Old games..

I remember the game called King back in 1982. It was a simple turns based civilization game with a single city and a term of rule being 7 years (though you could be re-elected). I remember I lasted 19 years once before I was usurped.

There is one other CivFanatic out there that I know of whose introduction to this kind of strategy game was identical to mine. Anyone else? Or are you all too young? ;)

I am too young...Shockingly the first strategy game I got was Age of empires but since then the majority of games I have brought would be classed as a strategy game.

Originally posted by GenghisK
Hem, Stormerne, isn't King the same than King's Bounty? If yes, then I know KB :)

No. King's Bounty has graphics: KING does not. KING was played on a text-only terminal and was around with Colossal Cave, the text-only adventure game. I first played KING on an Intel ISIS system and Colossal Cave on a Texas DX10 system, both at work in 1982.

1. Seven Cities of Gold. I loved that game.
2. M.U.L.E.
3. The Dragon Warrior series
4. I'm sure there are more i am just tired!

You owned/own a Neo Geo GenghisK? Did you buy it when it first came out? The system's 300 dollar price tag was pretty bad but the worst part was it's game prices. some games were sold for 120+ dollar and this was 10 or so years ago! Todays games for the computer or video game systems now hardly go for more than 50$ when brand new (exceptions: Limited Edition games, Koei brand games(70+ bucks in 1990), Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES(70+ bucks in 1990, when it first came out, thank you Dad for getting me the most expensive game in the store even though you weren't rich!).

I missed a very good game by the Btmap Brothers: Chaos Engine.
And some other favourites should be added here.
1. Dynablaster
2. Spy vs Spy (even on C64 :) )
And Bubble Bobble was really fun, too.:crazyeyes

King sounds like a variant of Hamurabi/Hammurapi/whatever. A nice introduction to game programming.
Rules:
You have 10 years of rule
In year 1, you have 100 people, 1000 acres, 2800 bushels of wheat.
Each year, you have to feed the people (20 bushels/citizen), buy or sell land (prices vary each year between 15 and 30 bushels/acre), plant new wheat (1 bushel/acre) and work the fields (1 man can work 10 acres).
Next turn, the land had produced from 1 to 5 bushels per acre, some immigration (0 to 20 or so) had happened, some rats may have eaten parts of granaries, you may have had starvation, and occasionally, you had a plague halving the population.

Score was given as combination of starvation during the reign and wealth (acres and bushels).

ObOldgames: Sierra and Apogee games. Apogee was the first to understand the power of shareware demos, 10 years ago. Sierra just made cool games.

C.

Old Dos Games.

The Original Castle Wofenstein RULED.

Incanabulah (strat game..nobody had..you need the hercules color card--anyone remember when 8 colors was a big deal.)

Zork

Balance of Power (cool gloabal poltical game..played the Soviets or the Americans..very fun.)

Election (ran for the presidency..very cool..real candidates.)

Some football game I cannot remember the title. You know the game though..X's and O's..and the screen pass to John Riggins couldn't be stopped..neither could Walter Payton.

in no particular order

1. Empire (surprised no-one mentioned this yet!)
2. Gauntlet (the original mac version)
3. Spy Hunter
4. Sim City (the original mac version)
5. Out of this World
6. Karnov (dig that crazy Russian)
7. Dig Dug
8. Bubble Bobble
9. Lemmings
10. Romance of the Three Kingdoms

GenghisK wrote:

Oh right, those games are cool, indeed.

Btw, seems that you also have a mac eh? Did you try shufflepuck cafe? And the antic Lode Runner, which won't run under System 7...

Actually, I had a high school buddy who got an Amiga when it first came out, so I was over at his house playing sometimes.

I remember Lode Runner. That was a fun game, but very annoying, where if you fell down the wrong platform you had to run around all over the place to get back up there.

my top 3 games are

1. Doom 2 ( It rocks):D
2.civilization(It rocks also):)
3.x wing(It was good befor, but now it is not so good):(

:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:

Utopia, on the Intellivison!!!

But Civ 1 really got me hooked.

As well as Pirates!

One of my favorite games was Silent Service also.

Has anyone heard of a Real Time strategy made for the IBM that encompassed the ENTIRE WWII sea war? A great game, but could never find it again and forgot its name!!!

just a few of my fave C64 games.

Questron
Santa Paravia
Mars Saga
Archon
Archon 2: Adept
Castle Wolfenstein
from the PC archives:

let's not forget ZORK, king of the text adventures.
Secret Of Monkey Island
Duke Nukem 3D
Fairy Godmom
Skyroads
Commander Keen

Ah, old games, the very best type, and the only type I played up until late January 2001, when Civ2 came along.
The gold box AD&D games by SSI were and are my favourites
Warlords is good.
I recall bumbling about Commander Keen and Kings Quest 1
There was a terrific little one called "Vampyr" that I am still trying to finish. It would probably be late 80s, very early 90s.
Civ1 and Colonization are quite nice
Wolfenstein was interesting for its time, and a little Lemmings now and then eased tension.

I have a small collection of games I have downloaded as abandonware or whatever, but most of them do not work: Centurion Defender of Rome does,
and Buck Rogers does (but needs MoSlo to work on this computer:( )
Command HQ, Conan, Warlords 2, Shadow President, Covert Action, Red Storm Rising and Su-25 Stormuvik are the ones that do not work.
Such is life.

Tis impossible to find these good old games these days. It seems people are too sophisticated for these classics. Well not me.

Give me an old good game anyday, rather than these new fangled things...

Top Bottom