Nov GoTM???

Veni

Chieftain
View attachment 192997

View attachment 192998

Greetings, fellow CivI o'philes. This need not necessarily constitute a GoTM, but since it has been relatively quiet here, I thought I'd give a shout out. Gits and shiggles, ya' know? Anyone prepared to get all mavricky?

This is one of my favorites, from my archives. I've started you out all Emporer like in 1000BC, as the Romans: You are a new Republic and WEAK! :lol: It's 'pure', i.e. not Dack-ified, etc. Germans are to the Northeast; Liguria is still 'Celtic'; Greeks hold 'Sicily' in the South. Play it if you feel like it; don't if you don't. If you DO, have fun! Then let's all get back together here and talk about it! Or not, and still find things not to talk about ... ;)

Oh yeah, it's 474.05, if anyone wants to know ...

Word.

Can I get a screenshot to get me turned on, perhaps?

I'd be more than happy to. However, it's not working: I hit 'print screen', head over to ye olde paint shoppe, but no 'edit'-'paste' available. Hmm. Any ideas?

Any guidelines to this one?

I mean, do we have to stay in Republic for a prescribed length of time, or can we declare ourselves Caesar right away? Or is it completely open-ended?

hi IC .... my 'policy' is ... make your own house rules (just always be honest about what you do :)
So no, just take it and run with it ...
My concept here is just a common game we might chat about .... ;)
peace!

Ok I played it and got obliterated by the Germans from the north, and by Greeks from the south

This need not necessarily constitute a GoTM
Sure it does! There is no need to create confusion here. This must of course be the official november GOTM. Thanks for posting it :goodjob:

Ok I played it and got obliterated by the Germans from the north, and by Greeks from the south
Don't forget to post your storry and your savegame files!

I just tried your scenario, Veni, but I played with some harsh restrictions:

1. Basic "cheat" rules: no moving save files to auto-save slots, no randomizing enemy leaders, no reverting to previous saves, no foreknowledge, no sentry in cities for extra movement, no settler wakening unless threatened, and no unloading on sentried ships.
  2. No revolutions. It'd be nice to spend some time in Despotism, but none of that. The whole game is to be played in Republic, however inappropriate that might be.
  3. No new cities, whether from settlers, conquest, or bribes, even if one gets taken. It would be easy, for instance, to buy Liguria after a couple turns, but I wanted to try without.

Unfortunately, the Germans didn't respect my ambitious challenge, and I effectively lost in 220 BC.

Spoiler :
First turn, I tried talking to the Germans, but apparently they had no techs for me, and just wanted my money. When I refused, they declared war (first turn!), and soon took RHAETIA. Although not a great city for size or trade, it would have made a valuable army/navy base and barrier for the better cities. Appeasement with a mere $50 would have been well worth it. I'll also be more careful about initiating contact from now on.

I soon held some celebrations to build up the more interesting trade cities, especially Aemilia, which has probably the most potential aside from the taboo Liguria (especially with the 2nd fish). Trade already has some bulbs, and soon caravans were re-homing to Aemilia, though I was slow in getting good trade routes up.

Despite my exploration, I've yet to find the Chinese or Babylonians. My embassy just informed me the Greeks had found them. To the southeast is a massive continent full of Greeks, which I didn't adequately explore. I haven't found Athens either, though with tricky bribery attempts and algebra, I know it's about 14 tiles from SICILIA.

In the end, the Germans were flanking Aemilia and gathering near Venetia. I was saving to buy a NONE knight from the Greeks when the Germans tried to contact me. I knew they'd want my money, so I declined, and they promptly declared war. A couple turns later my critical border cities were doomed and I knew I couldn't win.

I don't know what people here think of submitting any game after the first, but I may play again anyway, even with significant foreknowledge. Next time, I'd avoid talking to the Germans, destroy Liguria (no prohibition on that), keep a couple coastal cities in disorder at size 2 and support 5 units with forests (plant them if necessary), and waste less resources on embassies. Also, using some of my newly-supported large army for blockading and pillaging Germany could be a good investment. The slave cities could also be used to support the defense of the wealthy cities, keeping production up.

Thanks for the scenario, Veni!

UD -
This can be a really tough one ... it's hard to balance growth vs defense/conquest from the get-go. It's one of my favorite games from over the years (I wish I still had an earlier start than 1000BC, though), both for the challenge & for its proximation to the Italian peninsula. I've had varying degrees of success w/ different strategies, but most immediately they've required: 1) an active defense of the German border (based in Rhaetia, & maybe taking Leipzig), & 2) taking the fight to the Greeks asap. I've never played with so stringent rules, though!

If you do play again, let me know how it goes!

Hi pals!

I´ve done the november gotm but have some probs to upload the files. i´ll do that later. just wanted to say that im on it so my results would also be counted.

i dont exactly remember but i think i finished in 660AD with about 160 %, but i will add the exact facts later on.

but have to say it was a quiet good game as always!!

cu guys

Ok got it now!

View attachment CIVIL2.zip

I finished in 660AD (u have 2 bribe the last city), with 163% and 6.9 million people.

I started to bribe back the 2 cities lost to the greeks and the barbs. Then saved some cash and unites to smash the germans and switched 2 despotism when i had what i needed (by the way i always had taxes at 100%). After wasting lots of diplomates to crush Berlins citywalls i captured it and bribed the remaining cities ---> i found a nice thread where bribing is exactly explained, which said its cheapest when there is no capital. and they are right!!

after that the creeks had come to fall, which i found not so hard, cause their cities where distributed about a huge territory and not so easily to defend. The rest was quiet fun.
All at all i think i bribed about half of all cities i took which saved me lots of time to build units!!

GOOD GAME!!

tnx VENI

Top Bottom