1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Official System Requirements

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by 2K Greg, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Testiethree

Testiethree Chieftain

does anyone know if i can run civ 5 on an inspiron 560s with nothing upgraded? if not, would a new video card help?

2. Mannu

Mannu Chieftain

3. Geek113377

Geek113377 Human (Usually)

I meet all the minimum specs EXCEPT the graphics gard (I have a radeon 3100). and i have a laptop, so i can't just upgrade the card. I AM PISSED! but canyourunit.com says i can run N:TW, and i have seen posts on this thread saying the req. specs are very similar. i am taking civ5 off my wishlist until the demo comes out, and not puting it back on until i know i can run it acceptably. i don't have the money for a new computer! what happened to all that hype about "we are making civ5 able to run on anybody's netbook?" FIRAXIS?!?!?!

4. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

That's got AMD RS880 Integrated Graphics which scores only 128 on those benchmarks I referred to.

In that case many of us laptop owners can probably stop worrying. That's a recent review, so the functionality and graphics in that pre-release build will probably be on par with what we should expect in the release.

That's hopeful then.

5. D712

D712 His Imperial Majesty

I agree completly. The thing is that (ive heard this, but im not an expert myself) napoleon: total war was more demanding in graphics, and if you can run it Im guessing you can run CiV. It just makes sense to me.

6. Elrikk

Elrikk Chieftain

My system:

- AMD dual core at 2.2 Mhz
    - Nvidia 7800 GTX
    - 4 GB Ram

Will this squeak by or will the video card simply fail ?

Elrikk

7. D712

So that means that their is good hope for me, you, and all the other laptop users out there!? :please:

8. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Chieftain

Put it this way guys, When a consumeable product is manufactured they put on a "Use By" Date, some products can still be used well after thier use by date, their use by date is always conservative, and in some cases very conservative, for example, cheese, technically starts as mould so it can't "go off" it can only become more matured :p.
    The reason the date is conservative is because of legal reasons, if someone gets ill and you said the product was still fine to consume for another month your open to law suits, where as if your conservative theirs less chance it will "go off" before the date.
    This will be the same for minimum requirements, technically it may run on some lower capacity machines, but if you buy it and it doesn't work you will want your money back, if however you brought it knowning it wouldn't work some shops won't give you the money back, i.e it says minimum of dual core, and you try it on a single core. But thiers still a chance it will work.

9. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

Looks good to me - not top notch, but comfortably playable :)

10. tokala

tokala Chieftain

Should be quite a bit faster than a 7900GS (official minimum).

11. FiveRings

FiveRings Chieftain

Thanks for the insights, guys! I am on the below-min level, so I'll continue reading the thread. Pls, someone let me know when and where the demo appears so I might do the check, thanks in advance!

12. trevort

trevort Corporal of Marines

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. Are there any PCI cards I could upgrade to? I would like to get as far away from the minimum as possible. Well, back to playing ROM2 with AND v1.73 Patch E.

My system has PCIe. Not PCI

13. J-man

J-man Chieftain

Video card wise I'm just under the recommended specs...

14. AljayBoy

AljayBoy Chieftain

Whats the chances of my laptop being able to do the business on standard maps?

Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit.

Processor: AMD Turion X2 mobile processor RM-70 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Cache Memory: 1 MB - L2 Cache

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - 512 MB ( Dedicated )
    Memory Allocation Technology: HyperMemory up to 2304MB

RAM: 4 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM ( 2 x 2 GB )
    Its a 32 bit system so only getting just over 3 gigs of RAM

Cheers.

15. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I'm worried if 3gb ram will be enough for smooth play, what do you think people?

16. tokala

tokala Chieftain

If you are stuck with PCI, no way. If it's PCI Express, it depends on what your power-supply (and your budget) can handle ;)

As CiV on a 32-bit system won't be able to utilize even 3GB, don't worry unless you prefer ultra-uber large maps.

17. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Final Threshold

What are the more important requirements here? I can probably discount the video card, considering you can run it on lower settings.

18. a5ehren

a5ehren Chieftain

You should be fine for standard maps.

I wouldn't discount the video card completely - I'm guessing the "Minimum" specs are pretty conservative, but if you're down near that level you're going to be playing with all the graphics options set to low. Beyond that, I'd say the dual-core minimum spec is the most important - and if you're still running an old Pentium D I'd upgrade anyway.

19. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Final Threshold

I'm not really too interested in graphics. Not really one of the more important components of a game. Replayability and gameplay are far, far more important to me.

20. D712

:agree: