• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Nobles' Club CXXXIV: Pacal of the Mayans

@ohjames

Spoiler :
Oh yeah, there was very little in the way of war on this map. I basically just ignored Ramesses, with the exception of the occasional war bribe to the Ottomans to keep them busy. It was sad when I could finally trade maps that I learned Mehmed wasn't even on the same continent
. Could you post a screenie of your soon to be legendary cities? My two that weren't the capital were pretty ugly, IMO, so I'm curious to see where others would toss theirs.

1500AD:

Spoiler :
Wow, there are no warmongers on this map at all, huh? Mehmed has been plotting against me for a long time but because he was moving troops around with a single galley I had ample time to tech to Nationalism/Gunpowder and draft six muskets, which has set his planning back a lot. I am now in full culture mode, with a trickle of Representation science getting me up to Rifling to keep the Turks at bay. Asoka has a massive tech lead so I may be racing against a space victory now...

@ ohjames
Spoiler :
Isn't there a warmonger on every map- the player?

@themadfiddler:
Spoiler :
I settled up the river - there are three prime city spots. My first settler went to the cottage-spam area immediately NW so I could get cottages up; I put the third city up much later, and was on two cities very late. Once I got near the point of being able to build cathedrals I settled in three production sites E of the river.

As you can see, Mehmed has colonized to my W and is plotting against me. He's got some doom stacks of knights in galleons, so I am preparing with Rifles - I went Free Religion to secure a defensive pact with Sally, and Mehmed is in last place techwise, so I don't expect him to do all that well when he does declare.

I'm about 60-70 turns away from the cultural victory at this point. I would like to get Asoka and Ram up to pleased, so I may gift them so junk cities :D

Cultural victory, 1884AD (Emperor):

Spoiler :

Those three gold mines were just unbeatable. I ran them the entire game. I made some unnecessary research decisions in late game (Constitution for no reason, basically) which cost me about 8-10 turns on the victory. If I had been more proactive about spreading Judaism to Mehmed, and he had never warred on me, I would have won about 60 turns earlier.

Finally have some civ-time again! :woohoo:
And my oh my what a start! I have to play this! Textbook SiP with 2-hammer city, wet corn, perfect 7 FP's and 2 happy resources. Smells like great Bureau capitol. It doesn't get much better than this. And marble close by. Oracle? Surely.

Immortal Normal NHNE

2000 BC

Spoiler :
SiP'd, started with Agri & worker. This does look like a great future Bureau capitol, so first thing to do is setting up satellite cities to help developing it's cottages. 2nd city may not be the luckiest one, but I had to grab those gold tiles - and with chopped Monument will get food soon enough. Till then, it can work shared gold while building Monument & Granary. Settled turn after revolting to Slavery.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
T46 whipped settler in capitol, OF & chop into 3rd worker, finishing it in 1T. T48 settled on the marble - capitol will not be whipped very much, so it'll be OK to share it's corn for quite a while with 3rd city, which can work up to 4 shared cottages. And it gets marble instantly, thus saving ~7 worker turns which will be better used chopping & cottaging. Now that I see horses, it'll start with Monument & Granary, the same as 2nd city.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
I found few good fog-busting tiles, hopefully warriors will not get forced away from them until holkans can replace them. So next to do is to get few of those out while teching toward Oracle.

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    85.4 KB · Views: 55
1000 BC

Spoiler :
Continued as planned, in 3rd city Monument whip & chop finished Granary in 1T while double chopping Oracle in 2nd city. Finished it in 1560 BC and oracled MC.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Went for Writing - Alpha so I can start trading really early, instead of waiting for someone to get Alpha for next 500 years or more. Whipped some units into Libraries and chopped & whipped them as well. Started on 2 settlers here, but was forced to whip more units cause Ramesses built TGWall. All nearby area is well fog-busted, but swarms of barbs came from east.
Spoiler Barbs Killed: :
I delayed first trade until last moment (till Mehmed almost finished BW) and now I'll put some research into Sailing to trade Poly for it. Will try to do the same with CoL (for Alpha) when the time comes, as Ramesses researched it and converted to Conf. Just finished Math, next will be Currency. Sadly I'm still at 3 cities, but those 2 settlers will be out soon and with such a great commerce start I'll start REX-ing like never before. :lol:
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    119 KB · Views: 38
Emperor 25AD:

Spoiler :
Settled in place. My word, the commerce here.... :cool:
Researched agri -> bw -> wheel -> pottery
2nd city was 2cow/2gold sire. Got a fairly late Oracle (1240BC?) getting Civil Service :D Expanded some more, not as fast as I could've I'm sure. By 25AD I had 7 cities, and about 260bpt at 0% slider.
Also I...
- built the pyramids in my 3rd city
- had an academy in my capital
- built the great library in my capital
- won the music race
- researched as far as paper
- unlocked the Heroic Epic thanks to an all-conquering Phalanx
So yeah, things going quite well. Lymond (?) was right to say this is a good map to step up a level, but I fancied a fun romp on Emperor so that's what I'm doing. Next stop cuirs.

@ WelshGandalf:
Spoiler :
The all conquering phalanx?

I ran through this on monarch normal no huts. Got a disappointing 1840 space victory. Deleted all my saves in a fit of pique. Still haven't got a C18th space victory on monarch :cringe: :smoke: :thumbsdown:.

500 BC

Spoiler :
The trade I mentioned didn't work, Ramesses was researching Poly; so I researched Sailing on my own cause I needed it for my next 2 settles. Tehy started with Granary & Monument, respectively, and got them chopped shortly after. Got 10 xp chariot out of fighting barbs and started promoting it toward Great Medic.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Researched Currency - Aesthetics and traded for Monarchy, Mono & IW while working to get GScientist in Chichen Itza. Maybe I should've waited few turns to give them Aesth instead of Math, but I didn't want to wait & fail again. Traded Med for Mono few turns later while researching Literature.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Settled another satellite city in 575 BC and started on TGLibrary in capitol & Parthenon in Oracle city. Settled 7th city in 525 BC which instantly got a Monument. Researching Music.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Ramesses researched (or bulbed) Theo & Philo and got both religions. Now he has 3 and he's spreading some my way. I'm still fighting barbs and am leaving some areas in the dark for them to spawn on purpose to have some fun. :lol: Nearby units are waiting for their xp. I'll close eastern desert in few turns, after I deal with last wave and settle marked X between pig & stone. If Ramesses doesn't beat me to it.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
I know my settles are a bit off again, but if you look at my capitol only 3 tiles are not shared with other cities (overlap!). So capitol will work those 3 tiles all the time while other cities will work other tiles (cottages!). Academy will be built soon in capitol and Bureau is not that far away, so when the time comes to switch to Bureaucracy, capitol will take over already developed cottages (villages and/or towns!). This is how you set up Bureau capitol and why overlap is good. Well, some of my satellite cities could have been placed better, but I'm pretty happy with where they are cause they leave better spots for other cities.

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal BC-0500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    149.6 KB · Views: 39
200 AD

Spoiler :
I planned to stop & report at 1 AD, but that just flew by...

Got GScientist in 450 BC and built Academy. In 325 BC researched Music and got GArtist - he'll wait for now, it's still too early for GAge (too few and underdeveloped cities). That's why I decided to research Calender and try for MoM, while settling pig/stone.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 200 BC got TGLibrary in capitol and in 75 BC Parthenon in Lakamha while researching Feudalism. I'm avoiding techs known AI's have to get some trades, but that's not happening. Settled 9th city in 25 AD. Someone is wonder-whoring and it's not Ramesses. Nor me, I'll just get the good ones. :lol:
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
No trades yet, but at least I got some of Ramesses's fail-gold. In 100 AD he built the AP. Confu, the only religion I have. Perfect. Decided to research CS while waiting for MoM - got it in 175 AD and started GAge. Switched to HR & OR and converted to Confu.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Had too few workers whole game, so in anticipation of CS I whipped few of them with next batch of settlers. And now I'm getting last few warriors for future garrison (cheapest units!). Now both known AI's are at pleased, so I begged them for what they had, 50 gold (Mehmed) and 4 gpt (Rammy). I know I said I'll REX like never before but you can't do everything. 2 more cities will be settled next turn (northern X's) and 1 more in 2 turns (SE chariot, next to barb city). That will lock Rammy's settling toward me and if (haha, if...) someday I attack him, his only horses that I can see are close to pillage (between Byblos & Heliopolis) and ivory in Elephantine (appropriate).

After that I'll fill the rest of the land. Started on 'mids few turns ago, for some fail-gold, but now that I'm close to getting them I hope I do get'em. Although cities are now yet ready to support lots of specs, Bureau is coming in 4 turns and 'mids in 5, it'd be nice to switch to both Bureau & Rep in 5. After that, no idea. It'd be nice to meet other AI's for some trades and all.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal AD-0200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    192.2 KB · Views: 53
Dubioza - great work on all the screenshots. However
Spoiler :
You seem to have killed an awful lot of warriors - did you forget to add Archery for the barbarians?

Also nice work with growing your capital's cottages. Your capital's people must feel really safe with all those smaller towns guarding it :)

@pigswill
Spoiler :
Meh, generic unit that looks kinda like a spearman :p

As for my game... 1320AD update
Spoiler :
Got MilTrad with lib in 560AD or sometime around there. New record!
Got gunpowder, went into a golden age and built lots of cuirs. Only after the GA finished did I whip a few as well. Seemed a waste to whip away golden age super-powered tiles.
Declared on the Egyptians around 1040AD with 12-15 horseeeemen. They didn't last too long. I accepted their capitulation once I had kicked them off the mainland. As of 1320AD I am at war with Mehmed, have 3 of his cities and just destroyed his hoplessly obsolete stack. Poor guy has such terrible land.

I'm in State Property now, and rifling is about to be finished, so the Americans are going to eat some cavalry before long. I'll turn the slider down to raise cash for cav upgrades. Then I will tech more economic stuff like corporation, Biology, electricity and get another 1 or 2 golden ages.

After the Americans I suspect I'll have to invade the other landmass I think to reach the dom limit. Tedious! No-one's even at gunpowder yet. I've said it before, but sheesh the cottage potential of this land is immense. My capital has 115-ish commerce and the city to the northwest around 85.

@WelshGandalf Nope, I added barbs their techs. That's just how they came. Yes, there was 12 warriors but there was 12 archers & spears combined (7, 5) as well. :dunno:

Thanks for capitol's comment; I know it could've been done better (experienced players surely noticed) but lots of players have problems setting that up and accepting overlap (I know I had). This is a great map to try it and my example is decent enough to get you started. :)

tried this to 1k AD on monarch, but I think I crashed the economy wrong way

i will try different strategy and if I get sub 1800 space colony I will report.

the land though
Spoiler :

doesn't seem that great for space... you have not enough trade partners, no clear good site 2

you can't even get good spot for helping with cottages. and the area is kinda food poor.

My new strategy will be different, the first was settling 18 cities myself, no war, but I think I need to get good land from egypt, but for good finish date you basically have to get it in BC's...

so I think I will prepare HA rush even if the land doesn't call for it.

@ vranasm

Spoiler :
It may not be the best land ever for helper cities, but it's definitely doable. Good for training. Allocating FP's outside of capitol to few cities instead of putting all in one city works for me. And sharing corn.

800 AD

Spoiler :
Got GScientist in 225 AD - he could bulb Compass, but it'll wait for better things. Settled 2 northern cities and 2 turns later another one to deny the spot to Rammy. In 300 AD finished CS and traded for HbR. After some thinking as trades are really rare, I decided to go CoL, bulb Philo and go for Nat (even though Rammy already had CoL & Philo) to try to get Taj. Got 'mids in 325 AD and switched to Bureau & Rep.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 400 AD got GProphet, he'll wait for one more GPerson to get another GAge. Finished Nat in 540 AD and started on Paper - finished it in 620 AD. But I got 20% GEngineer and he's too good for GAge. Taj will be done in 8 turns on its own, so hurrying it is out as well. So I allocated 4-5 specs in city that's closest to get another GPerson out and timed it so it comes out 1 turn before Taj finishes.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Doing some binary on Education while I await GAge, so I'll be able to up the research slider in GAge. I replaced most of my busters with warriors and sent "barb-veterans" toward Rammy. Captured barb city next to Rammy - I should've razed it and settle 1E of it's current location to get the crabs, but I didn't have settler nearby, while Rammy had one. So I kept it. And I settled my west.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Not much was going on here, I grew my cities, spread some Confu, get temples and some basic infra, some fail-gold building and farming everything except capitol. Capitol without corn and with all cottages now has 92 commerce (NE is for fail-gold). 2nd city is 2T away from Taj, and 3rd 1T from another GPerson (Sistine Chapel...well, maybe I finish it, I already invested over 500 hammers in it in another city).
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
So in 780 AD I got another GEngineer (~36%). Oh well...with Taj 1T away I have to use it to get 25T GAge, I still have one in reserve.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Now is 800 AD, 2 settlers ready to settle in 1-2 turns and 1 more comes few turns later. Will still need 2 more on mainland and 2-3-4 for islands S & SW. I can't scout that area yet, loosing triremes vs galleys there...Education will be in in 3T, and although it'll be hard to choose which 6 cities will get Universities (most likely coastal ones), capitol deserves Oxford. Too bad I didn't set up northernmost city earlier, that's the best NE spot. Working on it. No clear HE site though...can't choose city for MoaiS either. Maybe I'll combine the two. Other than that, no idea yet which path to choose next. Lib? Astro? Lib what, MT? Or Steel? Health is an issue, maybe to go for Grocers? And even that won't be enough.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Notes:

Trade map with Mehmed!
Get some archers for future garrisons while still can!
Few workers before next wave of settlers!

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    233.8 KB · Views: 48
Still trying for space, on my thrd attempt....

Monarch normal hutfree 25ad.

@vranasm:
Spoiler :
My second attempt I HA rushed Egypt and eliminated Ram 800bc, problem was that this screwed up tech trading because I was alone with not friendly Ottomans.

Game so far.
Spoiler :
SIP. Second city went coastal for Glight, then cowgold. Now up to 8 cities, 2 settlers just built, got Glib, just finished CS, studying music atm.

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal temp.CivBeyondSwordSave
    145.6 KB · Views: 55
This is my second BTS game, but I played a decent ammount of Vanilla games. Settings are as follows: Monarch/Normal/NHNE

I am looking to improve my game, so any thoughts are appreciated! :D

Welcome to CivFanatics!:band:

This is my second BTS game, but I played a decent ammount of Vanilla games. Settings are as follows: Monarch/Normal/NHNE

I am looking to improve my game, so any thoughts are appreciated! :D

Spoiler :
I move the warrior NE, to see if there was anything worth settling east for. Ended up SIP'ing and started a 10 turn worker. Thought it would be fun to found a religion, given that we start with Mysticism and we have gold in the BFC. Immediatly switch to working the gold, once it was available and founded Buddhisme in Mutal in 3640 BC. Next research is on Agriculture, to get the corn up. Worker builds a mine on the gold in the meantime. Met the Egyptians in 3440 BC, they obviously came from the east. Next, TW>Pot>BW, to get some early cottages up and see if there's copper. In the meantime, the first settler comes in at 2400 BC. Question is: where to settle?. I also haven't converted to Buddhisme yet, thinking about converting just before founding the second city. Any ideas about that?

Welcome!

Spoiler :

I haven't played any religion first game for a long, long time. So, my question would be what is your plan given the religion? How do you normally do to utilize it to your advantage?

Top Bottom