1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OCCC1- One city Conquest

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Kulko, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Looked at save. I still think that Zimbabwe too strong. I recommend make this deal, redeclare and focus on other two Zulu Cities.
    Pillage all Zulu land around Zimbabwe first, use Army ability.

Also, it is reasonable to declare to America and pillge Saltpeter. but I don't know about priorities.

We can now sort rush Bezerek. Use MI first turn, we may have less then 30s first and have food.

2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I'm doing this, whenever there is no forest ready. But we still have 3 forests, which we can use.

Ok, continuing to play.

T181, 660 AD:
    Take Intombe, losing one Berzerk.
    Now I take the afore-mentioned peace deal for 346g (they lost the rest when I captured Intombe...), 10gpt, Tula, Tugela, Monarchy and Eduction.
    The Zulus are down to two cities!

T182, 670 AD:
    The Zulus kick us out, but I want to keep the peace for the moment. The units are teleported closer to America, as I expected....

Preparing attack on America.

T183, 680 AD:
    More preparation.

T184, 690 AD:
    10 Berzerks are in place. Attack Detroit, take it with 4 Berzerks (1 loss).
    Take St.Louis with 2 Berzerks, spawning a new MGL: Hubba!
    Unfortunately there is no way we can get 8 towns this turn...

Redeclare on the Zulus and bring Healfdene back into position.

T185, 700 AD:
    Lose a Berzerk trying to kill an American settler/pike pair :mad:

In the interturn 5 units moved out of Zimbabwe, apparently trying to reach our new MGL... Killed 3 of them without losses.

Arrgh, on my last turn I notice there is Galley F and two ACs fortified at a lonely island in the south see :( What is the use of that. Moving them to Buffalo(?) now.

Handover notes:
    • Galley M is on it's way to bring Hubba and another worker home.
    • 6 Berzerks are now healing outside Boston and ship-chain is in place to bring two more. So in T187 you can attack Boston.
    • The AC on the mountain can try and pillage the American iron. Also two Berzerks can try and capture Buffalo after healing, though it will probably not happen on the first try, too many pikes down there.

3. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Why you did not pillage zulu land? Army pillage is free move...
    I left it to prevent settelment near Iron/saltpeter. They are weak vs Pickman / musketeer.

4. Lanzelot

I waited 2 moves before redeclaring on the Zulus, the Army had to heal first anyway. Then it needed 1 move to get back into their territory and then I pillaged the furs (free move) and killed two units. That was the last turn.

Probably we can repeat that in the following turns (after healing): one pillage and 1-2 kills per turn. (I think the Zulus will move units out of Zimbabwe as long as we leave Hubba there as "bait"...)

5. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I think next player next...

Just realize that will not have time to play until Saturday, and unfortunately have no time to write turnlog. Played not the best way, probably to reduce losses better wait 1-2 turns before take Zimbabwe. But as it is... Hopefully workers will defend landing. Not sure, about when and how finish dogs.

What is important to defend Saltpeter 5 workers on and around may help to prevent Inka from settlement there.

Attached Files:

6. Lanzelot

Uff, Healfdene won with 1/14!!

Any idea, how strong Washington might be?

Plan: there are 3 Inca towns on the Zulu-continent. Can we capture all three of them in the same turn, then disband Healfdene and turn Hubba into an Army? It could be useful on either the Inca- or Mongol-continent... :think:

7. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I think we will manage to kill America without Army.

It is very important to control saltpeter continent. Success rate of Bezerks vs Musketeers very low.

8. Lanzelot

Kulko: do you want it? Otherwise I will play on Sunday.

9. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I am not sure if I will have time on saturday evening. I will post a got it when I play, otherwise you can take it on sunday.

10. Lanzelot

11. Lanzelot

Preturn:
    Move remaining units.

T194, 790 AD:
    Healing and moving.

T195, 800 AD:
    The Incas start Smith's Trading Company.
    More healing and moving.

T196, 810 AD:
    Still healing and moving.

T197, 820 AD:
    Killed 4 American units.

T198, 830 AD:
    Units in Zululand have finally healed, but now Healfdene is kicked out of Incan territory north instead of south!

T199, 840 AD:
    Ssss

T200, 850 AD:
    Zzzz

T201, 860 AD:
    Units finally reach New Orleans.

T202, 870 AD:
    Raze New Orleans, no losses.
    A stack of 11 units finally assembled in America begins its march towards Washington.

T203, 880 AD:
    The Incas start J.S. Bach's Cathedral
    A Longbow kills our last Musket, a Berzerk needs to kill the protecting Pike -> only 9 units left.

T204, 890 AD:
    9 units reach Washington.

T205, 900 AD:
    One AC retreats from LB attack. The remaining 8 units can now attack Washington:
    Ber 4/4 vs Mus 4/4: Mus 3/4
    Ber 4/4 vs Mus 3/4: Ber 2/4
    Ber 4/4 vs Pike 3/3: Ber 3/4
    Ber 4/4 vs Pike 3/3: Ber 1/4
    Ber 5/5 vs LB 2/4: Ber 5/5, Washington razed.

That was easier than expected. But: the Americans have founded another town this turn, so they are still alive!!

Handover notes:
    • Three units are on their way to the last American town, Boston. That should be enough.
    • The rest can now be brought into position for our final attack on the Incas. They have founded 6 new towns in the last 10 turns and also have a large tech lead, so it's about time we cut them down to size.
    • We need a few more galleys now, I've lost a few in sea battles.
    • After we have built like 2-3 new galleys, I suggest to switch all forest/hills to coast and fill our granary again, while cash-rushing Berzerks in 1 turn. We have so much gold, we won't need it till the end of the game (2-turn Berzerks cost us 52g every other turn, while our income is 38gpt). Now is the time to spend that gold, so that it has the best impact. Incaland will be heavily defended... After the gold is spent, we switch back to 2-turn Berzerks.
    • I suggest that we first capture all Inca towns in former Zululand and on the island, and afterwards attack the core coastal towns from the sea, and in the end land a force to take the inland capital. I still suggest that we should try to take the last 3 Inca towns in Zululand in one turn, so that we can disband Healfdene and form a new Army for the attack on Cuzco (or the invasion of Mongolia?!)
    • Mongolia is still hopelessly backward, and also they don't seem to expand any longer. Even though there are many free islands, they haven't founded any towns for a long time. Looks like they are indeed "paralyzed" from WW by now?!
    • I started a big project: the ship lanes, which are sending troops to the front, should ship slaves back home on the return trip. I want to block the entire coastline of our home continent. It looks like it works, because for a long time no foreign units have landed on our continent, even though there are still open spots (but far away from our city).

12. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Got it.

13. Lanzelot

PS: Remember: first rush worker (80g), then musketman (200g) and let the normal production finish the Berzerk in on turn. (BTW: are we able to build Privateers? That would be nice, because Privateers are 50s, so we could shortrush for 240g instead of 280g....)

14. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Ah forgot about the musket. So wasted cash for one more Berzerk.

America is gone, after building 2 more cities and sending another one on a galley.

Mongol is having a landing party on our west coast, but they seem to have problems deciding where to land. I pulled out a few workers from the coastline near Trondheim, so look out for holes, when you have more workers around.

The landing against the incas is mostly prepared, unless we want to shoot for 8 cities to keep both armies. There is a stack of 8 Zerks located where it can reach 4 incan cities, as well as 2 AC which could attack too. Unfortunately our army was cultured out of its fort and cant reach anybody in the first turn.

Inca has also finished Copernicusin the middle of the turnset.

Attached Files:

15. Lanzelot

We don't need to take the first 3 towns we capture. We can first capture everything on the Zulu-continent with the help of Healfdene and then capture 3 island towns somewhere and disband Healfdene afterwards.

16. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Technically got file, but still have no time to look at it.

Looked at save. What idea about attack? I think better to regroup to attack many Cities in 1 turn...

17. Lanzelot

In order to negate war happiness for them?

Maybe. In general I think it is not important, how many towns we take on first turn. Once we have troops in place to take let's say 2 towns for sure, we should no longer wait and start the war. The only thing that is really important: by the time that Healfdene is no longer useful on the ex-Zulu continent, we must be able to take 3 towns in one turn, disband Healfdene and form a new Army.
    The southern towns in Zululand are older and bigger, so probably better defended than the relatively new towns in the north. (Probably only one spear in the northern towns?!). So Healfdene should be used against the towns in the south. When these 4 are captured/destroyed, disband Healfdene and then capture some of the norhern towns plus 2-3 islands. Station galleys so that they can reach multiple towns in that turn, so that we take 3 of them for sure! (Once we attack the Incan home continent, it will no longer be possible to take 3 in one turn, and then we won't have another chance for a new Army.)

18. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

As currently positioned we should e able to take 4 towns in one turn, which seems to be the maximum possible with opur limited number of Berzerks. The only thing that might be worth doing beforehand seems to be to position the army+ Horses such that they can attack the new formed town near the salpeter.

19. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

What I see now that troops can easy take 1 City, but not 2-3.
    Also I want decent cash flow...
    Probably I will use trade/harbor sale trick.

20. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

There is a stack of galleys with 10 zerks, which can reach in one turn 4 cities and use naval attack on them. Its locate north west of the former zulu islandß