Nubia First Look

I think DLC06 might be the last one in the pre-expansion cycle.

I think there will be a winter patch, but without a DLC, and then they will be focused on an expansion to come out in the late spring.

I agree with your comment that the second civ is probably Khmer, but maybe they will label it as Cambodia, which I believe is modern day Khmer to add some spice to it. You never know. I mean realistically, did you ever think the African civ would be Nubia? I mean possibly a, 15% chance you thought.

I think DLC06 might be the last one in the pre-expansion cycle.

I think there will be a winter patch, but without a DLC, and then they will be focused on an expansion to come out in the late spring.

Probably but they may also try and get 1 or 2 more out that are not in the DDE

anyway, I have to sleep and the stream is at 4am my time, so I look forward to reading all the patch notes later in the morning

Okay, everybody. bite is asleep now. Let's break out the Ouija board and summon a dev to compel them to spill all their secrets!
Too bad that I don't have Ouija board... But at least we have you, the prophet!

Say some prophecy, please!

As always, the new civ is OP. This must be a deliberate strategy to get people to buy the new DLC.

I remember the same thing happened back in my Warhammer days. The new faction to get redesigned would always be slightly better than the old ones in order to get people to buy the new stuff and be stronger.

It's a shame that a series with such an illustrious track record is using such a sleazy way of making money. They'd do better in the long run to keep things a little more balanced.

As always, the new civ is OP. This must be a deliberate strategy to get people to buy the new DLC.

I remember the same thing happened back in my Warhammer days. The new faction to get redesigned would always be slightly better than the old ones in order to get people to buy the new stuff and be stronger.

It's a shame that a series with such an illustrious track record is using such a sleazy way of making money. They'd do better in the long run to keep things a little more balanced.

Dunno about the strategy behind it. But i agree that Nubia is pretty damn OP.

I can't believe that. I don't know if they're sleazy and it looks like the new civ might be strong, but I can't think that there are people out there that will buy it that wouldn't have otherwise. And if there are, it's a tiny unworthwhile number.

Well... I dunno about the racist or sexist part... But don't you think that a person who is described as a warrior queen shouldn't be that fat? Imagine if they had depicted gorgo like that. I for one wish they'd made her a bit slimmer. After all... Other female leaders in the game (who were not warriors in the slightest and spent their time at feasts and balls Catherine for example likely would've been obese in real life) are not depicted with that much bulk.
All the depictions of Catherine depict her as a very small woman, except her effigy, which is more plump--but I don't think she's at death's door in her Civ6 depiction. Meanwhile, as shown earlier in this thread, Aminatore seems to have been quite...robust.

Well... I dunno about the racist or sexist part... But don't you think that a person who is described as a warrior queen shouldn't be that fat? Imagine if they had depicted gorgo like that. I for one wish they'd made her a bit slimmer. After all... Other female leaders in the game (who were not warriors in the slightest and spent their time at feasts and balls Catherine for example likely would've been obese in real life) are not depicted with that much bulk.

She was never described as a warrior queen. Many Kandake were warriors but it is not a requirement of the title. Her and her husband were notable for their building.

I agree Nubia is OP (see Post#3 of this thread). But:

a) I don't think they are making much - I think most people who would buy a DLC bought the deluxe
b) I mean this with love - I don't think the Firaxis employees are good enough at Civ to calculate what is OP/ what isn't.
c) It might depend on what level you play. I play Deity, where taking well developed AI cities is often more efficient than creating your own. If they balance around Prince/King, maybe other bonuses are stronger?
c) It might depend what map you play. If the production bonus is only for Land, Ranged, maybe they are balancing around continents? It wouldn't be great for Islands. I play one land mass, typically, so again they are OP for me.

I used the phrase OP in post#3. I don't use it likely - I think you can only have one OP civ per victory condition. I previously thought Persia was OP for domination, I now think it will be Nubia.

I think the pyramid is mostly going to be used for the 40%.

Its usually not worth working. Great for the initial pantheon. Possibly on flood plains with lady of reeds n marshes. And that's the synergy right there. Plop a pyramid, build a holy site fast, run prayers, get pantheon (and religion if incluned).

These aren't something you plan around other than one next to the city center, unlike Persia's ui.

But, don't they upgrade with techs? Do we know what they max out at if they do?

I guess they could be used as mini-petras, depending on the vc, if atop a hill.

It will be fun to fool around with them.

I'm running a huge kongo/egypt/nubia game thursday just for thst purpose. Maybe hotseat it.

edit: on marathon, their value increases in the early game by quite a bit. 1 point of of a bucket resource makes a huge difference through classical.

edit 2: I see the archers as great defenders. Upgrade yout slingers, get your promotions at 50%, then use them as +10 district defenders.

Maybe I'm starting to view Nubia as a more passive civ. Grab writing after archery, get your campuses up, then straight to apprenticeship. Should be getting scientists and engineers. Science victory ahoy!

edit 3: and I just gitta say, this is one damn sexy civ!

Last edited:

Given the way DLC is going in a lot of other games, I'm half surprised they area actually still releasing DLC with content, and not just cosmetic changes. Maybe civ 7 will be "Buy the 1.99 desert mountain graphics DLC" or "Your scout found a tribal village with a box for a new outfit for Cleopatra! Pay 1.99 for a key to unlock it!"

Given the way DLC is going in a lot of other games, I'm half surprised they area actually still releasing DLC with content, and not just cosmetic changes. Maybe civ 7 will be "Buy the 1.99 desert mountain graphics DLC" or "Your scout found a tribal village with a box for a new outfit for Cleopatra! Pay 1.99 for a key to unlock it!"

I can't see micro-transactions working well for Civ. That's more of a mobile/browser game kind of thing.

I think the pyramid is mostly going to be used for the 40%.

Its usually not worth working. Great for the initial pantheon. Possibly on flood plains with lady of reeds n marshes. And that's the synergy right there. Plop a pyramid, build a holy site fast, run prayers, get pantheon (and religion if incluned).

These aren't something you plan around other than one next to the city center, unlike Persia's ui.

But, don't they upgrade with techs? Do we know what they max out at if they do?

I guess they could be used as mini-petras, depending on the vc, if atop a hill.

It will be fun to fool around with them.

I'm running a huge kongo/egypt/nubia game thursday just for thst purpose. Maybe hotseat it.

edit: on marathon, their value increases in the early game by quite a bit. 1 point of of a bucket resource makes a huge difference through classical.

edit 2: I see the archers as great defenders. Upgrade yout slingers, get your promotions at 50%, then use them as +10 district defenders.

Maybe I'm starting to view Nubia as a more passive civ. Grab writing after archery, get your campuses up, then straight to apprenticeship. Should be getting scientists and engineers. Science victory ahoy!

edit 3: and I just gitta say, this is one damn sexy civ!

Because they can only go on desert, that will limit their value. Would have rather they provide a standard adjacency for any district next to them. But they will be pretty solid for an early floodplains tile - I mean, if adjacent to a city centre, it's better than a farm, and gets even better with every other district next to it. But even on a desert hill, it would need to be adjacent to a city centre plus probably at least 2 other districts to really be worth working. But yeah, they're most useful just for the district production boost.

Top Bottom