1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nubia First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Note to thread: I've deleted about two full pages of off-topic spam posts, mostly dealing with whether and to what extent LGBT leaders have been or should be included in a Civ game, including a disappointing number of posts that were trolling (or close to it). Rather than dish out multiple infractions, I've just deleted the posts and am asking everyone to please comply with the mod text that has appeared several times in the thread -- discuss Nubia, its leader, their respective abilities and attributes, and associated game play implications. it is also OK to speculate about other potential African civs that may be added to complement Nubia and Kongo, but please try not to wander farther afield -- there are other threads dealing with general speculation and hopes for future civs (some in this forum and others in the Ideas & Suggestions forum). Many thanks.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Manifold and AntoineS like this.
  2. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy "Save a horse..."

I'm of two minds regarding Nubia.

It may not do anything interesting mechanically, but in terms of pure statistical advantage, it's so overpowered that it will be fun to play as.

However, its inclusion is at the exclusion of more historically important and interesting civilizations, certainly globally, but even compared solely to other African civilizations. This game is already too bloated with novelty civilizations and as of yet still only contains an anemic amount of core civilizations. Nubia aggravates that problem. I'd have much preferred to see Carthage, the Zulu, Ethiopia, or the Moors. Hell, Wakanda would have been better!

Worst of all is the character design for whats-her-name. Though I suppose that creates an incentive to play as Nubia, so as not to have to see her fat ugly face.

Hawke9 likes this.
  3. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Faces in the right top of the screen...

Hawke9 and nzcamel like this.
  4. Deutsch

Deutsch Chieftain

I really like the new citadel for Nubia. It looks great! I also would have preferred Carthage but I can see why some people would be upset as they are not really African and more Mediterranean. I think Ethiopia will be added as the 3rd civ, but I would love it to be Madagascar or an alternate leader for Kongo.

5. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Chieftain

This. I don't know too much about Nubia, but it kinda just looks like Egypt but with a curvy black lady to me. The units, the pyramids, everything might as well be Egyptian. There's more unique civs they could have chosen, but they didn't. It's a bit similair to Macedon, really. That's another civ that just didn't have to be in the game, or at the very least not at this stage. We're missing very important core civs and they're filling up the roster with what feels like filler. Even with like the TSL Egypt will have room for one city along the nile and that's it. Meanwhile the rest of Africa is empty.

Hawke9 likes this.
  6. luigilime

luigilime Chieftain

You are right about it being very similar to Egypt but for the core civs they are definitely coming with the expansion and come to think of it, Nubia in the expansion with all the returning civs would have gone unnoticed. So at least now they have a little moment of glory just for themselves

7. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I've been saying sv all along.

8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Then I didn't notice that. However, I'm glad that we agree about this.

agonistes likes this.
  9. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

Which ones do you think are "novelty civilizations"? Personally, while I do think a civ should have some historical significance to be included, I think flavor and variety are more important than simply who was the most powerful in actual history. An interesting history or culture for the real world counterpart, varied character design, and good unique abilities.

As such, I think this lovely, curvaceous black woman is a worthy inclusion. :)

10. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

If you search "young queen Victoria" you should find some pictures resembling Victoria from Civ VI. However Amanitore is usually depicted as a quite bulky woman, although not as bulky as in Civ VI.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

No actual word yet on when DLC05 will be released? I assume tomorrow.

12. luigilime

luigilime Chieftain

What if they reveal another civ tomorrow? Are there any Chances?

13. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

@Eagle Pursuit estimates that the new civ that'll come with DLC06 will be released next month, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong EP.

14. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

@Eagle Pursuit predicted the first look to be on Tuesday. He was correct. He predicted the livestream to be on today. He was also correct. He predicted the release to be on tomorrow - I believe in his prediction. He is the prophet, after all...

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

If there were another civ on this DLC, it would have been announced before the livestream. So, the next DLC will have the SEA civ plus either another civ or an alt-leader for SEA. I believe it will come late-September at the earliest, with October being more likely.

CivLuvah, Kimiimaro and luigilime like this.
  16. luigilime

luigilime Chieftain

When are you starting the DLC 6 anticipation thread?

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I already did. But the mods have locked it until we see SteamDB activity for DLC06. It will be reopened then.

Ondolindë likes this.
  18. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Bite already started it, but then wisely locked it until we reach a point where we have something to actually anticipate. Presumably it will be re-opened when the appointed hour arrives ;)

19. luigilime

luigilime Chieftain

Oh that one

20. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

uh, now i know which civ all the new players are gonna play: Noobia. ha ha. what a pun, right? xD

nzcamel and Kimiimaro like this.