Nuclear Question

Do Nuclear Weapons Usually figur elargely into your Military Strategy or Game

• Yes

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 67 79.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I typically only use nukes when I can launch about 20 of them at once to take out an entire civilization in one sweep (that have REALLY ticked me off.)

Were it not for the pollution aspect, I would use them regularly in CivII. They are great fun. My kids always come running to see the devastation when they hear that air-raid siren. :D

Were it not for the pollution aspect, I would use them regularly in CivII. They are great fun. My kids always come running to see the devastation when they hear that air-raid siren.
:rotfl:

In 90% of my games I don't nuke, but every once in a while I like to load up about 5 subs to the hilt, and unleash the devastation.

I Rarely use Nuclear missiles, but I do like to have a few loaded on subs just in case. The most annoying thing imo how freely it seems like the AI players use nukes, there is nothing worse than capturing a city only to have nuked within the next couple of turns :mad:

Yeah, I hate that. Maybe that nationality feature in civ 2 will make the AI less rampant in nuking their own citizens.
:sniper: :ripper:

Nuclear weapons are always important in game. You absolutely must build one to solidify your position in the world. Using them is another matter, however.

I usually try to win the nuclear race, and devestate a given civ that is not yet a nuclear power. In that case, i usually bomb their most powerful cities, move in with paratroopers or helicopters, and then wage war from there on in, without nukes. The polution and infrastructure damage isnt so bad that it can't be fixed within the space of a ten or twenty turns.

I always use Nuclear weapons as a sort of reassurance. as soon is i get missiles i put them on subs(2-4 on each) and those travel within about 10 squares of the enemy shore. normally i have 1-2 subs per civ. should one of them ever be foolish enough to declare war on me (or to spy on me) i can teach them a lesson the following round :D

But i normally only use them to weaken the bigger citys, not to completle destroy them all. that way the AI can remove the pollution and i don't have to care about global warming :lol:

I try to avoid nuclear war as much as possible.

All this talk has made me really want to load up CivII or maybe SMAC and get into some heavy duty world domination...

But I figure CivIII will be that much more enjoyable if I can just hold off for a few more weeks...

- Stravaig

I never use nukes. I only have them to increase their atitude toward me. And as a "pointer", that is a unit that I never move so I always know when the turn will be over without it ending suddenly after a unit move. I also build SDIs in all my cities. Right after I found a city I rush build a SDI. With the SDI being a small wonder in civ3 it doesn't look like I need to rush build one anymore. As a new unit change in "rules.txt" I might de-nuke nuclear missles. And just make them powerful cruise missles. I wonder if actually USING them on the AI changes his (hers?) atitude?

I rarely ever use nukes because either:

1) I am still researching Railroad by the time I dominate the world or the AI is still researching Railroad while my guys are walking on AC
3) It's more fun to take it over w/o nukes
4) You can't win a nuclear war any more than you can win an earthquake (pollution)

i really don't use nukes, unless i just want to have some fun :D
but sometimes i will have to use nukes when the ai's ship is being built, i will nuke large cities and drop the population so there productivity goes down the drain :lol: but usually i won't use them, because i don't bother building the manhattan project, and the other civs probably don't have the technology to, so basically im done my spaceship before nukes come into the game.

oops, :o , i doubled it, what happened to the 30 second limit?:confused:

This is a discussion about existing game strategy, not speculations about Civ3 strategy. So I'm shifting it to the Civ2 GD forum.

I use nukes so often I can act as my own night light....:nuke: :mutant:

I refuse to even Build Them...I dont like them at all...of course there are those Games where nothing seems to go your way, and well...you know how it goes ;)

I always build a few nukes, but usually don't use them unless another civ nukes me first. If they do, I'll nuke 'em remorselessly.

Once, in SMAC, when I had wiped all other factions 'xcept the University, I build a bunch of Singularity Planetbusters and completely wiped their continent form the face of the planet. Pretty satisfying ... :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Originally posted by slothman
...And as a "pointer", that is a unit that I never move so I always know when the turn will be over without it ending suddenly after a unit move.

FYI: You can set your game preferences to require hitting the ENTER key as confirmation that you wish to end your turn - that way, you will never have a turn end by accidentally moving the last unit available.

Yes, but at the begining I don't want to have to hit enter since I just want to move and move again. I guess I could change the rule but I am just used to my way. Since I want nukes anyway to increase their atitude then it isn't too bad.

Top Bottom