[RD] Nova Scotia mass killings

Ban something that's already banned. Truly a controversial and bold move by Trudeau.

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't those weapons illegal because they weren't registered? Now, weapons whose only purpose is to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible are banned. Period. :thumbsdown:

A few days ago, Global News posted some security camera pics showing the gunman's car in Truro. I recognize all three of those locations. He came across the Walker Street bridge, travelled east on Esplanade/Arthur Street, then turned south on Willow Street until he reached Highway 2.

I wonder if the Truro Police were informed. They might've set up roadblocks on the bridges. Park Street already has a gate because the road floods out at least once a year and idiots kept trying to cross it anyways (even moving barricades so they can get through).

Last edited:
I wonder if the Truro Police were informed. They might've set up roadblocks on the bridges. Park Street already has a gate because the road floods out at least once a year and idiots kept trying to cross it anyways (even moving barricades so they can get through).

Apparently not.

Macleans article said:
It is not clear why the RCMP didn’t ask the Truro and Amherst police to set up roadblocks to prevent the killer from leaving the area. Roadblocks at the entrances to Highway 102, which leads to the killer’s Dartmouth home, could easily have been blocked by Truro police, closing a natural chokepoint where the Bay of Fundy divides the province.

“The Truro Police cannot comment on what the RCMP did or did not do,” said Gallant. “The Truro police was not asked to set up roadblocks or a perimetre for containment.”

The Truro Police only became aware that the killer had driven through Truro “when the RCMP released the video showing the vehicle driving through town [approximately a week later].”

Nice coordination there. Is there a provincial police force in Nova Scotia, or just the federals and the locals?

As far as I'm aware, it's just the RCMP and then local forces (Truro, HRP, etc).

There's four bridges across the Salmon River, five if you count highway 102, and two of them are relatively out of the way. With some coordination, they might've been able to block them up.

Apparently at the time he was passing through Truro, the RCMP was shooting at the fire hall, which was over 10 km away.

Nice coordination there. Is there a provincial police force in Nova Scotia, or just the federals and the locals?

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/feat...g-disaster-say-colchester-county-councillors/

Three years ago, Gregory and Parker raised the issue with their fellow councillors. They knew that the current contract worth almost $6 million per year with the RCMP would be expiring within a year and they were looking for alternatives.

In January, the nearby Truro municipal force was asked to put in a proposal to police the entire county. Within a month of being asked, the Truro police made a proposal which included 24-hour policing, staffed sub-detachments, and more police on the ground — for less money.

The RCMP was asked to make a similar proposal, but hasn’t yet. A potentially complication is that the new RCMP union will come into being in the near future.

“When the time comes, I just want to be able to compare apples to apples,” Parker said.

“But the Department of Justice was supposed to come back to us with their model in March or April. Now they are telling us its going to be another 20 weeks. We need to know as soon as possible. The RCMP right now is 90th on pay scales in Canada for police. With the union, we can expect they are going to want a raise and we can’t afford $7 million or $8 million dollars.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...s-suing-rcmp-nova-scotia-government-1.5616129

Two families of victims of the Nova Scotia mass shooting are launching a proposed class-action lawsuit against the RCMP that questions not just how the force handled the rampage, but its actions in the weeks that followed.

The lawsuit covers a range of criticisms previously raised about the tragedy, including police communication. But it also questions staffing levels, notification of families and alleges a vehicle seized as evidence was later released to a family with human remains still inside.

what the hell

Where's our inquiry?

We're finally getting a public inquiry. They were going to do a "independent review" (which meant that witnesses can't be compelled to testify under oath). Public pressure made them change their mind.

Also the shooter smuggled drugs and guns from the U.S. and apparently the RCMP knew about this enough to mention it when requesting a warrant to search his property. This is...raising questions.

Also the shooter smuggled drugs and guns from the U.S. and apparently the RCMP knew about this enough to mention it when requesting a warrant to search his property. This is...raising questions

Indeed it is. I mean, either the RCMP is lying about the smuggling for some reason or they knew about the smuggling and didn't do anything about it before this guy started killing people because...reasons.

There are rumours that he may have been a police informant (he picked up a lot of money from Brinks just beforehand, which is apparently how informants are paid?). Also the guy had family who was RCMP and got parts of his outfit from a family member (which is actually against their rules, they're supposed to return the uniforms).

There are rumours that he may have been a police informant (he picked up a lot of money from Brinks just beforehand, which is apparently how informants are paid?). Also the guy had family who was RCMP and got parts of his outfit from a family member (which is actually against their rules, they're supposed to return the uniforms).

Man, conspiracy theorist must be going nuts with this story then. This seems like the kind of stuff that would make them scream "inside job!" and "manufactured crisis!"

Our premier is also known to be rather...pro-police. I remember him defending the response when some teenager got arrested for using wget on the Freedom of Information website because they had some private documents mixed in with all the public ones without any security.

Top Bottom