Normal difficulty with no (dis)advantages

zeta

Mod Addict
Hey,

So... Settler difficulty says in-game that AI is in a little disadvantage and Chieftain says that AI has some advantages. Is it possible to make Chieftain or some other difficulty so that AI and players are on the same level with no buffs, nerfs etc.? Like vanilla Prince.

They are on the same level with Settler difficulty. AI doesn't get any bonuses and neither do you, so ignore what description says, because it needs to be re-written.

Didn't we settle (pun not intended) for Settler to be the "slightly easier" difficulty, and Chieftain to be the neutral, non-buffs or disavantages one?

Didn't we settle (pun not intended) for Settler to be the "slightly easier" difficulty, and Chieftain to be the neutral, non-buffs or disavantages one?

I thought that too, but it still says in-game that AI has slight advantages on Chieftain.

As I said description in-game is incorrect ... directly from unified changelog:

Difficulties ramped up, removing the below-Prince difficulty levels. Settler is now the equivalent of vanilla Prince, Chieftain - of vanilla King, etc.

You can always just play on Deity and pretend that it's the only difficulty setting. That's what I do. If you don't know the game can be easier, then hard stuff is easy. Or to put it another way: Dark Souls games are notorious for being very hard. If they had a super-easy mode, the game wouldn't be very popular, and nobody would try out the harder modes (very few). There's probably some profound quote somewhere about how you learn more from defeat than from victory. :) (however, playing on settler is fine, I did it for years on the earlier civs :))

You can always just play on Deity and pretend that it's the only difficulty setting. That's what I do. If you don't know the game can be easier, then hard stuff is easy. Or to put it another way: Dark Souls games are notorious for being very hard. If they had a super-easy mode, the game wouldn't be very popular, and nobody would try out the harder modes (very few). There's probably some profound quote somewhere about how you learn more from defeat than from victory. :) (however, playing on settler is fine, I did it for years on the earlier civs :))

Carpet of Doom, even slower turns and almost no wonders - no thank you.
The Game is more difficult, sure, but less fun to play aswell - for me at least.

Balance Changes\Difficulty\DifficultyMod.xml has all the difficulty changes.

On Settler, the human actually starts with 8 happiness while the AI always starts with 7. I also think the AI gets slower workers than the player and the player gets a 50% barbarian bonus while the AI only gets 30%.

On Chieftain, the human starts with 6 happiness. The barbarian bonuses are dead equal (40%). They get a 5% discount on units and buildings, and 5 free XP.

The difficulty *descriptions* are actually in the SQL file of the same name.

Note that because of how the difficulties are shifted like this, the easy difficulties are harder while the harder difficulties are easier (at least in terms of AI bonuses). The CBP Deity AI has roughly double the unhappiness that the Vanilla Deity AI does.

There's probably some profound quote somewhere about how you learn more from defeat than from victory.
That's like saying someone learning piano should just start trying to play Rachmaninov until they get it right. There is a difference between conquering your mistakes and learning how to actually do things the right way.

Civilization is a game of knowledge and losing without knowing what you're doing wrong (which is what happens when you play a difficulty much higher than your level) really doesn't teaches you anything, it just teaches you that what you're doing is wrong, but not what is the right thing to do. Plus it's really unfun.

I preffer to slowly climb up difficulties so that I am more aware of what things are different each step of the way and what choices I have been previously making become sub-par.

You make a good point Wodhann, though I do still believe that both methods can be viable on their own right. In fact, in this mod (and vanilla), Deity can actually be easier in some regards for the human player.

Deity pros:
  • AI is still limited, can be predictable
  • AI has more money. You can actually sell luxuries for cash!
  • AI has happiness penalties at high difficulty, none at lower ones (cpp mod only)
  • You get to learn that Deity is one those "I before E but only sometimes like neighbor and weigh"
Deity cons:
  • Some people pronounce it "dee-a-tee" which nullifies the "neighbor and weigh" rule
:goodjob:

You make a good point Wodhann, though I do still believe that both methods can be viable on their own right. In fact, in this mod (and vanilla), Deity can actually be easier in some regards for the human player.

Deity pros:
  • AI is still limited, can be predictable
  • AI has more money. You can actually sell luxuries for cash!
  • AI has happiness penalties at high difficulty, none at lower ones (cpp mod only)
  • You get to learn that Deity is one those "I before E but only sometimes like neighbor and weigh"
Deity cons:
  • Some people pronounce it "dee-a-tee" which nullifies the "neighbor and weigh" rule
:goodjob:
Everyone knows that the correct way to pronounce Deity is Dai-yeti, just listen to Ramesses.

Top Bottom