Nuclear Question

Do Nuclear Weapons Usually figur elargely into your Military Strategy or Game

• Yes

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 67 79.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my last game that I won I had such a terrible reputation that using nukes would have probably improved my reputation...

:D [plasma] :D

Thanks for all the replies, If anybody hasnt answered I would like you to.

I do not use nukes unless I have to when I'm playing the AI. Currently I've been playing on a network at my house and that changes everything. While I'm not a real nuke user the friends I play with are of a different caliber. They love to nuke and are not too concerned about pollution. It makes it a much more difficult game to play. I just try and make sure I get to the nukes first and get to the SDI so it renders most nukes useless.:D

I never use nukes. I usually even wait building the Manhattan Program 'till I have SDI in my most important and border cities.

I dont like them. But, not unlike the real world, better to be a have than a have not.

There is no deterent for the AI. I've been attacked with a nuke and retaliated massively, changing the enemy AI from enraged to uncooperative, effectively forcing a treaty. But it doesnt stop another civ from doing the same thing later.

I hope this is changed in Civ3.

SDI is the way to go in Civ2. I would much rather blow things up with stealth fighters and bombers.

How can some of you people not use :nuke: - it makes the game so much more interesting if you use them. Even better - if you are a fundamentalist you can GET AWAY WITH IT!!! Result = free cities, destroyed opposition and only a bit of pollution - a well placed nuke can take down an entire civ!

I seldom use nukes too, in fact i favor the slowing of the construction of the Manhattan Project, until i've built SDI defenses in most of my cities, or until the SS is about to reach AC!:D

But i rarely reach the time of Nukes in SP games, i often destroy the AI civs earlier than that period!:goodjob:

But if the AI starts using them, i can't resist to use them too (it's kind of fun to nuke things up)!:lol:

But what i really enjoy to do is nuking ships in the middle ocean! It's great because there's no pollution and all the ships in the blast zone will be destroyed! This is pretty useful because the AI oftenly stacks a lot of ships in a determined area, and this strategy often destroys almost all the Navy of the enemy!
:lol:

Portugal
Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)

If you play the computer on a high level or any level i believe.
Well anyways i always have nukes ready to strike. The AI just loves to vaporize civilians

Heres a good question;

Can the spy use its sabotage ability against a SDI improvement?

I would think so...

Mwah-hah-hah-hah! That opens up some new possibilities!:D

I cant BELIEVE I never thought of that before!

OOPS! Never mind. I loaded an old game and tried it.

"Sire, our spy reports that SDI is surrounded by razor wire and guard dogs. No sabotage is possible."

*sigh* So I just planted a nuclear device...

Oh well, back to the 'evil' drawing board.

:nuke: :confused: :nuke:

With the pollution efect I don't find it helps to nuke at all since I am usually going for climbing up on my score board in terms of percentage. Plus it is another one of those gulit things. I used a single nuke once in a game where I had led the whole time in science and by creaming most of the AI's early on which is the only way it sits well with me anyway. Thanks to the reset civilizations though some sneaky none allied AI was still alive when I should have been deciding I had toyed enough with the civilization I kept penned in some area to keep the space race alive. They come along, steal technology, steal technology, steal technolgy etc and suddenly you are going to lose a game you really had in the bag in both ways. I didn't have the same ehtincal conudrum over it since to my mind the Ai is cheating a bit and I have not seen enough of them to grow attached. But hearing the alert and seeing the :nuke: well that pretty well cured me of any desire to use nukes again. I still try to win the race to nuclear capability but that is just a way of keeping the Ai's from concluding I am pathtic.

I use them when the AI steals an important tech or if they are very agressive constantly breaking treaties.
I once had a civ send 5! spies after me in one turn, all but one had a failed espionage attempt cause a vet spy just happened to be in the city. The next turn I nuked 4 of their cities in retaliation.

heehee, nuke'in camel jockeys. Sux to waste nukes on cities defended by knights, but saves me the trouble of having to lay seige to enemy cities to lower their pops to one so I can erase any trace of my enemy's idiotic city lay outs. Cannot believe it can sometimes take up to 200 turns (without using dips, spys, or nukes) to erase a city that started at 8. I am so lazy.

Drop bomb, city goes to four, let idiot move unit back in
Drop bomb, city goes to two, let idiot move unit back in
Drop bomb, city goes to one, let the nuke jockey move a unit in.
Bye bye bad guy civ city.

NEVER trust Babylonians!

Nice!

Although surely it would have been sensible just to take the city over rather than obliterating it...Unless you were keeping to a set city limit or something.

It is just that the computer cannot pick the best sites to place its cities, so I must go in, erase them, and build new cities more efficiently. That is why I cannot beat deity level, since I spend too much time erasing cities to pave the way for better ones.

And now in Civ III the dips and spies cannot poison. All the more reason to use nukes. Laying seige just takes too damn long.

BOOM, another babylonian city erased from the annals of history.

I've started to build an airport by the coast.. From there I send out my fleet of nuclear sub... I launch major offensives wiping out civilizations........ I always have united nations though... It seems everyone is more receptive with them on your side...

i used to avoid using NuclearNukes till one game when my peaceful nation :) was attacked by evil Germans (btw, they were the last civ i contacted).. they were allied to Persians, small sattelite civ to Egyptians.. i was not touching anyone, but Persians started it, Germans accepted it and sent 2 nukes to my cities.. i got mad and sent 3 to Germans, refusing to accept peace.. those damn Germans established alliance with Egyptians and those damn creatures also sent 2 nukes to 1 city with the difference of 2 turns! another 4 nukes was sent as a gift to Egyptians.. i would like to mark, that the game was planned to be peaceful, but AI found the right nerv of mine :(

but still, i'm not a fan of this weapon

Like most of you, I try to keep a bunch of nukes lying around. Just in case...

While they never played a dominant role in my strategy, I do get a warm fuzzy feeling when i know my nuclear armed subs are on patrol :nuke:

Well, as I said before the people I play with like to use nukes if they can. The funny thing is I used the first one in this game, and I only ment it to be a harsh warning. One of the players in my group threw 16 spies into one of my largest cities that is very close to the Russians, which are also allied with the said Vikings. He proceeded to destroy most of my improvements, I then in retaliation told the Russians to remove their subs from my zone, which they didnt so I blew most of them from the water and then nuked a city. Well it was not the smartest thing to do, he then found the few cities that didnt have SDI and nuked 4 of them as well as most of my fleet. It is a nasty game needless to say. I will say one thing, if you have a chance to play civ on a lan enviroment, it is the way to go. The game is much faster and you dont have to worry about the disconnects. I wish I could get some of you guys in on it. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to get people of the lan here into a game on the net. Anybody know if thats possible?:crazyeyes

I must admit that I use nukes almost as soon as I get them. Why? Because I have a list in the back of my mind who is the first to go, all the time-- throughout the game. Whenever possible, I attack a civ's capital first. Schism almost always assures that you will take one half the civ within the next few turns provided you build a bunch of cheap fast moving units to follow your nukes into battle (not close though or they get NUKED!).

Then again, I use the expansionist concept and make everyone build an engineer to clean up the mess. Once the big civ is gone, you rule the world, no questions asked. You can easily use conventional warfare after that and take out the rest or build a spaceship unchallenged.

Besides, there is nothing like the sound and sight of nuke!

:goodjob:

Man, I'm glad I'm really not a world leader; I'd be ruthless.

John

Top Bottom