Nobles' Club LXIII: Sitting Bull of the Native Americans

@ vranasm
Spoiler :
again thnx for your ridicilous fast reply
i don't know if it's clever but i like to use riverside grassland for farms to make a GP farm. in the city screen i clicked the emphasize buttons for what i'd like to specialice my city in. could you please check that too, so i have an idea of which tiles i need for which city.

really thnx again you're really helping me out! Great!

@luukdeman111
I made something different, i took your save and played it abit forward, placed some signs there.

Don't take it as best effort, because I played a bit in hurry and really didn't thought thinks through much :)
I dowed wash and frederick for settling city on MINE spot... would never do on higher level, I just wanted to get that spots, so you get the idea where to place cities.

It's at 400AD which is a lot and you lack some strong techs... if you have question feel free to ask what I meant with those marks.

edit:

that Mesa Verde city should be really 1W :-( I lost that way 3 hills...oh jesus...

@vranasm
I uploaded the save on the original post. I forgets!
Spoiler :
Yeah, the war is a little late. Have had plenty of opportunity to dow but I take a bit of time when it comes to war. Probably built a few unnecessary things to 'prepare' for the war, like waiting for ideal conditions that will never come. Washington has axes, swords and archers so I'm hoping I'll have sufficient force.

really thnx man! thanks for the efford. i'm gonna abandon this game i think because i did make some huge mistakes. but i'm going to try the previous NC game because retrying this one would mess up the exploration fun...

thnx anyway!!

@danelius

Spoiler :

I see there couple of beginners mistakes.

- don't work unimproved tiles
- if i work unimproved tiles and a lot of them I certainly didn't have enough workers or i missmanaged them

- I should get my tile improvements priority right. the northern city has 2 out of 3 food sources unimproved, food is your first target.
Working plain farms is inferior to working plains/grass hill, being big costs me money (you pay for every citizen some amount of gold), you should maximize tile yields. it's completely fine to run production city at size 7 with 5 worked hills for example.

- city placement could be better. out of 5 cities 4 lack river, which 1 was unavoidable, the other 3 would be much better at river.
Mesa Verde 1N - a lot of riverside grassland, pretty strong commerce site
Chaco canyon 1W or 1NW would be much better, you could help there grow 1 cottage for capital
Mound city 1W or 2W1N - both will have 6 yield tile(!! plains cow), the same mix of hills (3PH, 1GH), I would prefer the latter for river access.

- civics - okish...I am not sure if you should get OR up...as it seems you build up units, so it would be wasted, maybe later

- techs - you have kind of everything... I don't know how you went about it, but I think you probably selfteched everything? It's better to do some deeper beelines and backfill with trades, but on prince+noble you have to selftech much more, just remember it after you start playing Monarch/Emperor that there are AIs actually big boost of your tech rate

- diplo - you choosed side, there will be some shaka war soonish, just remember he has Impis as UU and loves them, your HA's will be toast

- the GA was certainly miss timed. I would settle both great spies. You should proactively hunt some GS, Mesa Verde in a lot of saves is the best spot for running scientists... :), you need academy in capital for later Bureau

Prince - Epic updated save and new comments in second spoiler :)

@vranasm
Spoiler :

Thanks for your input :)
I didn't see that many unimproved tiles being worked on the save. maybe I didn't notice them, but I know there were a few. I prioritised getting tiles improved when I played on. Oh, and regarding Mesa Verde - it has unimproved food because it only expanded that turn :)

Its funny, I literally never do plains farms. For some reason I suddenly thought I wanted to. Maybe for the small production :lol:- I haven't consciously thought about the maintenance cost from citizens, but now you mention it - doi! I guess its a beginner error that bigger city=better city. but these are all optimisations I hope to gain by doing the NC :)

Again, the city placement seems different to what I normally do. I like rivers, but I think I've been able to live without the health benefit because of the difficulty - actually no, when I build the unhealthy buildings, I'm gonna struggle. - ah damn levee. Literally just thought of that while writing this. Always forget.

IIR I traded for IW, sailing, and poly/mono/priesthood up to the time of that save. Traded a few more as I went on

Got loads of scientists after too. Academy was first, I settled the next as I was at a very low research rate, so academy in Chaco was of less benefit. Should have put the next scientist there, can't remember why I didn't because the economy is back up well now, and no academy in my commerce city :(

You can see my civics, but funnily enough again (but this time maybe a plus) I ran bureaucracy for what must be the first time ever :p

I don't use espionage that well, I have been improving lately though. But to settle another spy - for how I play - didn't seem as much use. I'm sure the advice you give is sound though ;) And when I get better will probably use that instead.

Read your comments on city placement, took a look at my cities and mesa verde should have been 1N, which is just what you said.
I can see why chaco 1W would have been better, at the time I was thinking it would have got in the way of Mound city a bit. But that doesn't really matter. Plus, if I'd placed Mound better, that wouldn't have been a problem. Knock on effect eh?
Taking your suggestions into consideration, yes I can see how they would benefit from those positions. I waste too much space that I can now no longer use effectively

Thank you again!

10AD ~ 1590AD
Spoiler :

Declared on Washington. Took 3 cities pretty easily. Stopped the war, still ok with me because of sharing hinduism. Looking at declaring on Augustus, but obviously its his UU time, but my HA got shock promotions to get past washington's spears :) or hammy. Cos he has the shrine!
Overexpanded a little again. I say a little, I mean I'm on 0% again. But able to pull out it seems.
Built The Great Library in 730AD so big wins.

Wow, asked Freddy for construction, and he was more than happy to oblige :) and the following turn, he voluntarily vassaled to me. No war or anything..

1090AD Captured Babylon, the hindu holy city only to realise - mr not-paying-attention - it has no shrine :lol:
Also had a "massive" barbarian uprising of 4 horse archers.

National epic went in capital with GLib, and got a GP from that city so built shrine

War on shaka, took load of cities. Thinking about declaring on Rome or America. Augustus has built a shed load of wonders...
Shaka eventually capitulated to me. Seems a bit sneaky, because everyone was at war with him.

Attachments

• NC Sitting Bull 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    272.7 KB · Views: 296
Prince - Epic
1590AD - End (1808AD)

Spoiler :

Augustus capitulated - I captured Rome before asking so I control all those wonders!
Washington is poorly defended. so my stack from the previous wars is going in :)
Freddy kindly took out the Babylonian's last 2 cities, and gifted me one :) gee, I like freddy
Washington capitulated - im on the verge of a conquest!
Decided to wipe out Ramesses instead of letting him live

So won a conquest victory, with my highest normalised score yet

and a pic of a great engineer I took
Spoiler :

I'll upload the save, if you would like to take a quick look and make any comments :)

@the Falcon
if you could upload a save, that would be helpful to identify your problem

Attachments

• NC Sitting Bull end.CivBeyondSwordSave
    323 KB · Views: 262

Attachments

• Sitting Bull BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    75.7 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Your unit has to have been for a whole turn in your cultural borders before an upgrade unit button appears?
You definitely have to be in your own borders, but not for a whole turn (i.e. you can move in and then upgrade if you have the movement)
Maybe the unit had no movement? Because I don't think you can in that case. Maybe that was it.
Or sometimes, if it wasn't available and now it is, you may need to select a different unit and come back. Like if you have state property and want to found a corp, its box will be greyed out - if you switch civics (say you're spiritual) you can now found it, but the box will still be grey until you reselect it.

but I suspect it may be the first one, no movement.

by the way, I couldn't load your save... what mods/patch you using?
mine came up with an error mentioning Bug_4.4 :hmm:

for forum games it's better when you use bug in single player mode, that way the game doesn't need the mod to load, but you have full functionality of bug

Attachments

• Sitting Bull BC-0960.CivBeyondSwordSave
    87 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
@falcon

If I remember correctly there should be some "setup" exe file from BUG team. That allows you to choose the regime you want, try to look around for it.

to your save

Spoiler :

watch out for Shaka, I think you will soon find out that 1 archer/city is not the right answer when you have shaka as neighbor (even if he is behind some other AI's).

you missed 2 great spots, that should be (in my mind) settled before the south. And that is the 4x cow+stone spot - big production site.
and to the north there is spot with 3 food and many hills and many riverside - this actually is so good spot that you would want ideally split so many resources to at least 2-3 cities, but to our bad they are placed the way there is almost no way how to split the land inteligentely.

btw me and drlake both got Mids on Emperor with the stone city. So I think you are too pesimistic on this one.

Top Bottom