Norway First Look Video

Anglo-mania is like a single grain of sand in the Sahara desert that is Norwegian Madness!

Attachments

• OH YEAH BROTHER.jpg
    OH YEAH BROTHER.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 124
Interesting civ. Not my playstyle, but certainly well-designed. But is it my imagination or is Firaxis allergic to light hair? Pedro II had blondish auburn hair: black hair. Philip II had dirty blond hair: dark brown. Snorri Sturluson describes Harald Hardrada as fair-haired: light brown. His design looks pretty good, though I'm surprised he's wearing scale armor rather than chainmail, which is pretty strongly associated with the Vikings...

Okay, I figured out how to synergize the Stave Church with the rest of the uniques.

The Stave Church comes at Theology, the same Civic as Theocracy. Theocracy allows you to buy units with Faith.

So position your Holy Sites near Woods, because eventually (Medieval Era) you will get the Stave Church to bump up your Faith output and it will be timed just right for you to adopt Theocracy and buy units with Faith.

So slay your foes in the name of Odin!

I thought about this but it doesn't seem like it would be a substantial enough bonus. I hope I'm underestimating it. I distinctly remember Ed Beach using the Celts in the BNW preview as an example civ that could take advantage of buying armies with faith, so you are definitely on to something.

Are unique buildings half price just like unique districts? Would make sense IMO. If that is the case then Norway becomes little bit stronger. Stave church works well with theocracy.

I also dont think Norway is that horrible even on Pangaea. They should build large coastal empire that they can protect. Then on later eras continue to conquer inland if they are going for domination.

I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but this might be interesting: the capital of Norway is neither Oslo nor Trondheim!

It's almost certainly Nidaros because that was Haralds historical capital. (and yes, Nidaros is technically the same city as Trondheim, but it's not the same name, so the devs could deny it's Trondheim without actually lying.)

If isn't Nidaros, the only other option is Bergen/Bjorgvin (although, mind, that city was founded by Harald's son AFTER his death, so I doubt it.)

Am I the only one here who is not really comfortable with this new pillaging mechanic? I personally just found it better when I raided with my berserkers in Civ 5 and then continued into the enemy's territory; but who knows, maybe it'll force me to play another way of rampage as these guys :D

Am I the only one here who is not really comfortable with this new pillaging mechanic? I personally just found it better when I raided with my berserkers in Civ 5 and then continued into the enemy's territory; but who knows, maybe it'll force me to play another way of rampage as these guys :D

What you mean with new pillaging mechanic? I dont really understand. Berserkers still pillage pretty much the same way as before. Pillaging costs 1 less Movement for them.

It's almost certainly Nidaros because that was Haralds historical capital. (and yes, Nidaros is technically the same city as Trondheim, but it's not the same name, so the devs could deny it's Trondheim without actually lying.)

If isn't Nidaros, the only other option is Bergen/Bjorgvin (although, mind, that city was founded by Harald's son AFTER his death, so I doubt it.)

It's Nidaros in the live stream.

Norway's embark bonus should also be more important given how hard it is to traverse land tiles now with the movement restrictions. Being able to embark and cross ocean means you can beeline somewhere super quickly. That's a major plus, particularly if you want to settle/support a city a long ways away. Even on a large landmass, being able to fly around the coast and avoid the inland territory could be a big asset.

Norway's civ UA is titled "Knarr" per the live stream. A knarr was a Viking merchant ship, so I'm not sure that fits the belligerent UA of the Norwegians, but ok.

I hope this means not that there will not have a futur Polynesian civ ...

Embarcation and Moais were the coolest part of Polynesia, now that the early embarcation is taken, perhaps Rapa Nui could be a CS that lets you build Moais.

or

we could get a diferent take on a Polynesian civ later on, now that space is needed for tall cities, perhaps the next polynesian civ could get a way to utilize sea tiles better, who knows, I wouldn't discount them completely.

Think I would have preferred the red and blue to be inversed for Norway. This gives me more of an Iceland vibe...

Finally! Thanks the gods, a proper Viking civ. I finally have my favorite civ in VI... Very pleased indeed.

Norway's civ UA is titled "Knarr" per the live stream. A knarr was a Viking merchant ship, so I'm not sure that fits the belligerent UA of the Norwegians, but ok.

Wikipedia tells us that: "Knarr is the Old Norse term for a type of ship built for long sea voyages and used during the Viking expansion."

I guess it fits pretty well.

Pillaging is going to be substantially stronger in VI than it was in V, because of buildings being outside of the city, and because you get bonuses for pillaging districts that you wouldn't get in V. I think raiding with berserkers in VI and advancing to enemy territory is going to be really powerful in VI. Just retreat if there's a big military coming towards you, and use your mobility and naval might to your advantage. A civilization with a lot of costal tiles and a weak navy is going to have a hard time fighting Norway.

Top Bottom