[GS] O Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Canadians here wanting to suggest a good national or leader ability for Canada ?

I suggested along time ago something along the lines of more production from woods, lumbermills and camps on woods just because woods are underused right now.
Laubier can deal with the diplomacy and dual culture aspects of a Canadian Civ.

I suggested a French-Canadian Civ on "Design your own Civ" thread a few days ago, I'll carry it around on my sig for a few days

Unique Building "Sugar Shack" refers to Canadian reliance on the wood industry from the Napoleonic Wars and beyond, Canadian food surplus, the simplicity of Canadian culture, and maple syrup

I suggested along time ago something along the lines of more production from woods, lumbermills and camps on woods just because woods are underused right now.
Laubier can deal with the diplomacy and dual culture aspects of a Canadian Civ.

Maybe a unique tile improvement that gives +2 gold for each adjacent camp and +1 production for each adjacent lumbermill.

That would cover both trappers and lumberjacks, two of the most iconic professions of early Canada.

Maybe a unique tile improvement that gives +2 gold for each adjacent camp and +1 production for each adjacent lumbermill.

That would cover both trappers and lumberjacks, two of the most iconic professions of early Canada.

The problem with that is there's not really any improvements like that in Canada. The closest would be like an old fort/stockade, which was used as both military defense and for the fur trade. I guess giving it increased yields for forests or camps could work. But I don't know if it really has any sort of interesting name to it, and to be fair, that would be a pretty horrible UI. I think it works better as a civ's UA, to just give increased yields to camps and lumbermills directly, if you're going down that route.

UU we're really stretching. Mounties are a police force, not a military unit. Honestly, given our somewhat lack of military history, I really wouldn't mind if they gave us a UU that was non-military. Maybe a unique trader unit (Voyageurs) that has increased yields when travelling along rivers?

UU we're really stretching. Mounties are a police force, not a military unit. Honestly, given our somewhat lack of military history, I really wouldn't mind if they gave us a UU that was non-military. Maybe a unique trader unit (Voyageurs) that has increased yields when travelling along rivers?
Surprise: Canada has no UU, but a UB and a UI. Another civs get 2 UUs.

Mounties would be a terrible UU. The Mountie Fort, though, could be a good UI. We don't have a unique fort yet, I don't think? It would be a way to throw some love to an under utilized game mechanic.

Funny to say lack of military history when Canadian identity started with the military. See War of 1812, WWI, etc. I'd argue it was our military that first turned us from English and French to Canadians.

Surprise: Canada has no UU, but a UB and a UI. Another civs get 2 UUs.
At this point thats a possibility but I still think the mountie is coming with a hockey arena with something along the lines of the ability I mentioned above.

I could see them giving us the "unique governor" as our unique unit.
I think Ottomans having Bey as a unique governor makes more sense.

In Canada is a city called Sudbury. It sits on one of the largest iron deposits in the world. In the 1960s the city was so barren that NASA trained its moon bound astronauts in the area. By the 90s it was winning UN environment awards for the massive reclaimination. Theyve even planted rolling fields of grass on the slag pile in the recent years. Point being its not all doom and gloom in Canada when it comes to polution.

At this point thats a possibility but I still think the mountie is coming with a hockey arena with something along the lines of the ability I mentioned above.
I think that it could be an armored unit possibly if they find a way to make it work. Canada produced a significant amount of armored vehicles during World War II, so they could create a Sherman variant or a British tank variant. Alternately they could get a Destroyer since they produced their own class. WWII is a decent inspirational place for Canadian unique units, so I hope they go there instead.

EDIT: Just read that Wilfried Laurier actually proposed a separate Canadian Naval Force and introduced a bill creating the Royal Canadian Navy so take that as you will...perhaps they do get a destroyer UU or something.

Last edited:
In Canada is a city called Sudbury. It sits on one of the largest iron deposits in the world. In the 1960s the city was so barren that NASA trained its moon bound astronauts in the area. By the 90s it was winning UN environment awards for the massive reclaimination. Theyve even planted rolling fields of grass on the slag pile in the recent years. Point being its not all doom and gloom in Canada when it comes to polution.
And the town of Asbestos, where the residents chose to keep the apropriate name, even after the clean-up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos,_Quebec

I would really expect the Unique Governor to be Axel Oxenstierna for Christina's Sweden. They could have Christina be like 16-17 years old, she ascended the throne at age 6.

The problem with that is there's not really any improvements like that in Canada. The closest would be like an old fort/stockade, which was used as both military defense and for the fur trade. I guess giving it increased yields for forests or camps could work. But I don't know if it really has any sort of interesting name to it, and to be fair, that would be a pretty horrible UI. I think it works better as a civ's UA, to just give increased yields to camps and lumbermills directly, if you're going down that route.

That's why I was thinking of a Skirmisher replacement that does exploring and has some kind of resource-gathering/trading mechanic.

Lumberjack as a Builder replacement. :crazyeye: Nobody uses Builders for anything other than chopping anyway LOL
As a non-chopper and Empire builder, I would like to oppose the second part of this statement.

Unless it was meant as a joke that flew over my head. If it's the case, somebody tell me, so I can feel a bit embarrased :crazyeye:

As a non-chopper and Empire builder, I would like to oppose the second part of this statement.

Unless it was meant as a joke that flew over my head. If it's the case, somebody tell me, so I can feel a bit embarrased :crazyeye:

It was a joke. If we're going to be stereotypical about Canada, we can be stereotypical about Civ players, too, right? :lol:

Every time we have this discussion, it makes me wonder why the set up menu doesn't include an option to select leaders you don't want in the game?
Yes, yes, yes! They're making so many nice little QOL changes, this would be a great on to add to the list.

Lumberjack as a Builder replacement. :crazyeye: Nobody uses Builders for anything other than chopping anyway LOL
If I weren't on my phone, I'd find the Monty Python lumberjack song to post here....

That's why I was thinking of a Skirmisher replacement that does exploring and has some kind of resource-gathering/trading mechanic.
I'm guessing the Inca will get a skirmisher replacement UU, although Canada would not be a bad choice, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom