

Conquest 170ad. What's a cho ko nu?

Attachments

• NC 179 Qin Shi Huang AD-0160.CivBeyondSwordSave
    269.9 KB · Views: 142
Played out a 1100ad conquest win.

Spoiler 1100ad conquest :

I started this game months back. Got to point where I took out Romans and Americans main cities early on while worker stealing from Germans.

I started plotting using the UU and whilst I was pushing for happiness techs I figured cuirs was quicker.

Got cuirs 580ad. Pretty much rolled over all the Ai. Probably could of shaved a turn or so off this. There comes to a point when you are beating down an AI's stack when if you just hit enter they would capitulate. Americans at end capitulated turn after I declared. I left them as I was worried it might stop the English capitulating. Also their power would of hindered rolling up the other AI.

Attachments

• NC 179 Qin Shi Huang AD-1100.CivBeyondSwordSave
    306.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Attachments

• NC 179 Qin Shi Huang AD-1790 AFTER VICTORY t268.CivBeyondSwordSave
    413.7 KB · Views: 142
Top Bottom