1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OCCC1- One city Conquest

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Kulko, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I played 8 turns with the plan we have.
    Cleaned All Inka Cities but main continent.
    As a peace deal get also 69 gpt.
    Have Navigation.
    Have new empty army. Also at peace with Mongols.
    What to do next? War with Mongols or prepare final attack to Inka?

Attached Files:

2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

My gut feeling tells me that the Mongols are not a serious threat by now. They are backwards and no longer expanding even though there are lots of islands which they could settle. So it really looks like they have been paralyzed by WW for quite some time.
    Let's rather finish the Incas first.

They question is: do we need the new Army more in Incaland or more in Mongolia? The Inca continent has only one inland-city, all others can be reached by amphibious Berzerks, so no losses in counter attacks until we actually need to land to take the last city.
    The Mongols may have built huge stacks of units by now, so the Army might be better used there?

(Haven't looked at the save yet, will do so tonight.)

3. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

My suggestion is to put TWO Zereks in Army. And use it directly from Caravel.

We may also send Caravel in the lake to attack capital.

4. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I thought Armies dont have the Amphibious Ability, even when filled with Zerks or marines.

5. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I checked the save and the Mongols are still savely behind us in Tech, still lacking Gunpowder and Chiv.

So I vote lets get rid of the incas fast. The diea of landlocking a ship in that lake is actually pretty good, although we probably need more than one ship of zerks, unless I am mistaken about the army thing.

6. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

they do, if all units are of the same amphibious kind.
    t_x

7. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I recon that I will not have time to play until Saturday night and will not have internet connection.
    So I put this file here for next player.

We are at Peace with war preparation with Inka. Inka sail WEST near our south caravel to island, probably to settle. We may declare war now, but we will lose 69 gpt.

Probably it is reasonable to wait 1-3 turns.

I think it is efficient to use 2 turn zerks factory, via MI (29 s+ cash) + 30 spt next turn.

I recommend to keep some forces near Saltpeter/Iron to avoid settlement there.

Attached Files:

8. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I will try to play the next turnset today in the afternoon.

9. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Ok after fighting myself through hordes of incas, I juat couldnt Stop when only the capital remained. So I played though to 1270 AD but now the Incas are history.

I destroyed about 30 units, including two landings on our homeland. I had a rief war with mongol but ended that one in order to gift them inca Cities.

The idea with sending the army onto the lake worked to perfection, I send the army and a galley of zerks. Then I made 4 attacks on the city, rested the army, and switched the Zerks by over the landbridge at night. 2 turns later I made another 4 attacks. In the fourth attack I was finally lucky enough that the Incas had decided to send their remaining LBs elsewhere and I could remove the 3 Spears they left behind.

I have also worked on completing the worker barricade around our island, I think when the last caravel full of worker is back at the capital and 2 more ACs are produced it will be completed.

I lost one fully loaded Caravel when Incas performed a surprise attack with a returning ship and 3 more which were overhelmed after they had destroyed an inca city. But I am pretty confident we have enough army left to finish oof the mongols. Also we could probably swith to 1 turn Zerks for a few turns now as there is just not any other way to sensible spend all this cash.

Attached Files:

10. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Roster:

Kulko (just pülayed)
    Lanzelot (up)
    I.Larkin (on deck)

11. Lanzelot

Ok, I can take it tonight.
    I guess the plan is clear now: take everything, that can swim, for a visit to Mongolia...
    Will find a good use for our cash... :D

12. Lanzelot

I played 11 turns from 1275 to 1330. Events were as follows:
    • Used 3-4 turns for regrouping and then attacked. Quite interesting: we still had 8 turns left on the peace deal. So when I attacked, we got the war happiness back from the previous war!!
    • Took 3 cities in the first two turns, but then the attacked bogged down, because I had heavy losses, even though the Mongols only have spearmen (no iron nor saltpeter...). In one attack I lost 3 out of 6 Berzerks!
    • But due to producing 1-turn Berzerks for a while, reinforcements arrived quickly and I was able to resume the attack. Also the Army is now in the Mongol continent and caused some damage.
    • Now in 1330 I have them down to 2 cities and one island. So the rest should be clean-up work...
    • The plan I suggest: there are 6 Berzerks down at Hovd. They may not be enough, as there are still dozens of spearmen running around down there, so perhaps more Berzerks need to be shipped down there. Meanwhile the Army stack can heal a few turns and then move to Karakorum. It's the only non-coastal town, so we can best use these land-units there. (Also a ship with an eAC and vMI from America is en-route to Karakorum.) The Army can provide cover for some Berzerks that may need to go at land. One ship (or two) can take the last island on the way to Karakorum.
    • After the heavy losses, we soon got war weariness and I had to raise lux up to 20%. So when I got an MGL, I used it for a Colosseum. Unfortunately that still wasn't enough to drop lux down to 10%, so I build a temple at 2x30s afterwards. This currently gains us 10gpt after subtracting maintenance.
    • I also got another leader. It's currently being shipped home and can be used for rushing a Berzerk (and refilling the food box).

13. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Looking good, Larkin should be able to finish this one off.

Looks like the Third Zerk has made the army immune to longbow attacks, but we should be careful, 2 Zerks where not enough so with reduced hitpoints the AI might go for it.

I would have like to finish this by build Magellans voyage or something grand, ut it looks like we lost too much attackers already and need to rebuild.

14. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Probably yes. "got it"

15. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

We won 1385 AD.
    Get 2 Cities in Peace deal, then 5 turns heal, prepare.
    Used MGL for Cathedral.

Attached Files:

16. Lanzelot

So it looks like this strategy works pretty well. And I'm glad we didn't go for Demigod, that would have been too easy! Even on Deity I had the impression it wasn't too difficult?! Ok, we needed a good plan and some good play in various critical situations, but my impression is, that we always had the game under control and the outcome was never in much doubt, or what do you think?

Is it doable on Sid? (Is there any Sid OCC Conquest win on record?)

Thanks for the game! I think it was a well-played effort by all three participants!

17. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Wow :eek::eek::eek::eek:

We really did it. Ok Lanzelot is right it was never really in doubt, but still I didn't believe it to be possible beforehand.

I also thought the setup of islands to be suboptimal, with all these easy contacts the AIs got and with us 1 shield short of 30 shields. but OTOH the low distribution of gunpowder saved the day.

As for your question I had only found a One city Conquest on Monarch beforehand, which is why I wanted to start at a lower level. But you are right this might have been possible on Sid, although the much faster research pace of the AI might make it impossible. After all we wouldn't be able to win this against Infantry.

18. Lanzelot

Yes, for Sid one probably would need a more favorable map. If the AI can't get contacts and settle island before Navigation, it might be possible.

19. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

The question, would it be interesting to play that on a handmade map? Give each AI its island. Give us Access to two ivory and another lux, and iron and horses of course. And a starting location worth 30 shields in the long run. Most of this would be possible by maprolling,

20. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I do not remember OCCC for Deity SG won. I recall only Demigod, Ottomans, small Pangaea.
    They had good map but our was lot better. I never met before from Random(!) map 3 lux on individual island, monopoly on Ivory, River, and 3 Cows.
    Critical point was discussion about GLH, in "long run" it defenetly better then TGL.
    However, the fact that we got it without researching MMking ourselves was a stroke of luck. Power of our "style" was that after razing Cities AI gave more techs and gold for any peace treaty, it was good bonus at the end of the game.
    Second "bottelneck" was GP - saltpeter. Again, only Zulu really had Musketeers, and we manage to finish them before it was too late. We also manage to control our Island, with a short eventsof Americans there.
    I think on Sid those barriers could be too high and we could loose at some stage.
    If speak about artificial map all possible, however, on "naturally looking map" I may think about similar map but a standard or large size, to prevent AI's talk to each other before Astronomy, say.