Norway First Look Video

Additional Standard Adjacency bonus. We know exactly what that means, no?

Right. Didn't figured that out before. So it's this one then:
Code:
HOLY SITE
District
Base Cost: 60 Production
Maintenance: 1 Gold
A district in your city for religious worship.

Adjacency: 
Major Faith bonus for adjacent natural wonders. 
[B]Standard Faith bonus for each adjacent Mountain tile. [/B]
Minor Faith bonus for adjacent district tiles and unimproved Woods tiles. 

+1 Great Prophet point per turn
+2 Faith from each adjacent natural wonder.
[B]+1 Faith for each adjacent Grassland (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Plains (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Desert (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Tundra (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Snow (Mountain)[/B]
[I]+1 Faith for every 2 adjacent Wood tiles[/I]
+1 Faith for every 2 adjacent district tiles

Citizen Yields (per citizen): +2 Faith

Notice the line in italics, there's already a Wood bonus.
So.. if their holy site is near 1 Woods and 1 Mountain, they will get +2+1= +3 Faith?

Can't you put more than one building in the district?

Yeah, but so what? The district produces faith. It gets more faith for adjacency.

The buildings produce faith. They are in the same tile, so if they got faith for adjacency, they'd make more faith.

District adjacency adds to the district's production, not to EACH building's production.

Right. Didn't figured that out before. So it's this one then:
Code:
HOLY SITE
District
Base Cost: 60 Production
A district in your city for religious worship.

Adjacency: 
Major Faith bonus for adjacent natural wonders. 
[B]Standard Faith bonus for each adjacent Mountain tile. [/B]
Minor Faith bonus for adjacent district tiles and unimproved Woods tiles. 

+1 Great Prophet point per turn
+2 Faith from each adjacent natural wonder.
[B]+1 Faith for each adjacent Grassland (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Plains (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Desert (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Tundra (Mountain)
+1 Faith for each adjacent Snow (Mountain)[/B]
[I]+1 Faith for every 2 adjacent Wood tiles[/I]
+1 Faith for every 2 adjacent district tiles

Citizen Yields (per citizen): +2 Faith

Notice the line in italics, there's already a Wood bonus.
So.. if their holy site is near 1 Woods and 1 Mountain, they will get +2+1= +3 Faith?

No, they'd get +2. The bonus is +1 (mountain) +1 (Woods from Stave Church), and the district's +1 per TWO Woods doesn't apply.

If it were adjacent to 2 Woods and 1 Mountain, then it would get +4 Faith. +2 faith from the Woods (Stave Church), +1 from the 2 Woods (Holy Site), +1 from the Mountain (Holy Site).

Can't you put more than one building in the district?

Different building. In Holy site you could build 1 Shrine, 1 Temple (Stave Church) and 1 building defined by Worship believe. You can't have more than 1 Stave Church in a single district.

No, they'd get +2. The bonus is +1 (mountain) +1 (Woods from Stave Church), and the district's +1 per TWO Woods doesn't apply.

If it were adjacent to 2 Woods and 1 Mountain, then it would get +4 Faith. +2 faith from the Woods (Stave Church), +1 from the 2 Woods (Holy Site), +1 from the Mountain (Holy Site).

Just to add here, the second example with 2 Woods and 1 Mountain, prior to the Stave Church, it would have been +2 bonus (+1 from 2 Woods, +1 from Mountain), just in case that wasn't clear.

Different building. In Holy site you could build 1 Shrine, 1 Temple (Stave Church) and 1 building defined by Worship believe. You can't have more than 1 Stave Church in a single district.

Oh, is THAT what the confusion was about? My bad.

You can build exactly 1 of each building in a district, and exactly 1 of each district (except neighborhoods) in a city.

Just to add here, the second example with 2 Woods and 1 Mountain, prior to the Stave Church, it would have been +2 bonus (+1 from 2 Woods, +1 from Mountain), just in case that wasn't clear.

Right. Its a plenty good bonus, but it certainly seems less exciting than it could be. Most importantly, it means you can all-in your Holy Sites to Wooded areas, and then use the Mountain ranges for Campuses.

Here's another one, the tooltips for Viking Longship

Code:
[B]VIKING LONGSHIP[/B]
Unit (replaces Galley) 
Promotion Class: Naval Raider
Base Cost: 65 Production

Norwegian unique naval unit that replaces the Galley. 
Can pillage enemy coastal lands and capture civilians if adjacent using its coastal raiding ability. 
Can heal in neutral territory.

Melee Strength: 30
Movement: 3

Right. Its a plenty good bonus, but it certainly seems less exciting than it could be. Most importantly, it means you can all-in your Holy Sites to Wooded areas, and then use the Mountain ranges for Campuses.

Yes, so you could have a +3 adjacency bonus go to +6. Which still doesn't seem very exciting, and it locks down 6 woods tiles to never be improved, which seems even less exciting. All in all, I think the church is kind of weird anyways. You have this civ that is pretty much all in across the board for naval conquest, coastal raiding and such, and this lone oddball religious building. I know there is synergy between religion and warmongering, but I think they could have found something that fits their theme better than a temple upgrade for Norway. How about an improved lighthouse, or barracks, something either water related or warmonger related.

Normally you want to use mountains for both Campuses and Holy Sites as they give minor bonuses to each other.

Capture civilians? Nice.

Also, it's interesting what the land pillage is both leader and unit ability. So if you'll be able to get those longships somehow (privateers?), you'll be able to pillage land from sea with them.

Yes, so you could have a +3 adjacency bonus go to +6. Which still doesn't seem very exciting, and it locks down 6 woods tiles to never be improved, which seems even less exciting. All in all, I think the church is kind of weird anyways. You have this civ that is pretty much all in across the board for naval conquest, coastal raiding and such, and this lone oddball religious building. I know there is synergy between religion and warmongering, but I think they could have found something that fits their theme better than a temple upgrade for Norway. How about an improved lighthouse, or barracks, something either water related or warmonger related.

That would be making a +3 adjacency going to a +9, actually. It goes back down to +6 if you improve the Woods (Stave Church doesnt say anything about the Woods needing to be unimproved).

I like that the Stave Church allows Norway to do something different. All-in on one strategy is usually boring. However, the Stave Church itself could be more interesting.

Normally you want to use mountains for both Campuses and Holy Sites as they give minor bonuses to each other.

I was pointing out that the absolute best spots, the corners in mountain ranges, cannot have both Campuses and Holy Sites.

And minor bonuses aren't that big of a deal. Buildings themselves are just as good if not better. Every bit helps, of course.

Wow. Didn't expected they will reveal all the unique of Norway in one session.
Code:
[B]BERSERKER[/B]
Promotion Class: Melee
Base Cost: 180 Production

Norwegian unique unit. It costs one Movement to pillage.
+7 Combat Strength when attacking and -7 Combat Strength when defending.

Melee Strength: 40
Movement: 2

Code:
[B]VIKING LONGSHIP[/B]
Unit (replaces Galley) 
Promotion Class: Naval Raider
Base Cost: 65 Production

Norwegian unique naval unit that replaces the Galley. 
Can pillage enemy coastal lands and capture civilians if adjacent using its coastal raiding ability. 
Can heal in neutral territory.

Melee Strength: 30
Movement: 3

Wow ! Capture civilians with coastal raiding ability ? That seems very strong to me !

Really like this Civ, but I'm not as much in awe of them as many people seem to be.

I think they'll be a lot of fun to play on a continent map, and might just be OP on a archipelago map...

Here's to hoping that Pangea will stop being the preferred map type in CIV VI ;)

That would be making a +3 adjacency going to a +9, actually. It goes back down to +6 if you improve the Woods (Stave Church doesnt say anything about the Woods needing to be unimproved).

I like that the Stave Church allows Norway to do something different. All-in on one strategy is usually boring. However, the Stave Church itself could be more interesting.

I was pointing out that the absolute best spots, the corners in mountain ranges, cannot have both Campuses and Holy Sites.

And minor bonuses aren't that big of a deal. Buildings themselves are just as good if not better. Every bit helps, of course.

Yes, aside from the loose comparisons to the Celts, nothing has indicated that the Woods need to be unimproved.

It works both ways, though. If Norway builds Holy Sites near forests, initially they have only minor bonuses from it. And "initially" means for the period where all religions are founded.

Yes, aside from the loose comparisons to the Celts, nothing has indicated that the Woods need to be unimproved.

If I remember correctly, no adjacency bonuses work with improved forests or rainforests. I could be wrong, though.

If you look at Atlas post regarding the district, it specifically states, "Minor Faith bonus for adjacent district tiles and unimproved Woods tiles." [emphasis added].

The Stave Church say that it is the holy district that get the extra adjacency bonus so for stave Church to work it need unimproved wood tiles.

It is pretty good because you do not need to invest citizens for the stave church to work and the stave church do not have any weakness over the temple (unlike for example the hands who do lack mine adjacency bonus) so at worst you get a temple and at best you get more faith per church then Indian unique ability without using any citizens.

So, let's face it. Stave Church is the weakest unique we've seen so far and is not connected to the rest of the Norway.

I wonder, why they didn't give a discount to buy unit with Faith instead.

Free stuff tends to be pretty good and stave church come with no disadvantages over the temple and need no citizens investment unlike unique improvements. To me it look to be very strong.

Free stuff tends to be pretty good and stave church come with no disadvantages over the temple and need no citizens investment unlike unique improvements. To me it look to be very strong.

Other unique buildings provide some great stuff, like Electronics Factory giving culture AND increasing the factory bonuses range. And unique districts are just much-much better than this.

I imagine in 1/3 of the game Norway will not build a single Stave Church at all.

Electronic factories comes with a later tech so Japan will most likely have to wait longer before it can build it compared to Norway stave church so electronic factory need to be a better improvement over it base building to make up for the long wait for it.

About the unique districts: The main advantage they seem to have is that they cost only half as much (and may not increase districts cost). Street carnival allow a unique project but taht is not free. Hansa come with a different set of adjacency bonuses which may sometimes be a disadvantage over the normal industrial district. Royal Dockyard give one movement (do not know how useful it will be) and sometimes +2 gold per turn. So I would not say that unique districts are better then the stave church.

Top Bottom