Old timer's, what are your thoughts so far?

Nope, the standard to which civ6 will have to compare is the Community Patch. AUI is a baby compared to CP's AI (especially the last 1.7.7 version...)

Oh really? So you are saying CP is even better than AUI? Can it move and shoot? Must start a new game with it ASAP

I am extremely optimistic about civ6. My biggest hope/fear is the AI - I hope it does not go backward from where it is in civ5, given the devs wrote everything from scratch. And by civ5 I mean where it is today with the Artificial Unintelligence mod

I've become quite skeptical about this "written from scratch" thing, because Bethesda. They always have a "brand new" engine like that, yet Fallout 4 inherited some of the bugs found in Morrowind.

Oh really? So you are saying CP is even better than AUI? Can it move and shoot? Must start a new game with it ASAP

Yes, AI can move and shoot with community patch. It also can much more. Community Patch + Community Balance Patch + few other additions = Civ 5,5
It should be imo the most popular mod to this game :p

I usually read through threads before posting however the topic seems to be a personal question so I'll provide my two cents as a life-long Sid Meier follower. This man has been very influential in my life as I started back when my best friend was playing Colonization in his bedroom. I was so jealous he had that game and had not told me about it until I happened upon it one day. So unappreciative.

Over the years I've seen the ebb & flow of each generation, appreciating them for what they are, flaws included. That being said, so far I'm all-in. It seems like the most dynamic of all the generations on so many levels. It makes me so happy that a wonder takes up a tile & the district idea in my mind is fantastic. The new resources make me happy, the re-org of the Tech Tree fascinates me.. Portugal is my favorite Civ to play, if not then I'm Venice. I like making money and generating culture. Any way to boost these efforts would make me swoon.

Furthermore, the diversity of the starting civilizations (in terms of typical starting set) is encouraging. I'm curious as to how it's going to be a modder's dream. That could be really fun learning to make my own Civ. I know who I'd wanna make first. I'm totally down for more dynamic diplomacy (FINALLY)!!! How interesting would it be if a barbarian captured a settler and takes it to his camp, creating the Gothic Empire, or the Golden Horde, or Celts, etc.?

I appreciate the detail they're putting into this game, and am forever grateful for the years of obsession you've given me. I've spread the joy to other friends, family... my dad LOVES Civ IV & swears by it. He introduced his business partner & his brother the game.. the gift keeps on giving.

So, I started playing with Civ2. I also have some grey hairs. I guess that qualifies me as an old timer.

Civ6 looks promising to me, although, I think you really need to reserve judgement until the game is actually in front of you. I've seen plenty of times in many Civ games (*cough* CivBE *cough*) where an interesting and promising game mechanic has gone sour in practice because it's poorly implemented. So, in general I'm optimistically hopeful.

Now, within the context that this next game will be a direct successor to Civ5, one big question I have is how they will handle 1UPT. I don't think 1UPT that started in Civ5 has killed the format. But, for Civ5's 1UPT to be up to par with Civ4's perfected stack combat, they either need to ramp up the AI significantly (probably impossible) or just make the AI less aggressive and do a whole lot more with diplomacy (possible but don't hold your breath) to offset the lack of war.

In other words, 1UPT is a big problem that they either need to solve or find ways to mitigate. I don't think they can solve it (i.e. make an AI capable of playing 1UPT as well as experienced players) but they can hide it. But will they? Probably not. But, alas, I will probably still buy and enjoy Civ6 while thinking longingly back to the days of Civ4.

I played the original Civ, but between MoO 2 and Civ 2 is where I became an addict. Those will always hold a special place in my heart (I even found my old Civ II tech tree poster and having it hanging up), but Civ V was the best of the series. By all accounts Civ VI looks to improve on this and looks to have done so amazing. I am extremely excited about this entry into the series. The new mechanics are really going to open the game up.

And no 1UPT was not a problem, it is a much better system than the old stack system.

So, just to clarify, I prefer playing 1UPT. It's genuinely more fun.

The problem I refer to is that the AI can't play 1UPT. The end result is an AI that's either impotent at war or that gets gigantic bonuses to the point that they're practically playing a different game. That's the problem I'm referring to.

This is aimed at guys who have been playing Civ since waaaay back in the day. I find veteran commentary always really spot on. Are you excited again or has the civ5 format killed it for you?

btw, I've been playing since civ 2. I was on this forum or the apolyton.net one way back in the day. I couldn't remember my account to save my life. I figured I'd jump on board again.

Cheers.

Civ1, what a great time that was! :cool: Didn't really like Civ5, that doesn't stop me from looking forward to this game, though :thumbsup:

Yes, AI can move and shoot with community patch. It also can much more. Community Patch + Community Balance Patch + few other additions = Civ 5,5
It should be imo the most popular mod to this game :p

Wrong.

Vox Populi should be the ONLY mod to this game.

Wait, no! Vox Populi should be THE game itself. :D

Move & shoot? Psss... move, shoot, maneuver, retreat & heal, flank, bombard... win.

Piss you off. Big time.

Been playing Civ since Civ 1 came out as a 14 year old. My favorite is still Civ 4 with Total Realism modpack. I loved how Great Generals were used to create super units in Civ 4 and adored corporations as well. Civ 5 was adequate at best. At first I was greatly disappointed but have come to enjoy the game. Very much looking forward to Civ 6...but anxious that Persia would be dropped as a Civ! Still waiting on an accurate portrayal of the Immortals as a UU.

I started with civ3. I can say that as I watched the buildup for CIV 5 I wasn't too excited with the mechanics, but I preordered with faith thinking they could never destroy the series. When I played CIV 5 the first time I thought........THIIIS SUUUUUCCKKKSSSSSS. I was severely disappointed. I vowed to never preorder again. As the years passed CIV 5 was saved by Beach and actually became a good game.

As I look at the mechanics of CIV 6 I actually like it very much, far more than I did CIV 5 as I followed it before release. The fact that Beach is at the helm, and the fact that I've always wanted cities to be expanded across the landscape (it really makes land mean something and strategy of placement actually exists, wayyyy more fun than endless farms and factories). Anyway, I'm trusting my instinct with this one and will preorder again. I really feel it will be great from the get-go and become even better over time. Not to mention that the composer from Civ 4 is back!!! Very excited as the Civ4 intro song was the best ever.

I've been at this cince Civ II. And like most I have favorite aspecs of each installment. Pound for pound I still put Civ III as the best one. In terms of realism in terms of graphics, animation and sound, Civ III is still tops. I still miss the galloping of horses headed to a destination, ships sailing on the ocean, the blast of battleship cannons, and best of all telling other Civs to "get out of my territory".
But each game has it's own charm. the music of Civ IV was great, the wonder movies were cool, I liked the flyover of fighter units, and the Leonord Nemoy narration of course. Civ V realism is impressive in terms of terrain and units. I like the dramatic score when war is declared and conducted. Of course the one drawback of V was the elimination of transport ships and sadly it doesn't appear that they'll return for Civ VI either.
Like the previous installments Civ VI will take some adjustments and getting used to. I know the somewhat comical looking leaders and other animations will require a bit of humor. And outside of the forest and jungle trees, the terrain is actually impressive. The color saturation is a bit extreme but that can easily be remedied. It's nice to see a return of wonder movies of a sort. And the flyover of fighters. The day/night sequence will be a hit. The horse/cavalry units are impressive and realistic. and this is just after viewing only a few details. I look forward to learn what details/Civs are next. A full list of units would be nice. Overall i think Civ VI will be a huge hit for both long time and new players. One more turn.

Old timer here - began with Civ II, enjoyed Civ IV, and now looking forward to Civ VI... seems the even-numbered games are my favourites!

Been playing since Day 1 of Civ 1 (see signature). My mom came home with a demo (remember the 5 inch floppy disk?), I got to play Greece for a few turns (and yes, Alexander's empire was pink). Never looked back, through CTP, Civ Rev, and all the standard iterations.
Each new Civilization game has brought new ideas, some good, some not so much.

Overall, though, I think this one has many ideas that I am excited about. Unstacking cities? Big positive. I always try to have many wonders in many different cities, seeing one capital with 12 wonders was always a little immersion breaking. 1upt has its good and bad points, but I can see, if implemented properly (or well), a definite upside, especially with limited stacking. Always loved the new civs, leaders, wonders, and, in the last few titles, UUs, UBs and UIs that have been brought into rotation. I've been a huge history buff all my life, and Civ has helped feed that over the years. Though I would still like more than one SE Asian or Sub-Saharan African civ not named Zulu per game (but keep the Zulu!). I am excited about the government card system (3/4 of the real world today consider themselves republics, yet each has very different policies in response to their culture, history, and geography), and the culture vs. science trees for multiple types of victories seems impressive. Can they make naval warfare at least a little better? We'll see, but unless the devs don't read these posts, and I know they do, I think they will have something figured out.

I have no issue with the graphics, personally.

Now, I don't expect this to be all roses. At least, there are always a couple thorns (bugs) here and there on release. Still, given what Civ 1 originally started out as, and how it's morphed into such a complex (yet simple) 4x game, I am positive about Civ 6 overall being the best one yet. I generally haven't been disappointed, CTP notwithstanding (though it had its moments).

If Civ VI steps away from the 1UPT failure of V I might buy it.

Started with Civ II Gold as that was when I bought my 1st computer, a 486 with 4 megs of Ram and a 20 meg HD. Played All the III series, Smac and Smacx, CtP I and II, and then Civ IV vanilla until BtS came out. Have played BtS almost exclusively since then.

CiV was not bought nor any of it's expansion packs because of Steam and More importantly the Stupidly simple minded 1UPT concept. Bought Civ:BE with High Hopes ( I finally succumbed to the Steam stranglehold because this was supposed to be Sid's big leap back into Space). Unfortunately for my hopes they were dashed.

Now as for Civ VI, since the same lead designer of V is leading VI I'm not too impressed. As all the "longtime" V players are (really you're a Long Time player if you only started with V???). And every article seems to only be about how VI is "making changes from V" and No talk about how VI will hold the truly longtime fan, as their point of view (the Devs) is that long time players were V players and no previous version players exist, or else when even mentioned (and that in passing) because 1 of the Devs actually did "some work" on IV BtS.

As you can see from my sig line I'm part of the Mod Team for the 2nd most popular Mod for BtS, FFH still leads (tip the hat to it).So I'll be waiting for after release reviews to see if (as one poster put it) it's an instant classic. Or if it's another failure to connect as V and BE where/are.

JosEPh

If Civ VI steps away from the 1UPT failure of V I might buy it.

Started with Civ II Gold as that was when I bought my 1st computer, a 486 with 4 megs of Ram and a 20 meg HD. Played All the III series, Smac and Smacx, CtP I and II, and then Civ IV vanilla until BtS came out. Have played BtS almost exclusively since then.

CiV was not bought nor any of it's expansion packs because of Steam and More importantly the Stupidly simple minded 1UPT concept. Bought Civ:BE with High Hopes ( I finally succumbed to the Steam stranglehold because this was supposed to be Sid's big leap back into Space). Unfortunately for my hopes they were dashed.

Now as for Civ VI, since the same lead designer of V is leading VI I'm not too impressed. As all the "longtime" V players are (really you're a Long Time player if you only started with V???). And every article seems to only be about how VI is "making changes from V" and No talk about how VI will hold the truly longtime fan, as their point of view (the Devs) is that long time players were V players and no previous version players exist, or else when even mentioned (and that in passing) because 1 of the Devs actually did "some work" on IV BtS.

As you can see from my sig line I'm part of the Mod Team for the 2nd most popular Mod for BtS, FFH still leads (tip the hat to it).So I'll be waiting for after release reviews to see if (as one poster put it) it's an instant classic. Or if it's another failure to connect as V and BE where/are.

JosEPh

I think I qualify as a "truly longtime fan" since I bought Civ I when it came out. I have played over 3500 hours of Civ V and find it to be the best Civ so far (of course, I expect Civ VI to be even better). It was also the best-selling Civ so far. Just to correct one point - the lead designer of Civ V is not leading VI. Ed Beach was the lead designer for Gods and Kings and Brave New World, each of which vastly improved on the vanilla version. They canned the designer of the vanilla version and replaced him with Ed.

Played Civ since the first and loved all of them Civs and especially enjoyed Civ V once it had all the expansions. I'm really excited about a new way to play Civ. Taking a week off just to play.

Well, I guess I qualify as an old-timer as well, having started with Civ I. I have played each of the games and enjoyed each of them for what they were. None of them have been perfect--they've all had things that have bugged me--but I played each of them to death.

So far I have to say that I like what I've seen of Civ 6. The idea of unstacking the cities sounds like it is going to completely change the way we play the game, for one. I'm also looking forward to the reworking of religion, as religion is one of my favorite aspects of Civ 5. The new diplomacy sounds like it is going to be a lot more fun as well. There are a few things that worry me a bit (Eurekas seem rather OP, to be honest), but it's still too early to know how everything will work out.

I expect that I will enjoy Civ 6 as much as I have enjoyed the other installments in the franchise. :yup:

Top Bottom