[Official] Proposed Rule Change

The problem is right now that there simply is no reason for it to be 48 hours and therefore may as well be 24.
This defines the crux of the problem. In your opinion there is no reason for it to be 48 hours, but you're not playing on the team(s) who are taking time for their turns. They have a reason. And I'm not sure you should question that reason.

The easy solution is for teams to just end turns faster. I am not playing turns for Amazon but the turn by turn play right now should not be rocket science for any of the teams.

This defines the crux of the problem. In your opinion there is no reason for it to be 48 hours, but you're not playing on the team(s) who are taking time for their turns. They have a reason. And I'm not sure you should question that reason.

Indeed which is why it is a vote to see which other teams do not see a need for it to be 48 hours. Perhaps i am misreading your posts but on one hand you seem to be saying that each team should be allowed 48 hours to do whatever their democratic team wants them to do but then with your other hand you're dismissing the democratic nature of altering the turn times through a valid discussion and vote.

edit- Also this doesn't appear to be just my opinion, numerous other people have expressed concerns about what is taking so long.

Team Sirius presently has a 12-0 unanimous vote in favour of keeping the 48 hour Pitboss timer.

Considering we've now taken two turns in less then a day I think this rule judgement is really pointless. People really do need time to vote on things.

What happens if the teams voting no simply cannot play in 24 hours? Do we kick them out of the game?

Perhaps someone could post anything to explain just why for the foreseeable future there needs to be 40 hours required then it would explain to those of us who are at a loss to what is going on as I am sure I am not the only one that wonders this.

Why would they get kicked out of the game anyway? the game would carry on just they might miss a turn, how likely is it that not a single member on a team can not log in, move a unit and hit enter in a single 24 hour period?

Considering we've now taken two turns in less then a day I think this rule judgement is really pointless. People really do need time to vote on things.

How so? that argument means that it is pointless to have any turn timer and yet it is acknowledged we need one. The point is to encourage players to play their turn in a reasonable time, thus far this thread seems to have had an effect but what happens when this slips off the front page/no new posts?

Meaning we need time for people to chime in about other things then Warrior movement that are not in the same Timezone as me. Specfically the fact for example that Parkin and I are on the exact oppoiste points on the planet. So yeah we'd appreciate some time for debate and being able to discuss things.

Meaning we need time for people to chime in about other things then Warrior movement that are not in the same Timezone as me. Specfically the fact for example that Parkin and I are on the exact oppoiste points on the planet. So yeah we'd appreciate some time for debate and being able to discuss things.

Thank you, if you guys think that you need the 40 hours to debate where to move the warrior then that is at least a reason for it. CDZ would obviously disagree and state that there are only so many options when moving a warrior and thus we would prefer the team vote to continue just so this topic can be laid to rest if need be/the time altered.

What happens if the teams voting no simply cannot play in 24 hours? Do we kick them out of the game?

What happens if a team cannot play in 48 hours? Do we kick them out of the game currently? Of course not - so why ask the question? Why are we making this more confusing then it needs to be? Is it a case that if we make this as ridiculously and needlessly confusing as possible people will resolve to keep things as they are? It seems that way to me. But people here are better able to evaluate and think through the issue then in your average forum, afterall, we are Civ4 players, we are just a little better then everyone else. :smug:

I think that instead of painting fictional scenarios where all members of a team are unable to play a turn in a 24 hour period, or whatever the next imagined roadblock is, we should just vote on this. People here are reasonably intelligent and can weigh the good with the bad. :think:

Amusingly, It seems to me that all of the points being made for the "48 hour rule" could equally be used to support a 72 hour turn timer, or a 128 hour turn time, or (strongest of alll) no turn timer at all. So why stop at 72 hours? Lets see how slow we can go... :sarcasm:

But seriously, that shows that this isn't about what is "right" or "wrong" - its about personal preference. So lets just finish up with the vote and be done with it. No? That's the spirit of this game isn't it? For better for worse? Didn't someone mention something about democracy? I thought I read that...

Besides, people here want a good game - if we switch and teams do have some crazy major problem (like an EM Pulse going off over half of our globe) there is always room to switch it back... There is no need to write a novella on what could happen in 24 hours to prevent an entire team from playing. Just try it out. You might even like it. (Besides, all the cool kids are doing it).:cooool:

It's not just about the logging into
the game to make the moves. It's about giving people in the teams all a chance to put input on what is goig to happen

It's not just about the logging into
the game to make the moves. It's about giving people in the teams all a chance to put input on what is goig to happen

I respect that opinion. I respect it enough to say that you should be allowed to vote on this then! (as part of your team) :)

And I will defend with my dying breath (on this forum) your right to vote even though we disagree.:thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity though - what if your team can't arrive at a decision in 40 hours? What do you guys do then? If we bumped the turn timer to 70 hours and your team was unable to come to a decision in 70 hours, what would you do then? I'm just curious. If indecision left you completely inert how long would be reasonable for us to wait for you? Should we even have a turn timer? I mean, what if there is a really tough decision?

Then there is also teams that choose not to handle their own internal method of decision making with reason...

I read here a few posts ago that a one team hadn't even put this to a vote internally yet because no one had suggested that it be voted on in their internal forums yet, even though everyone is fully aware of it - it isn't an "issue" until it is formally made an "issue." I wondered when I read that if there was an official form that needed to be filled out.

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

Is anyone here familiar with the story of Buridan's ass? (ass = Donkey) I hope he isn't playing, because a 40 hour turn timer won't be long enough.

Cheers all :lol:

Quatronia's present vote is in favor of the keeping the current turn timer; with none against (had an abstain option though).

That's 3 teams in favor of keeping the existing timer, 2 in favor of lowering it.

Well then the poll is over, a draw would imply that things remain as they are. However, I would encourage teams to play their turns at a decent pace in the future, delays are only going to kill interest in a game.

That's 3 teams in favor of keeping the existing timer, 2 in favor of lowering it.

Good, Truth and Justice Prevail! ... oh wait... I was on the "losing" side. Ah well - I appreciate the structure that lets these things be sorted out democratically. :)

Cheers.

It seems that the vote of Team Mavericks is no longer really necessary. For the record our vote is to keep the existing timer, making it 4 vs 2.

Just curious BCLG100 but are people in your team really that impaitent with the pace that they want to quit?

Top Bottom