1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Caring For the New Leaders

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AtlantisAuthor, Dec 25, 2016.

?

Which game's Leaders, screens, and animations do you prefer, Civ V or Civ VI?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2017.
  1. Civ V

46 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Civ VI

51 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. kamex

kamex Emperor

I fall on both sides of the fence. I feel the familiar faces are really important for nostalgia, but also we need new ones to freshen things up. Now that we have multiple leaders confirmed for VI, I am almost certain that eventually, the classics such as Alexander, Catherine, Elizabeth and Napoleon will be added to the game at some point...

2. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Actually, what I am extremely surprised (and pleased) about, is the subtle inclusion of a lot of interesting famous women as Great People. It might not be as obvious since so many of the names are not immediately recognizable.

Great Generals (6 out of 21):

1. Boudicca (Classical)
    2. Aethelflaed (Medieval)
    3. Ana Nzinga (Renaissance)
    4. Jeanne d'Arc (Renaissance)
    5. Rani Lakshmibai (Industrial)
    6. Marina Raskova (Modern)

Great Admirals (4 out of 19):

1. Artemisia (Classical)
    2. Ching Shih (Industrial)
    3. Laskarina Bouboulina (Industrial)
    4. Grace Hopper (Atomic)

Great Engineers (2 out of 18):

1. Ada Lovelace (Industrial)
    2. Jane Drew (Atomic)

Great Merchants (6 out of 21):

1. Irene of Athens (Medieval)
    2. Sarah Breedlove, aka Madam CJ Walker (Modern)
    3. Mary Katherine Goddard (Modern)
    4. Helena Rubinstein (Atomic)
    5. Melitta Benz (Atomic)
    6. Estee Lauder (Information)

Great Prophets (0 out of 16!!!)

Great Scientists (6 out of 21)

1. Hypatia (Classical)
    2. Hildegard of Bingen (Medieval)
    3. Emilie Du Chatelat (Renaissance)
    4. Janaki Ammal (Atomic)
    5. Mary Leakey (Atomic)
    6. Stephanie Kwolek (Information)

Great Writers (6 out of 25)

1. Murasaki Shikibu (Medieval)
    2. Margaret Cavendish (Renaissance)
    3. Marie-Catherine d'Aulnoy (Renaissance)
    4. Jane Austen (Industrial)
    5. Mary Shelley (Industrial)
    6. Emily Dickinson (Modern)

Great Artists (6 out of 20)

1. Sofonisba Anguissola (Modern)
    2. Angelica Kauffman (Modern)
    3. Edmonia Lewis (Atomic)
    4. Marie-Anne Collot (Atomic)
    5. Amrita Sher-Gil (Information)
    6. Mary Cassatt (Information)

Great Musicians (3 out of 16)

1. Lili'uokalani (Atomic)
    2. Clara Schumann (Atomic)
    3. Gauhar Jaan (Information)

In terms of actual numbers, it is still far from parity. But I do like the inclusion of a lot of figures that people might not otherwise know about. Also, there is a nice attempt to include non-Western figures as well!

whyidie likes this.
  3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Civ V leaders were fresh in many ways. Harun al Rashid instead of Saladin, Maria Theresa of Austria, Enrico Dandolo of Venice, Ashurbanipal of Assyria....Civ VI hasn't gotten there diversity wise though it's trying (with the introduction of women). It's very behind on African and Native American representation vis a vis Civ V vanilla though, and the leader screens are disappointing due to the muted backgrounds (noticeably, first look backgrounds for the leaders looked clearer and better than the backgrounds in the game). The animations, while nice, don't have transitory animations like they had in V.....and the lines are greatly reduced (down to 7). Not pleased overall that they cut so many assets for VI.

4. InvisibleStalke

InvisibleStalke Emperor

I agree - the leaders seem like the B list - to be a leader in civ it should be one of the most iconic leaders of that civilization in history. Someone who made a huge impact in the course of that nations destiny or on the world stage.

I want to defeat the armies of Napolean, Julius Caesar and Alexanded the great, not their lesser known cousins.

5. HeliosDisciple

HeliosDisciple Warlord

Greece's Macedonian-born Alexander

6. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I much prefer the Civ VI leaders over Civ V. While I hear you on the argument about not using as many familiar names, it hasn't bothered me as much to learn about the new ones. The only thing I agree with you on is the dark backgrounds which are depressing.

7. Liquid Egg Product

Liquid Egg Product Chieftain

To me, the Civ 6 leaders do accomplish one of Firaxis' stated goals...giving the leaders "big" personalities and memorable lines. Philip's raging with his rapier. Barbarossa's introducing himself by trying to remember all the lands he rules. Da Medici's saying to your face that she's going to dig up all your secrets. Tokimune's pseudo-surprise and pseudo-pity when you decline one of his offers.

Not all the leaders are amazing, but there are some animations and speeches that I never skip, just because they have so much flavor.

Overall, I didn't find the Civ 5 leaders quite as engaging.

8. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

Alas, the new leader screens are objectively inferior to those from Civ V. The animated backgrounds are gone, instead we get a glimpse of a painting and a whole lot of black. It tells us nothing about the civ. A shame. No clue why they would do this, other than to cut costs. Then there's the animations that don't flow into each other, instead fading to black after every scene. It looks ugly, takes away any kind of immersion you might have had, and actually slows down the game too. Well done. The leaders don't speak much either. Why do they even bother looking for voice actors if they're only gonna have them say 6 lines? Civ V's leaders talked a lot. They even had different lines depending on their opinion of you. Gave them some character. Again, no clue why they'd skimp on this. If you're gonna do such a half-baked job, you might as well not do any leader screens at all and go back to Civ IV's system. At least there'd be the argument of speeding up gameplay and all that.

Galbias, sonicmyst and johnnybaseball like this.
  9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Don't forget Queen Victoria's hissy fit and her slapping you with her fan.

10. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

One problem is the leaders they chose seem to be poorly represented in-game for the most part. For example: Harald Hardrada was a Christian, yet at every available opportunity he speaks of Norse gods or Valhalla. They could have renamed him Ragnar Lodbrok and given him the exact same abilities for more thematic coherence. Once leaders become less prone to automatically declaring war on their neighbors, then perhaps we can see the AI as distinct personalities rather than just slightly differently flavored psychopaths.

11. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I'd comment on this but for whatever reason the leader audio has never worked in my version, even following patches and after checking settings (there doesn't seem to be one that turns them on or off).

12. volleyballguy7

volleyballguy7 Chieftain

Have to say I'm split on the issue. I initially didn't like the cartoony animation, but have to admit it has grown on me. I do wish the backgrounds were a bit more clear so you get the leader's cultural flavour like in Civilization V. I am not as concerned with the leaders being specific people, some of the choices seemed odd, but I don't mind they've tried different historical figures. One thing I don't like is some of their screens where they talk about their primary objective, it was helpful the first game, but now it's just something I quickly hit Esc and try to continue.

13. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

I like both leader screens (Civ V and VI) but I think the style of leader screens in VI made us focus on the leaders and their animations instead of their muted backgrounds (blurred, oil-painted backdrops with parallax effect). My only wish for improvement is the transition between the dialogues. The transition in V is much better.

As for the list of leaders, I have no complain. It is refreshing to see new leaders than look at the same list of leaders. Anyway, I believe some of Civ V famous leaders can come back as DLC if there are clamor about it.

14. Esperr

Esperr King

You think the modern republic has anything to do with ancient macedon or that anybody in 4th century BC referred to themselves as Greek? By those standards none of the leaders would rule any nation in civ. Nationalism is pretty recent.

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Civ's Greece is and always has been classical Greece, not the unrelated modern state that shares the same core territory. Though in modern territorial terms Alexander's Macedon is the 'Macedonia' region of Greece - its capital and Alexander's birthplace, Pella, lies within Greece. Alexander is as Greek as Pericles or Gorgo.

Though as Esperr mentions national identity in a political sense is a recent phenomenon - many territories had foreign rulers or welcomed them. In Civ VI alone Catherine de Medici was Italian and Saladin a Kurd who ruled Egypt and Syria. Cleopatra was Ptolemaic Greek (though "Egyptian" by nationality by virtue of her birthplace, that wasn't a concept that existed in her time). Longstanding Civ leaders taking a break this edition - like the German Catherine the Great - likewise aren't natives of the nations they represent in game.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  16. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Don't forget that Queen Victoria had German ancestry, Jadwiga had French ancestry, etc.

17. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

None of them. I prefer they spend resources on making a game that requires a brain to play it rather than putting 95% of resources into animations, voice-acting and 3D graphics.

Sobornost likes this.
  18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I love different leaders, they make me aware of history more. Victoria was always a good one but would have been quite happy with one of the mad monarchs for a change. The re-use of Ghandi is just apalling, India had some fine leaders for example that never get a look in amd this is temding to personify India as a nice peaceful race.

What get on my wick is some of the artwork rather than the animations.

A hissy fit fan slap is Ok but the artwork on her hands is just poor, even for a cartoon.
    A cleo slime up and kiss is Ok but those eyes just are wrong

19. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Much of the blame is on the people who keep pushing for more of that fluffy stuff. I'd be happy with Dwarf Fortress style "graphics" if it meant more for AI and complexity.

Zuizgond likes this.
  20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm okay with the leaders. Civ5 had to many leaders of ethnicities that weren't really civilizations. By the 2nd expansion I really didn't like any of the leaders. They seemed so minor. I had no reason to play any of them.

The only one I don't care for in Civ6 so far is Scythia's leader. But it's hardly a deal breaker. I have played Scythia in a game. I just wish they allowed us to change the leader names on leaders we play. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet.

I love some of the animations like the sword thrusting and spear slinging and the shield. I will agree that I miss Civ5's background images.