OB07 - The First Shall Be Last

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
Well the new version of Fall From Heaven (0.34) has been released :goodjob:.

When I was looking through the new features, one in particular struck me as being quite challenging and great for a SG.

72. Added the "Challenge: High to Low" game option (single player only, human player has to get to 1st place and is then takes control of the last place player, must take that player to 1st place, then you are switched to the last place player for the rest of the game).

I imagine this is pretty hard to do. Actually at Monarch (which I'm leaning towards this game being at) I reckon it could be very difficult indeed.

I'm defiantely having it on an Erebus map script (now part of the mob), would like to play large or huge map but will happily play standard size if the groups PCs can't handle it.

Roster of 6 should do it. Conroe and Imhotep have reserved spots, the other three spots will be auctioneed of to the highest bidder ;)

So sign up if you're brave enough and we'll get away next week sometime.

Roster:
Ozbenno
Jet
Conroe
Imhotep

Well, I'm only a Prince-Monarch player, so don't feel you have to be nice and take me. If you want Monarch+, I don't mind.

That in mind, I'd love to play.

I'd hit it.
Any size.

Checking in Captain Sir :salute: ! This will be a rough ride, but sometimes you just have to say "What the hey..." and go for it... :D

Excellent.

Had a quick test run on Noble last night (erebus, huge map). Started as random leader (can't see much preference in doing otherwise) and ended up as Os Gabella, met and warrior rushed Tasunke, that and a hut pop put me in first place by turn 75 or so and I switched to Kandos Fir, who was stuck in the worst capital I had ever seen (tundra and hilly), stuck at size 2 without hunting (80 turns of research away) and size 4 with hunting, a settler was 100 turns as well. Spent a few hundred turns expanding, starting runes and took out Mahela after she declared on me), Auric and Capria. This took me to the top again and I switched to Beeri Bawl, who was isolated but had plenty of room, a decent capital but only 1 city still. I didn't play on. Was hard to get out of the Khazad hole and would have been hard to win as the Luchirup but I reckon this can be done at Monarch.

That's what happens on Erebus... if the Doviello (tundra) or Malakim (desert) are in the game we will be taking 100 turn long sets...

The only thing I'd hate is THE AI'S PLACEMENT ISSUES.

Greetings fellow team mates! Thanks for hosting this, Ozbenno! Just checking in ... I should probably add a disclaimer that it has been awhile since I've played any FFH and even back then I wasn't really all that good at it! :eek:

An interesting variant has been proposed, taking over the last place player. To me this just screams to go for a time victory. :shifty:

would like to play large or huge map but will happily play standard size if the groups PCs can't handle it.
I thought it was the size of the AC counter, rather than the size of the map, that was the limiting factor. :p Assuming no fiery landscape ... I know I'm fine on a large map, but I've zero experience on a huge map. Never tried one. :dunno: I can see why this variant might be a bit more interesting on the bigger maps, so I'm game for whatever the team decides.

Well let's try a huge map! Hellfire has been changed in the last couple of versions and doesn't kill PCs like it used to.

I think a random leader is the way to go, so if no objections I'll roll out a start in the next day or so and we can figure out a tactic.

I'll check if there are any patches out before starting as well.

Huge Erebus should be fine right? I haven't played many huge games up to the end, but I don't think it'll be slow.

No thoughts on the map?
I prefer random to fixed, so if you maintain your defiance
I'm defiantely having it on an Erebus map script
I'm good, any size.

I considered suggesting No Tech Brokering or Trading because I prefer a slow tech pace, but I don't know what would make this variant more fun, so I have no suggestion on settings, except that the game Speed be appropriately proportional to the map Size.

I dislike the idea of the Erebus script because the Doviello and Malakim are utterly buggered. If Nikis-Knight's one has balanced starts and surrounding areas then that would be good.

I'm going to have a lot of fun lurking this. Good luck guys!

I use aggressive AI and no tech brokering as standard options in FFH.

As for the Malakim and Doviello on Erebus maps, they can have great or indifferent starts. Doviello will always rush their nearest neighbours so usually won't be in last spot in any case. The Khazad and Luchirup tendency to stick to small numbers of cities is probably more a problem, regardless of the map we play. I've played pangeae maps where AI have been stuck in ice ball capitals and suck, luck of the draw.

The idea of random map actually has merit although the two times I've been in SGs with Conroe that we've rolled random maps, they were both tiny island archipelagoes :lol:

Keep the thoughts coming and I'll wait until later today before deciding.

First there is to note patch 0.34c is out. I have plunged into 0.34 yesterday and tested the Illians. All I can say is that they are a civ which is fun to play - being able to settle basically everywhere is nice. I have completed 2 of the 4 rituals and will soon work on the Draw to get Ascension and Auric Ascended :D . One important thing to note is that 0.34 needs a much more conservative early play - no fooling around with worker first and going scouting with your initial warrior. Due to the greatly increased number of explorable lairs (and the AI does explore them!) you get a high chance of seeing Lizardmen very early - the first 3 attempts of mine yesterday ended after some turns with a Lizardmen razing my Capital...

As for the map I'd be in favour of Fractal.

The problem could be that as we took over last place, it is more likely to be someone in the middle of a war!
Frankly, taking over for an AI at war isn't exactly a huge selling point for me! :p I am Ok with the earlier proposed Erebus script. I'm also Ok with a large map, but huge makes me a bit wary since I've never played one before. I'm willing to give it a try, though ...

·Imhotep·;7345994 said:
As for the map I'd be in favour of Fractal.
Nothing wrong with Fractal, either. If we really want to make things interesting, we could go with that Fantasy map that randomizes all of the terrain and resources.

·Imhotep·;7345994 said:
the first 3 attempts of mine yesterday ended after some turns with a Lizardmen razing my Capital...
Glad to know that I'm not the only one! ;)

The idea of random map actually has merit although the two times I've been in SGs with Conroe that we've rolled random maps, they were both tiny island archipelagoes :lol:
:hmm: :mischief:

Top Bottom