1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OB07 - The First Shall Be Last

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Ozbenno, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Jet

Jet No, no, please. Please.

What does random map mean? What script is that? Anyway, I don't have a preference between those two starts.

2. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Shuffle, which just produces a random map script (I believe).

3. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

Clearly Einon Logos. The start is good, and Einon is a strong leader.

4. Krick19

Krick19 Prince

Decius. I'd prefer not to start near the tundra, and besides, if we settle in place, we'll have some decent production.

5. Ozbenno

Well 1 vote for each and one no preference. If no other votes are received I'll start one save up in the next day or so.

I've just downloaded patch "d" so will be using that.

EDIT: Either start I'll be going Agriculture tech first and warrior build first.

6. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

Voting for Logos.

7. Ozbenno

Looks like Logos has the votes.

No dramas with warrior/Agriculture then? I'll start off later today.

8. Ozbenno

Firstly, patch "f" is out and it won't break save games so I've used that one.

Secondly, let's get this game going :)

Nothing too flash was revealed by moving the scout and warrior, so we settled in place, research Agriculture and building a warrior.

The first turn showa that we are at the end of a landmass.

Clan of Embers is in the game as he casts "For the Horde".

Our scout explores a lair and gets a poisoned blade and then kills a bear with it :goodjob:

Our warrior is not so lucky against a griffon.

We build a warrior and then start another.

I played 20 and got this far.

The map script looks like Fractal or Achipelago (snaky continents). We haven't met anyone yet so no early rush tactic here.

What is the plan?

Score has 4 components, population, land, techs and wonders. The first two are weighted heavily, so mad REXing is probably the best chance to get #1 in score.

Research wise, Animal Husbandry and Mysticism would be good. We are Philosophical so an Elder Council and employed sage can get us an early bulb (remember no academy as we're just renting) for more score.

After the next warrior, maybe worker/warrior/settler?

Also, don't worry too much about unhappiness as we're just interesred in score.

Let's set the roster in the first round by who plants a "got it" first and we'll stick to that roster for the rest of the game. Feel free to play 20-25 turns this time round. Don't worry about playing round numbers if stopping at a particular point makes sense.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

9. Jet

Got

( large image of flag planting deleted )

it.

10. Jet

20 - Continued Warrior/grow/Agriculture.
    21 - Scout fought off a spider and popped 51 gold from a hut. Saw griffons off the west coast, so left a dark spot on the west coast of the jungle unexplored and went more east.
    29 - Grew to size 3 and stagnated on production tiles to finish the warrior in 3 turns.
    32 - Warrior -> worker and readjusted tiles. Sent the warrior to explore the dark pocket to the NE, then fortify in the forest at the south of the desert
    32 - Agriculture done. Usually I'd research Education at this point, but for this game I wonder if we can get to first place with more growth and less tech. So I started Calendar to boost growth on grass farms, and for the incense for the commerce and maybe more growth. Also maybe for the spices.
    34 - Lost the scout to another spider. Mobile warrior saw a griffon 1N of the shipwreck and fortified on the hill forest.
    35 - Warrior fought off the griffon and took Woodsman 1.
    38 - Witch event in the capital. Didn't execute her, no need.
    45 - Nothing else. Warrior is fortified on the forest 5N of the capital. Worker in 6, Calendar in 29.

There's room south of the desert for 3-5 more cities supported by grass farms. I suggest we settle those, using Education or Fishing to give them something to work besides farms and forests.

Attached Files:

11. Ozbenno

Calendar is a good move (I forgot agriculture civic got moved) more food is good. I'd still think that Mysticism for an elder council would be better than Education. We might not want to cottage anything, just farm for bigger size.

Who wants it next?

12. Conroe

Conroe √∞

If this is an archipelago map, getting score from land could be tough. We've got the food for pop, but I think we might need to supplement it with tech.

I like Calendar, but I also like the idea of 'bulbing a GS. We might ought to throw in Fishing to the mix at some point, as well.

Its gonna be a busy weekend for me, so I doubt that I would be able to play before Monday. :sad: I'll let someone else grab it before me ...

13. Ozbenno

There is plenty of land to the north and we've yet to discover anyone else. I think land and pop can be maxed but the odd bulb will help.

14. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

How does this high to low thing work? Do you have to know each civ before it triggers or is it just raw score?

15. Jet

I looked at the code. After a 50 turn grace period at the beginning of the game, it will swap you if you're in first place, simple as that.

16. Ozbenno

In my test game, all you had to be was equal first in points as well.

Anyone able to grab it in the next 24 hours or it will go to Conroe after that!

17. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I guess I'll go ahead and grab the save, then.

18. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Not exactly an action packed set of turns ... I completed the Worker that Jet started and trained us another Warrior (our 3rd). An attacking Griffin netted one of our boys a promotion. Other than a lot of pressing enter, nothing else happened. After cranking out a couple more fog busters, it is probably time to begin Settler production ...

The save is attached ...

Patch "f" was gone by the time I had a chance to play, so I played it on "g". Not certain, but it doesn't appear to break the save. Sorry 'bout not downloading "f" quicker. :blush:

Attached Files:

19. Ozbenno

OK, it is up for Imhotep, Krick19 or Quotey to continue on, expansion and growth is the way to go.

20. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

I built a warrior or two and started a settler.

I revolted to Agarianism and started Mysticism.

I lost another explorer. We have TONs of land.

We get my favourite early game event. I dunno what we should do with the Prophet though- maybe keep for bulbing something later?

Attached Files: