obsoletes castle - doesn't make any sense!

DeadFish

Warlord
Well, been playing all morning, I just found out that castle that built in a city is removed when it becomes obsolete - I find it is a really STUPID! It'd stay for cultural purpose.

Sid, WTF??? Honestly, WTF?! Try coming to England and visit York or London, they still have castles!

I'm truly disappointed now.

yes - castles do produce culture - if removed then culture gets weakened.

stupid - stupidest i ever heard!

I'd like to think about my cities that have cultural and historical buildings like castles, etc. When castles are removed, the cities'd not be historical anymore.

REALLY disappointing!!

I can understand when castle becomes obsolete, you can't build it anymore like real life - that is fine but old cities should keep castles like real life!

Sorry to appear dim, but what you are saying is: when castles become obsolete, they stop producing culture, yes? That's your gripe. Yes?

Or is it that you can no longer see them on the map?

Or is it that their defensive bonus is removed from cities?

Because if it's the culture, I completely agree with you. If it's any of the other things, I wouldn't agree.

'Sorry to appear dim, but what you are saying is: when castles become obsolete, they stop producing culture, yes? That's your gripe. Yes?'

Yes, stop producing culture is my gripe.

I thought that Economics obsoletes the castle, which only removes the new +1 trade route benefit.

DeadFish said:
'Sorry to appear dim, but what you are saying is: when castles become obsolete, they stop producing culture, yes? That's your gripe. Yes?'

Yes, stop producing culture is my gripe.

I never realised. Well, then sign me up too! I think that is plain wrong.

Nah - you've got something wrong there - let me just load up warlords...

Ok, it says when building a castle:

+1 :culture:
+1 trade routes
50% defense (Except vs Gunpowder-based Units)
Double Production Speed with Stone
Obsolete with Economics (Except defensive bonus)

So, I loaded a save from later on in the same game, after the discovery of Economics, and while I can no longer build new castles (which makes sense), existing castles still provide a cultural bonus.

'So, I loaded a save from later on in the same game, after the discovery of Economics, and while I can no longer build new castles (which makes sense), existing castles still provide a cultural bonus.'

Not really - I had 2 castles in 2 cities (obviously) but when castle became obsolete, they have disappeared, I'd not see them on the list on left side of city screen anymore.

It pisses me off big time. Not realistic.

That would make sense, so they work like monastries. When monastries become obsolete they still give culture but more can't be build. You can also make missonaries in cities that have obsolete monastries when not running organised religion so it can be good for spreading religion.

I think there is something screwy going on.

In my current game I had built Stonehenge and had monuments in each of my cities. Then, once I researched Calendar, every city all of a sudden lost its monument. Not just the bonuses, but the entire monument, culture and all, just vanished. :(

Does the original poster have any mods installed that could affect the game..?

Just ended the game - I won. Anyway the statistics on info screen says built - castle - 0, does it mean I actually haven't built a castle?

Hmmm, I was sure I did build some.......

Hope I haven't built some......

'Does the original poster have any mods installed that could affect the game..?'

Nope.

Keith_C said:
Ok, it says when building a castle:

+1 :culture:
+1 trade routes
50% defense (Except vs Gunpowder-based Units)
Double Production Speed with Stone
Obsolete with Economics (Except defensive bonus)

whoa, cant believe i never saw the +1 trade route bonus
i'll be building castles aplenty from now on !

=DOCTOR= said:
In my current game I had built Stonehenge and had monuments in each of my cities. Then, once I researched Calendar, every city all of a sudden lost its monument. Not just the bonuses, but the entire monument, culture and all, just vanished. :(

No, it's supposed to do that. If you want your monuments to stick around, you'll have to build them separately yourself (no Stonehenge).

guys please answer my last question - i'm sort of worried about my civ4 it might be 'broken' or not.

thanks in advance

DeadFish said:
guys please answer my last question - i'm sort of worried about my civ4 it might be 'broken' or not.

thanks in advance

If the game says you built none, then you probably didn't. Why don't you try loading a save from before Economics (if you have one) and see if there are any castles? If you don't have a save, try starting a new game and use World Builder to get the technologies to build castles, build a couple, play a few turns, then use World Builder again to get Economics and see what happens.

Top Bottom