Not Caring For the New Leaders

Which game's Leaders, screens, and animations do you prefer, Civ V or Civ VI?

• Civ V

Votes: 46 47.4%
  • Civ VI

Votes: 51 52.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, what I am extremely surprised (and pleased) about, is the subtle inclusion of a lot of interesting famous women as Great People. It might not be as obvious since so many of the names are not immediately recognizable.

Great Generals (6 out of 21):

1. Boudicca (Classical)
2. Aethelflaed (Medieval)
3. Ana Nzinga (Renaissance)
4. Jeanne d'Arc (Renaissance)
5. Rani Lakshmibai (Industrial)
6. Marina Raskova (Modern)

Great Admirals (4 out of 19):

1. Artemisia (Classical)
2. Ching Shih (Industrial)
3. Laskarina Bouboulina (Industrial)
4. Grace Hopper (Atomic)

Great Engineers (2 out of 18):

1. Ada Lovelace (Industrial)
2. Jane Drew (Atomic)

Great Merchants (6 out of 21):

1. Irene of Athens (Medieval)
2. Sarah Breedlove, aka Madam CJ Walker (Modern)
3. Mary Katherine Goddard (Modern)
4. Helena Rubinstein (Atomic)
5. Melitta Benz (Atomic)
6. Estee Lauder (Information)

Great Prophets (0 out of 16!!!)

Great Scientists (6 out of 21)

1. Hypatia (Classical)
2. Hildegard of Bingen (Medieval)
3. Emilie Du Chatelat (Renaissance)
4. Janaki Ammal (Atomic)
5. Mary Leakey (Atomic)
6. Stephanie Kwolek (Information)

Great Writers (6 out of 25)

1. Murasaki Shikibu (Medieval)
2. Margaret Cavendish (Renaissance)
3. Marie-Catherine d'Aulnoy (Renaissance)
4. Jane Austen (Industrial)
5. Mary Shelley (Industrial)
6. Emily Dickinson (Modern)

Great Artists (6 out of 20)

1. Sofonisba Anguissola (Modern)
2. Angelica Kauffman (Modern)
3. Edmonia Lewis (Atomic)
4. Marie-Anne Collot (Atomic)
5. Amrita Sher-Gil (Information)
6. Mary Cassatt (Information)

Great Musicians (3 out of 16)

1. Lili'uokalani (Atomic)
2. Clara Schumann (Atomic)
3. Gauhar Jaan (Information)

In terms of actual numbers, it is still far from parity. But I do like the inclusion of a lot of figures that people might not otherwise know about. Also, there is a nice attempt to include non-Western figures as well!
I find the inclusion of Grace Hopper as a Great Admiral to be a little funny. Although she was of course a Rear Admiral at retirement, to my knowledge she never served aboard and certainly never commanded a ship. Great Scientist seems more appropriate but whatever.

I find the inclusion of Grace Hopper as a Great Admiral to be a little funny. Although she was of course a Rear Admiral at retirement, to my knowledge she never served aboard and certainly never commanded a ship. Great Scientist seems more appropriate but whatever.

While I appreciate the selection and am glad it sheds light on lesser known figures from history, unfortunately, it feels like Civ VI really went with a quota system. Kind of like "why don't you go find a half dozen women who could fill this role and everything else will be men?"

Considering that there are exactly 6 Great Generals, Merchants, Scientists, Writers, and Artists who are all women, it really does feel like a quota. (For the others, it was as if they couldn't even find enough to make 6!). You would think that there would be more eligible Merchants, Scientists, Writers, and Artists who were female....

Your personal subjective evaluation of how you prefer a specific art style over another is about as far from objectivity as anything can ever get.
The leader screens are less detailed than before in almost all areas and take more time to navigate. Can't see how they wouldn't be objectively worse then.

The leader screens are less detailed than before in almost all areas and take more time to navigate. Can't see how they wouldn't be objectively worse then.
And they have richer characterisations of the leaders themselves, wonderfully-animated expressions and for a fact in terms of art theory the background is (intentionally) stylised. The fact that more pixels on the screen are darker does not mean they're any less artistic. It just means your enjoyment of the style used is simply a personal metric.

The performance of the game (diplomacy screens in particular) is a general sticking point, aye.

Top Bottom